Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My first attempt at loading for my 45

+3
kwixdraw
james r chapman
lablover
7 posters

Go down

My first attempt at loading for my 45 Empty My first attempt at loading for my 45

Post by lablover Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:42 pm

So I loaded about 50 -200 gr swc as well as about 50- 185 gr Zero LSWCHP and pretty sure I screwed up.  I am using Dillon dies and just seated so I got a OAL that showed about 1/16" of the shoulder.  

So, after some more reading here tonight I found an thread about seating from the shoulder

https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t3281-seating-bullets-on-the-shoulder

After reading this I'm wondering if I loaded those 100 rounds correctly?  I could pull them if needed but I dropped each one in the barrel and they all plunked in just fine.

Honestly, I loaded these with titegroup and after more reading not sure I even want to use titegroup with lead...I found 5 lbs of bullseye so I will be using that with the lead...Sorry, I digress.  I'm trying to find the seater plugs for the dillon on Ebay but not having any luck/....Steve Bathe I think...Cant find a thing.

Gents, should I start over

Joe
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

My first attempt at loading for my 45 Empty Re: My first attempt at loading for my 45

Post by james r chapman Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:11 pm

as long as they chamber ok, and are  at or a little below the barrel hood, you should  be fine.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

My first attempt at loading for my 45 Empty Re: My first attempt at loading for my 45

Post by kwixdraw Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:17 pm

Try them in your magazines. They may be too long to fit down into the mag tubes. If they are you can try to seat them slightly deeper IF they are not crimped too tight. If it raises a ridge of lead at the front of the case you will have to pull the bullets and redo the bell to rework them.
kwixdraw
kwixdraw

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:25 pm

kwixdraw wrote:Try them in your magazines. They may be too long to fit down into the mag tubes. If they are you can try to seat them slightly deeper IF they are not crimped too tight. If it raises a ridge of lead at the front of the case you will have to pull the bullets and redo the bell to rework them.
They fit in the mag fine and they all chamber by just dropping them into the barrel.  I won't pull these but I will seat all new ones different.  Need to read up more on seating on the shoulder
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:43 pm

I load all of my .45 with about 1/16" sticking out. They seem to feed better for me so that's what I go with. Bullet on the right is a .45. Had this pic on file.

My first attempt at loading for my 45 Dscf0310
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:52 pm

I have used Titegroup with lead for two years now.  No issues, no leading, but I use real light loads.

Chip

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:54 pm

So far it sounds like you are doing just fine.

You don't need a Steve Bathje seating die to make good ammo.

What powder charge did you use?
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SSgtG Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:35 am

While it's always good to read and double check yourself when reloading, I think these loads will be fine. Good .45 ammo isn't rocket science. Everyone has a favorite load, sometimes even based on facts. With a good bullet nearly any powder will shoot well. You need to find which load your gun likes. Really the only time it matters is at 50 yards. Almost any load will shoot Xs at 25. The 1/16" is fine. I use misc. Cases and with the different case lengths the lead showing can be all over the place. 
it's just not that critical as long as they will function in your gun. I've never heard if any issues with Titegroup and lead. I've got about 1600 sitting, waiting their turn to be shot now. I've used Bullseye, Clays, RedDot, Claydot, Titegroup, 700x, WST, probably a couple others I'm not remembering and they will all shoot lead and group tight. What's between my ears usually is the limiting factor.

SSgtG

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:37 am

Excellent info.  I used 4.2 gr of titegroup for the 185's  Well the good thing is I now have bullseye just in case   Smile  

And yes, the nut behind the trigger is the limiting factor in my world...HA HA
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:46 am

go shoot em!
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:00 am

A 200 hg68 style lswc, good set up that always works, 3.9 bullseye, seat to .032 above case rim or OAL of 1.250 crimp to .469,  on the 185 lswc-hp 4.0 bullseye, seat the same, oal of 1.215 and same crimp. these loads will drill the 10 ring @ 50 yards with any good accurate 45.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:20 am

DavidR wrote:A 200 hg68 style lswc, good set up that always works, 3.9 bullseye, seat to .032 above case rim or OAL of 1.250 crimp to .469,  on the 185 lswc-hp 4.0 bullseye, seat the same, oal of 1.215 and same crimp. these loads will drill the 10 ring @ 50 yards with any good accurate 45.
Gonna try that today..Or at least load some up...I'm on the hunt for a new ruger 22/45   Twisted Evil
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down