Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is your favorite brass catcher?

+15
jmdavis
dronning
JayhawkNavy02
LenV
Rob Kovach
Wobbley
Jack H
james r chapman
Bigtrout
jglenn21
ric1911a1
STEVE SAMELAK
CR10X
DavidR
Ghillieman
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What is your favorite brass catcher? Empty What is your favorite brass catcher?

Post by Ghillieman 7/25/2015, 9:40 am

I lost a lot of brass in the mud pits at Camp Perry and now I am looking at buying a brass catcher. So my questions are:

1. What brass catcher do you like?

2. Why do you use that one over the other brass catchers on the market?

Thank you all.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite brass catcher? Empty Re: What is your favorite brass catcher?

Post by DavidR 7/25/2015, 10:11 am

there is the best..... CMM machine and then there are the rest
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

What is your favorite brass catcher? Empty Re: What is your favorite brass catcher?

Post by CR10X 7/25/2015, 10:26 am

The ground. It doesn't fall over, its always ready, never misses the brass, doesn't distract from the shot process, doesn't have to be transported, can hold entire match worth of brass, doesn't need to emptied until after the match and it's free.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 7/25/2015, 10:33 am

The CMM seems a bit pricey, but I feel that you get more than you pay for.
 The only changes I made were mounting brackets for transport and a new base plate that fits in the LAST empty spot in my box.
The ground keeps getting farther away, and I hate all the crap that crawls into the brass when I'm not looking.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by ric1911a1 7/25/2015, 10:58 am

Another vote for CMM.
ric1911a1
ric1911a1

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 7/25/2015, 11:45 am

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:The CMM seems a bit pricey, but I feel that you get more than you pay for.
 The only changes I made were mounting brackets for transport and a new base plate that fits in the LAST empty spot in my box.
The ground keeps getting farther away, and I hate all the crap that crawls into the brass when I'm not looking.

CMM also offers different mounting bases, and a gun box holder that bolts to the gunbox and holds the catcher and the base. As to the ground not effecting the shot process , that doesn't count for your shooting neighbor your brass hits Wink
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 7/25/2015, 1:33 pm

made mine out of a rubber fishing net.    piece of angle iron  with a square tube welded to it to hold the shaft..  couple of C clamps .

Less than $30.

just being my cheap self
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 7/25/2015, 2:10 pm

I use a cardboard box attached to a long pole driven in the ground...of course all I do is bullseye and no action.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/25/2015, 4:24 pm

I hired the lil' Hispanic kid with all the tattoo's, but, he got lost in the mud too!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 7/25/2015, 5:38 pm

CR10X wrote:The ground.  It doesn't fall over, its always ready, never misses the brass, doesn't distract from the shot process, doesn't have to be transported, can hold entire match worth of brass, doesn't need to emptied until after the match and it's free.  

The ground does not come with a bender-over accessory.  It must be an optional upcharge.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 7/25/2015, 6:06 pm

james r chapman wrote:I hired the lil' Hispanic kid with all the tattoo's, but, he got lost in the mud too!
lol!
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 7/25/2015, 8:05 pm

I have the CMM and it's a great brass catcher, but at Canton, it was throwing a shadow on the gun that was distracting me.  I didn't use it then at Perry with no regrets.  I doubt that I will ever use it in a match again.

I'm going to join the Cecil club of using the ground to catch my brass.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 7/25/2015, 8:13 pm

Sounds like Rob has one for sale Dan. Smile
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 7/25/2015, 8:17 pm

no...not for sale.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 7/26/2015, 1:15 am

Love the CMM.   Rarely lose brass and got the extension since I'm teller than average at no charge.  I do not to get the gun box bracket so it's not awkward to carry around.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 7/26/2015, 8:35 am

To clarify, the original posted question was "best" brass catcher and from the comments, seem to be in conjunction with shooting a match.  Secondly, for me its impossible to lose a lot of brass at perry, since its only about 200 rounds. My definition of a lot is generally 5 gallon bucket increments. 

So, for me the ground is good at matches as it is just one less distraction for me.    

Now, for training where any time not training is wasted a brass catcher can be useful since it saves time.  

The CMM seems to be the best overall from a brass catcher standpoint and I sometimes use one when training if I'm going to shoot a lot.  Like for some short line exercises, etc.  

From a match director/range officer standpoint, the CMM version does not create too much of a vision barrier or wind buffer on the line. I've had people show up with everything from furnace filters to cardboard boxes for brass screens and catchers.  Please make sure whatever innovative and perfect solution you may come up with meets the 1/4 inch mesh requirements as used for brass screens.  

Thank you.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 7/27/2015, 9:33 am

Just for the record I hate brass catchers! But I don't like chasing brass either, a gofer pick up tool has helped a lot as my knee always makes these crunching sounds when I bend over to pick some up without it. I have thought about just buying some crap brass and letting it fly and giving the brass hounds a free treat, but I still use good stuff and catch most of it in my CMM for now. if you don't use one then please be courteous enough to not be doing the hen peck picking them up from around other shooters still trying to shoot, this is annoying as hell Smile

Last edited by DavidR on 7/27/2015, 9:51 am; edited 1 time in total
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 7/27/2015, 9:49 am

DavidR wrote:if you don't use one then please be courteous enough to not be doing the hen peck picking them up from around other shooters still trying to shoot, this is annoying as hell Smile

+++1 agreed! I've actually had someone reach between my bench and the shooter to my right. I put my gun down and politely asked him if he could wait until we were done shooting and he got miffed because he didn't want anyone stepping on his brass!!! The RO took it from there and told him to stay behind the shooters but he did it again and was ask to leave after the CF match.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 7/27/2015, 10:44 am

folks priorities are strange sometimes.. he's worried about brass getting bent and has how much in his BE pistols.......oh well
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 7/27/2015, 11:13 am

As much of a brass rat I am: Iwould be tempted to engage in some socially inappropriate behavior if you're reaching around my feet.

Did that come out of me???  flower
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 7/27/2015, 11:43 am

Brass retention is to some more important than the match, ive seen guys get almost overwhelmed if they cant find a piece of their brass so they can put back in the ammo box in order.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 7/27/2015, 11:47 am

DavidR wrote:Brass retention is to some more important than the match, ive seen guys get almost overwhelmed if they cant find a piece of their brass so they can put back in the ammo box in order.

OCD at work.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane 7/28/2015, 7:05 am

jmdavis wrote:
DavidR wrote:Brass retention is to some more important than the match, ive seen guys get almost overwhelmed if they cant find a piece of their brass so they can put back in the ammo box in order.

OCD at work.

Might very well be true but I despise the bastard next to me that shoots a NM course and picks up 90 pieces of brass when he only shot 30 rounds and puts them in his empty brass bag. I'm not Santa Claus nor the brass fairy, my brass is marked and when someone knowingly picks it up with disregard to who it belongs to is just plain rude. It's because of people like this that think anything that hits the floor is theirs that I bought a CMM brass catcher. Doesn't catch every round but enough so that I have something to take home and reload.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 7/28/2015, 7:19 am

Especially when he's shootin' NINES!!!
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane 7/28/2015, 7:31 am

james r chapman wrote:Especially when he's shootin' NINES!!!

Yeah but he'll tell you that someday he's going to buy a 45 and wants to be prepared when that day arrives.  lol!

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next