Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Long Line, Short Line Focus Question

+2
jmdavis
Tom Jadlos
6 posters

Go down

Long Line, Short Line Focus Question Empty Long Line, Short Line Focus Question

Post by Tom Jadlos 6/22/2015, 3:26 pm

It seems that I shoot better groups at the long-line when I focus on the dot, but shoot better groups when focusing on the target at the short-line.  My question: Should I from a consistency standpoint focus on either the dot or the target, but not go back and forth?  My scores have plateaued, so I'm looking for ways of advancing.  Thanks,  Tom

Tom Jadlos

Back to top Go down

Long Line, Short Line Focus Question Empty Re: Long Line, Short Line Focus Question

Post by jmdavis 6/22/2015, 3:32 pm

What drills are you doing? Are you using the Marine Corps Pistol Workbook? If not, it might be just what you need to move forward. It took me months to get through part of the 22 section. Then things started happening quicker. 

http://www.brianzins.com/training/
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Long Line, Short Line Focus Question Empty Re: Long Line, Short Line Focus Question

Post by SteveT 6/22/2015, 5:44 pm

Are you really sure you shoot higher scores focusing on the dot? I spent many years thinking SF was different than sustained. In SF I would shoot a small knot in the middle, but with more flyers. When I changed my SF process to focus on the target and pull the trigger faster and uninterrupted (like I did in sustained) My SF scores improved by 5+ points per target, though I did lose a few X's.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 7/2/2015, 11:52 pm

From listening to to the better shooters both seem to work. The danger to guard against, in my opinion, is shifting the focus During the shot process.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 7/3/2015, 7:44 am

Colt711 wrote:From listening to to the better shooters both seem to work. The danger to guard against, in my opinion, is shifting the focus During the shot process.

Ron Habegger
Yep, don't get caught looking somewhere in-between.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Long Line, Short Line Focus Question Empty Long line focus

Post by Dipnet 8/27/2015, 4:12 pm

During dry fire practice and probably due to being tired, I stumbled on looking at the long line target slightly out of focus. I am unable to explain clearly how I do this, but it likely common knowledge among kids. Any rate, by doing this, I started calling more "10s." Practice and reality may be related--I tried this at a recent range session and didn't score below 90 but once.

I think looking at the target out of focus tricks my brain into thinking I've been drinking; relaxed left brain dispassionately controls squeezing of the trigger. Weird, no? Seriously, there is something to this. Not April, dipnet
Dipnet
Dipnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down