Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Installed a New hinged trigger design for the 1911

+16
mpolans
scheibenpistole
Froneck
mspingeld
Dipnet
Wes Lorenz
71firebird400
AllAces
DavidR
LenV
Bubba Blaster
rich.tullo
Jon Eulette
Sa-tevp
BE Mike
markj
20 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Installed a New hinged trigger design for the 1911 Empty Installed a New hinged trigger design for the 1911

Post by markj Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:59 pm

I just finished putting together this new Wad Gun for myself. Its a Caspian frame, STI slide and Kart barrel. Im not a professional gunsmith, just a hobby for me, but Im pleased with the results. Had an unexpected day off today, so took it to the range, Just got home from Ransom Rest testing at 50 yards, and the gun is holding 10 shot groups under 1.75".

The big difference, as you can see from the pictures, is the trigger. I learned about this trigger from a post on another gun forum. Its an X-Line trigger.

Here is a link...http://www.xline-geppert.de/x-line%20trigger.htm

I contacted the manufacturer in Germany. He is a Bianchi Cup Shooter,  and was very pleasant and helpful in Emails, So I placed an order. If you are familiar with the operation of the fire control group of a 1911, the pics on the X-Line site will answer a lot of questions. Its adjustable in almost every way (so much so, you can go a little crazy playing with all the adjustments). The spring loaded plunger behind the lower part of the trigger can be moved in and out for a long smooth single stage roll, or set up like a two stage feeling trigger, which is how I have it set up. I have a sear cut on a True Radius jig, with a Wilson hammer that has long-ish hooks. The body of the trigger doesn't move, it is secured in the frame with a set screw through the trigger guard.

There is basically no take up, as you begin to pull the trigger, you start rolling the sear off the hammer hooks (movement is amplified by the hinged design). Just before the sear releases the hammer, the trigger hits the adjustable plunger. It has an internal spring that you can vary the weight of. Continued pressure will release the hammer with very little further movement. Initial pull of mine is 2 pounds for the first "stage", and 1.5 more for the second.

With a properly polished and mated sear and hammer, the pull is very consistent. Because of the leverage gained by the hinged trigger, the sear spring is set up for a trigger pull more like 4.5-5 lbs. Results in a pull just a hair over 3.5

I thought it was a pretty neat idea, and well executed, So I figured Id share it with you guys. Gives the old 1911 a "euro-gun" feel.  Ive only used the frame for a 22 match at this point, so the jury is still out, but so far so good.

Its not a cure for poor trigger control, its just something different to try. If you like the feel of a two stage trigger in your .22, you might just like it in your .45.
 What I like about it, is it gives you a chance to experiment with different types of trigger pulls with just a few adjustments! cool.  If anyone has any questions, Ill do my best to answer them. Here are a few pictures...

Installed a New hinged trigger design for the 1911 New-gun-2_zpsunxox5ma

Installed a New hinged trigger design for the 1911 New-gun-1_zpsmgkmglly

Installed a New hinged trigger design for the 1911 New-gun-3_zpsfrxjk4bm

markj

Back to top Go down

Installed a New hinged trigger design for the 1911 Empty Re: Installed a New hinged trigger design for the 1911

Post by BE Mike Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:09 pm

Beautiful gun and super accuracy. I love the 2 stage trigger on my Hammerli 208s Was the trigger a drop-in part?
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Installed a New hinged trigger design for the 1911 Empty Re: Installed a New hinged trigger design for the 1911

Post by markj Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:21 pm

Thanks Mike. I don't think I would go so far as to say it was "drop in" but it wasn't difficult. You have to drill and tap a small hole in the bottom side of the trigger guard to lock the body of the trigger in place. Other than that, you fit it like any other oversize 1911 trigger.

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by Sa-tevp Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:53 pm

That trigger needs a target style trigger, something wider and smoother like a S&W M41 or Steyr LP10 trigger. Otherwise it felt great when markj let us dry fire it as a 22 conversion. It felt like it would be harder to move a shot left or right during trigger pull.

Froneck, on deck.
Sa-tevp
Sa-tevp

Back to top Go down

Post by markj Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:27 pm

Agreed. My first thought was to mill off the aggressive serrations. They are a little extreme. But after shooting it, it doesn't seem that bad. I may still mill it down flat and make a shoe for it, going to give it a few matches and see how I do with it.
 It feels nice... its very different... but at this point, I have no idea if it is going to help or hurt my scores.  I think the primary benefit will be during slow fire, but we shall see. If I was a Master working on HM, I probably wouldn't mess around with something like this, but as Im working to consistently break 2400, figure what the heck, Ill give it a try.

