Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1911 Conversion Advice

+15
Wobbley
Sa-tevp
Dr.Don
KenO
robert84010
rich.tullo
Astroimage2002
LenV
Axehandle
Magnusbullets
DavidR
JayhawkNavy02
james r chapman
dronning
Keyholed
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

1911 Conversion Advice - Page 2 Empty 1911 Conversion Advice

Post by Keyholed Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:34 am

First topic message reminder :

'Evening, gents. Long-time reader/lurker, first-time poster. Sorry if this runs on a little long.

For background, I shoot rimfire indoor BE (50 ft) exclusively, mostly NGCs, three seasons a year. I average ~275 in a ten-match season (increasing a couple points a year), breaking 280 on a really good day. Starting to plateau a bit.

I'm thinking of (finally) upgrading from my Ruger MkIII (6 7/8" fluted barrel). While it's accurate and reliable (my last alibi was when my firing pin wore out, ~3600 rounds ago), I've noticed a couple problems. The trigger is a little inconsistent (whether dry firing without a target, or shooting slow or sustained fire, or using iron sights), despite an aftermarket hammer bushing. On a gauge, it runs between 3 lbs 9 oz and 3-15. I'm also finding it pretty muzzle-heavy lately, which makes it feel heavier than it is, and I think that contributes to how I perceive the trigger. It makes it hard to maintain an uninterrupted, "authoritative" trigger pull (my slow fire mantra). I know what I'm looking for, and I know without scoping when I find it, but then I lose it and can't pick it back up again.

I checked out off-the-shelf options, but I'm thinking that a 1911 .22 conversion might be the way to go. I much prefer the balance, grip angle, and straight-pull trigger over the Ruger. They're also very rare locally, which I have to admit I like.

I have a Springfield Loaded, Brazilian frame, a few years old, that shoots very nicely. The trigger is pretty good, slightly lighter than the Ruger's and much more consistent. It feels a lot lighter than it actually is. I acquired it used, so I've no idea what, if anything, has been done to it. I'm thinking of picking up a Nelson conversion for it. I'd still like to swap it back to .45 for summer shooting, but this would be very occasional. Long-term, I'd consider either sending it out for a proper bullseye trigger job (maybe a roll trigger, if I could ever find one to try), scouting around for a used BE lower, or even having a dedicated lower built for it if I save up my sheckles.

I'm expecting at least close to the same trigger feel as the 1911 currently has, and accuracy on par with my Ruger.

(1) Is my plan dumb? Am I doing this for the right reasons? Are my expectations in check?
(2) I don't have the tools or knowledge to do any fitting work. I know the installation itself is simple, but can I reasonably expect a decent outcome without any fitting/polishing/etc?
(3) Will swapping back and forth between .22 and .45 ACP (only occasionally--shoot .22 fall through spring, swap to .45 in the summer, repeat) cause any wear problems with the trigger? It's my only .45 auto at the moment, although I wouldn't object to dedicating it to bullseye.

Keyholed

Back to top Go down

1911 Conversion Advice - Page 2 Empty Re: 1911 Conversion Advice

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:42 am

I had some infrequent failures to lock back.  Went to a lighter spring that was included with the kit and problem solved.  No sweat.
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by KenO Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:45 pm

I ordered a Nelson last week, this thread made my decision. I would like to find a lower, or buy a frame and parts kit, to have it a dedicated .22rf.

KenO

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:02 pm

KenO wrote:I ordered a Nelson last week, this thread made my decision. I would like to find a lower, or buy a frame and parts kit, to have it a dedicated .22rf.

Buddy got a great deal on a barely used Ruger SR1911 for his dedicated lower. It had a pretty good trigger right out of the box.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:39 pm

Why not this one? Trigger job and go shooting.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_1171/products_id/411552921/TISAS+Classic+1911-A1+45ACP+5%22+GI+BLACK
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Keyholed Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:53 pm

KevinB wrote:I'm waiting on my Nelson too, hope it comes next week.  Enjoy.

I ordered mine the first week of August, and it shipped last week, just a couple days after Larry updated the store page to say that they'd come back. I was order 204, for reference.

I can't wait for the fall and winter leagues to start. It's gonna be a blast.

JayhawkNavy02 wrote:I had some infrequent failures to lock back.  Went to a lighter spring that was included with the kit and problem solved.  No sweat.

Thanks, but just as I was sitting here, I think I fixed it. I remembered that the recoil spring guide pulls against the two-piece slide stop pin. So I hopped down to the basement and loosened the recoil spring guide by about 1/8th of a turn. Abracadabra, every magazine seems to lock open with no trouble. I'd definitely overtightened it the first time around, it was almost a half turn past stop.

I'll have to remember to mark the recoil spring guide to make sure it's not working loose.

KenO wrote:I ordered a Nelson last week, this thread made my decision. I would like to find a lower, or buy a frame and parts kit, to have it a dedicated .22rf.

I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm quite happy with just my Springfield's lower, 4-pound trigger and all, but I think I'm going to keep an eye out for a beater 1911. I'd really like to learn to do a little at-home trigger work, but I don't want to commit acts of Home Gunsmithing against a perfectly good pistol.

Keyholed

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:12 am

the PSA frames really are very nice... $140 for either a SS or carbon steel... All forged frame. also already cut for a 250 radius grip safety..

going that way allows you to get the quality and type of internal parts you wish...
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by bobthenailer Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:46 am

First I bought my kimber 22 conversion from a friend for $175.00 and installed on a SA loaded 45 acp lower , installed a 19 lb main spring , after several hundred of rounds for break in, it runs flawless now for about 4 years now, with about 5k rounds through it, about 3 years ago installed a Burris ff3 red dot sight, the gun is accurate, but never shot it at the BE match , well at the last match for the indoor winter league I shot a 288 , tweeked the sights a bit the shot back to back 291's , I thought I could shoot somewhere in the 280 but did better than that! my avg for the winter pistol league using my HS was 295.95

bobthenailer

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinB Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:09 pm

Keyholed wrote:
KevinB wrote:I'm waiting on my Nelson too, hope it comes next week.  Enjoy.

I ordered mine the first week of August, and it shipped last week, just a couple days after Larry updated the store page to say that they'd come back. I was order 204, for reference.

I'm #214 so I am sure it will be soon.

KevinB

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2