Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Advantage Arms Target 22LR conversion loose pin

4 posters

Go down

Advantage Arms Target 22LR conversion loose pin Empty Advantage Arms Target 22LR conversion loose pin

Post by Mac2 6/21/2015, 5:38 pm

AA mounted in third 1911 frame that is a pre-war Colt Government 1911A1 (C166xxx s/n)  [First frame tried had a mag. well that was too small for AA mag. - second frame was Commander]
The AA conversion is accurate - when it works.  Need SV spring when shooting CCI SV or the conversion does not eject well.
However, today shooting in grass, the two-piece slide stop fell out and it took the help of a metal detector to find the parts.
The pin measures 0.1975" or 0.198" and the frame hole measures about 0.199"  - prob. too loose.
Ideas for keeping the pin in the frame?  Getting equipment ready for bullseye has been difficult.  If I chuck the AA as just too prone to difficulties (but accurate), what can one buy for the 22 phase?  This is for my good wife who is very keen on competing.  Thanks.   Mac2

Last edited by Mac2 on 6/21/2015, 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling errors)

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Advantage Arms Target 22LR conversion loose pin Empty Re: Advantage Arms Target 22LR conversion loose pin

Post by james r chapman 6/21/2015, 6:10 pm

I'd contact AA and let us know.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Advantage Arms Target 22LR conversion loose pin Empty Re: Advantage Arms Target 22LR conversion loose pin

Post by dronning 6/21/2015, 7:18 pm

Doesn't the guide rod tighten against the slide stop pin holding it in place? The only time I've seen the slide stop pin fall out was when the guide rod wasn't tightened.

- Dave

dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Mac2 6/21/2015, 7:29 pm

Thanks.  I did contact AA - but it is Sunday.
It is just possible that the rod was not as tight as it should have been.  Indicating another failure mode of concern.  Fortunately, my wife (who was shooting) has long experience with aircraft and knew at once that something was wrong.  The other failure mode encountered is the use by a major 1911 manuf. of a grip safety that seems to depend on a trigger having an over travel screw that is adjusted.  The old time grip safety has an almost fail-safe scheme.
Regards,   Mac2

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 6/21/2015, 8:15 pm

The recoil spring guide rod tightens against the slide stop pin that fell out. It couldn't have been tight if it fell out.

You definitely need a lighter recoil spring for CCI SV. I use a 7lb spring that I ordered from Marvel Precision.

Additional reliability can be achieved with a lighter mainspring. I use 19lb ISMI springs from Brownells.
Making it easier for the slide to recock the hammer helps make sure you don't short-stroke the slide.

The magazines do fit tightly in many frames. A little sanding on the magazine will help.

Stick with the AA. All .22s have their quirks. Once you have mastered them, you will have a reliable competition gun.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 6/21/2015, 8:28 pm

I agree, after looking at my AA, the recoil spring guide needs to be tight.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Advantage Arms Target 22LR conversion loose pin Empty Two mistakes - thanks for the education

Post by Mac2 6/22/2015, 8:46 pm

Two local colleagues, several on this site, and a very good/useful note from AA all led me to realize that I goofed. Here is almost certainly what happened:

I saw threads on the end of the guide rod. Threads should be lubricated and they were. I completely overlooked the fact that sometimes one wishes friction as an aid to keeping things together. Additionally, I did not realize/observe that the end of the guide rod is supposed to impinge on the slide-stop pin. Classic dual mistake.

I have learned and it is possible another person reading this will also learn.

The AA Target 22LR conversion is very good kit. The AA magazines are a world better than the Kimber magazines, but I need to craft an 0.127 diameter tool to facilitate loading same. The commercial units are a roll-pin inserted into a knob.

AA has suggested screwing the guide rod tightly. The hex end of the guide rod is 0.155 between flats and I am looking for an adjustable torque wrench that will be used at start of each session to ensure the rod is tight enough without being too tight. For a different reason, used such wrenches on competitive rifles.

Further aids to my education are welcome. Thanks for the help. Mac2

P.S. I tried to post picture of two 1911 grip safeties - an old Colt and a modern one. The differences are interesting. Must be a reference somewhere that tells one how to accomplish posting a picture.

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 6/22/2015, 8:57 pm

Mac,

Instructions for hosting photos is a sticky under the "Commercial Row" heading.

Don't worry about making the AA screw too tight and don't worry about a torque wrench. Just use the little wrench that came with the kit.

It is important to load the AA magazines by pulling the magazine follower down. I get malfunctions if I thumb the rounds in.

You don't need anything fancy....a nail works just fine.

Nelson sells a machined know to do the job. That might save you some trouble.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down