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:31 pm

I can't remember if it was Guncrafter who originally made these triggers back in the 80's minus the adjustable plunger. They are also popular on PPC pistols.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by markj Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Thanks Jon, that's good to know. I googled as hard as I could but couldn't find anything similar. I know of several Bianchi Cup shooters using them, but It makes sense that the PPC guys would as well. Is there a useful place for something like this in Bullseye? I have no idea.

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Wed Jul 08, 2015 8:23 am

Definitely looks promising keep us posted. Nice work BTW. Looks great for a 22 but kinda defeats the point of a 1911 22lr.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Bubba Blaster Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:30 pm

Be-aware-this-is-$143.25-delivered!
Not-in-my-lifetime!

BTW-Very-Nice-Gun-!!!

Bubba Blaster

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:38 pm

Hmmm. Where would you hang the scales? With leverage like that would create it should probably be measured at the very tip. Anywhere else would give a higher reading but you would have no more weight then the lowest part touching your finger. I wonder what the rules would say?

Last edited by OldMaster65 on Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added additional for clarity of the question)
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:41 pm

Bubba Blaster wrote:Be-aware-this-is-$143.25-delivered!
Not-in-my-lifetime!

BTW-Very-Nice-Gun-!!!

The price is not bad at all for all the engineering that went into this design, Ive seen it and its impressive and being there is nothing out there even close to it id even say its a bargain.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:36 pm

I believe rules state center of trigger.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by markj Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:38 pm

Oldmaster65, the question of where to hang the weight is a good one, and one Ive been pondering myself. Currently, Im operating under the assumption it would be treated like any other hinged trigger, and the weight would be placed in the middle of the trigger, getting an average.

Bubba, I know when you are used to spending $25 for a basic 1911 trigger, the price seems high, however, I agree with  DavidR, there is a good bit of design, engineering and low-volume production cost that goes into something like this. While the price is a little high, I don't think its THAT out of line for everything you get.

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:53 pm

NRA Pistol Book 9.8 Weighing Triggers:

...While trigger pull is being weighed, the pistol shall be held with the barrel perpendicular to the horizontal surface on which test weight is supported.  The rod or hook of test weight shall rest on lowest point of the curve in curved triggers, or on a point approximately one quarter of an inch from lower end of straight triggers...

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:02 pm

I don't think the writers of the rules ever thought about a trigger like this. On a curved trigger you put the weight in the center of the curve. On a straight trigger you place it 1/4" from the end. Where do you place it on a straight trigger that has hooks (for lack of a better word) on both ends? Did I mention that I like that trigger an I am asking these questions so I can adjust mine when I get one?

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by markj Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:06 pm

Thanks Wile E. That's only about 1/8- 3/16" below where I measured it from. This trigger muddies the water a little because its not truly "flat" with the flare at the top and bottom. For now, Ill play it on the safe side and treat it like its flat. There is enough metal that it could be re contoured into a curved trigger, but Im going to hold off on that for now.

Len beat me to it while I was typing.

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:50 pm

The lowest point of the curved trigger changes as it moves through it's arc. The NRA weight set has a wheel that allows the hook to automatically find the lowest point and moves as the lowest point changes. It usually isn't much unless you have an extremely long first stage on a two stage trigger. If you pull a trigger correctly (ie. straight back) your finger will be in the same place as described in the test spec. and you will be pulling with the same weight as measured.

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:31 pm

I had the trigger on my revolver weighted Tuesday at Camp Perry and the official made a point of saying he always places the weight at the center of the trigger.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:29 pm

who sells them state side?
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:30 pm

rich.tullo wrote:who sells them state side?

no one, order direct from Germany
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:41 pm

I don't think $143 is out of line if it works great. Sure a good trigger will cost 20 to 40 but this is like a Larry's drop in trigger for a 1911 I actually don't see how they will make money off of it to pay for the machining and design. 

Is the width the regular width or is it wide like a gold cup?

Last edited by rich.tullo on Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by markj Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:44 pm

Fwiw, even coming from Germany, shipping was less than $10, and it got here in about 7 business days.

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by markj Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:46 pm

It is the same width as a regular trigger. It's a little oversized so it can be fit tightly.

markj

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:28 am

THX
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by 71firebird400 Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:58 am

How "tactile" is the trigger reset on it? Do you feel this is something that would work well for fast shooting (USPSA, Speed Steel)? It definitely has my interest.

71firebird400

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next