Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yet another Distinguished Revolver rule question.............

5 posters

Go down

Yet another Distinguished Revolver rule question............. Empty Yet another Distinguished Revolver rule question.............

Post by ric1911a1 5/31/2015, 10:16 am

Would it be legal to change the rear sight on my Colt Officer's Model Match from the stock Accro to an Elliason? I don't see where would/would not be allowed.

Thanks.
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Yet another Distinguished Revolver rule question............. Empty Re: Yet another Distinguished Revolver rule question.............

Post by Froneck 5/31/2015, 10:30 am

As far as I know just about any gun is allowed so it should be OK. Back when the rules were much stricter for the ball gun they allowed changing the Elliason to the Bo-mar replacement. (no longer made, I was told a while ago I got the last one they had) Even the low Bo-mar sights were allowed to be put on standard 1911's. So I'm sure different sights will be allowed in the .22 match as long as they are iron style.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Yet another Distinguished Revolver rule question............. Empty Re: Yet another Distinguished Revolver rule question.............

Post by james r chapman 5/31/2015, 10:57 am

CONVENTIONAL PISTOL
Rule changes effective 2014
3.1.4 Distinguished Revolver - The revolver must be capable of chambering and firing a 158-grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter .38 Special cartridge. It must be a factory manufactured revolver with no external modifications except for stocks which may be modified or changed because of the size of the competitor’ hand or to facilitate loading. Except for stocks and the honing of the sear or sear notch to make a more crisp trigger, and maintain a 2 1/2 lb. minimum trigger pull, no external or internal modification may be made to the revolver as manufactured and sold by the factory of origin. No parts may be removed from the revolver, either externally or internally, nor may any part be added, with the exception of milling the cylinder to accommodate moon clips.  Specifically prohibited is any system of recoil control based upon compensators, barrel venting, barrel porting or weighted grips. Exposed holes that have been drilled and tapped for mounting of a scope are not considered to be an external modification. 
(a) Trigger - Must have single and double action capability and must be capable of lifting 2 1/2 lbs when the revolver is cocked for single action firing. Triggers will be weighed. Any trigger, sold by the manufacturer of the revolver, without modification, may be used. 
(b) Sights - Fixed or adjustable rear sights may be used. An adjustable front sight is not allowed. 
(c) Barrel - Length not to exceed six and one-half inches (6 1/2"). 
(d) Stocks - Except as set forth above, the right and left stocks must be mirror images of each other. 
(e) Ammunition - Any safe .38 caliber ammunition using the 158 grain round nose or Semi-Wadcutter bullet only. 
(f) The following are not allowed. Trigger Shoes, compensators of any type or design; any external trigger stop device; any internal trigger stop not originally installed by the factory as original equipment in stock revolvers of the same make and model; tape on the stocks or stocks flared at the base.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 5/31/2015, 11:00 am

ric1911a1 wrote:Would it be legal to change the rear sight on my Colt Officer's Model Match from the stock Accro to an Elliason? I don't see where would/would not be allowed.

Thanks.

The rules state that no external changes can be made.
Pistol should be as come from the factory.

But, as I read it...
Since some of the Colt OMM's came from the factory with Alliason rear sights installed instead of the Accro's, then I would say that it would be legal.

IMO
Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 5/31/2015, 11:19 am

Clarence,

Where did you find that some OMM's came from the factory with Elliason sights?

What started me wondering about this is that the OMM .22 I bought a couple weeks ago has an Elliason, and I was trying to find out if they were ever a factory option.

I like the .38 Special OMM and prefer the Elliason sight.

Thanks.

Ric
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/31/2015, 11:37 am

Ok, that's a different question. Your now asking about .22 distinguished, not Distinguished revolver, right?
Regardless, if it is, or was, offered factory your good.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 5/31/2015, 11:46 am

Opps I was confused, I was thinking .22 CMP match not Distinguished Revolver. If we are back to CMP .22 then that's different.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 5/31/2015, 11:51 am

ric1911a1 wrote:Clarence,

Where did you find that some OMM's came from the factory with Elliason sights?

What started me wondering about this is that the OMM .22 I bought a couple weeks ago has an Elliason, and I was trying to find out if they were ever a factory option.

I like the .38 Special OMM and prefer the Elliason sight.

Thanks.

Ric

Ric;
I was talking to a collector a few years ago when I was using my Python from the custom shop with Alliason sights for DR.
Got to talking with him about the OMM's and asked if any came from the factory with the Alliason's installed since I prefer them over the Accro.
If I remember correctly is words were "a few of them went out the door".
Take it for what it is worth.
I had no reason to doubt him.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 5/31/2015, 12:10 pm

For clarification, I am referring to the Distinguished Revolver match, not the .22 EIC. 

It appears, based on the current information, the Elliason sight would probably be allowed.

I have been shooting my S&W K-38 for the DR, but may switch to the Colt OMM

Thanks for the replies.

Ric
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/31/2015, 12:20 pm

Ric, interestingly, the NRA LE distinguished revolver rules allow you to replace the stock S&W rear sight blade with the much superior Weigand rear sight.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 5/31/2015, 3:58 pm

Deleted

Last edited by CR10X on 5/31/2015, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/31/2015, 4:07 pm

If the sight was available as a factory option or replacement.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 5/31/2015, 4:57 pm

Deleted

Last edited by CR10X on 5/31/2015, 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/31/2015, 5:43 pm

That's being anal about it. If you have a model 66, you may not have the front sight milled and replaced with a patridge . But, a model 19 with a red ramp pinned sight would have the partridge sight as a factory option.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 5/31/2015, 7:16 pm

Deleted

Last edited by CR10X on 5/31/2015, 7:51 pm; edited 4 times in total

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/31/2015, 7:26 pm

Oh come on! Thats idiotic. If I send my 4" model 19 to smith and wesson and ask them to install a 6" barrel with a partridge sight, and, as long as you have it, recrown the new barrel, re time it and chrome plate it. I'm shooting that in Distinguished Revolver matches and challenge the NRA to tell me otherwise!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 5/31/2015, 7:56 pm

Posts have been deleted  Thank you for your especially thoughtful input and discussion.

The words are what they are.  If there is some other supporting documentation that can be provided, please let me know.

Last edited by CR10X on 6/1/2015, 5:27 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Because it was needed.)

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/31/2015, 7:57 pm

We will agree to disagree then.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 5/31/2015, 8:04 pm

I just shot off an email to the NRA with the OP's question.
Will let you know what I receive if and when they reply back.

Chill out guys.
Everyone is entitled to their interpretation of the rules.
I, for one have been wrong with mine.
I too wish they would write the rules a bit better for my thick skull.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 5/31/2015, 9:26 pm

I'm chillin'

Yet another Distinguished Revolver rule question............. Img_2012
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down