Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have to ask...Large vs small Primers

+8
DavidR
guncheese
JayhawkNavy02
rich.tullo
LenV
james r chapman
Wobbley
lablover
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

I have to ask...Large vs small Primers Empty I have to ask...Large vs small Primers

Post by lablover Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:10 pm

I really enjoy loading Small Primer 45 acp brass.  Reason is I don't have to change out my Dillon 650 priming system.  Is there any benefit to loading large primers vs small?  Accuracy?  Reliability?

I'm all ears Gents

Joe
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

I have to ask...Large vs small Primers Empty Re: I have to ask...Large vs small Primers

Post by Wobbley Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:15 pm

Not really.  But the vast majority has large primers.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

I have to ask...Large vs small Primers Empty Re: I have to ask...Large vs small Primers

Post by james r chapman Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:19 pm

What did JB design it for? hmmm?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:32 pm

The original military brass was loaded with .204 diameter primers.  So the correct answer is neither.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:39 pm

WHAT!,

geez....
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:47 pm

.204 primers to get all the black powder exploding.
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:02 pm

Blazer brass is great. If I had more I would load only small primers.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:33 pm

The small primer pockets work good for hotter loads. The extra brass around the primer gives additional support to the primer pocket and allows you to really soup them up without deforming. Corbon has switched to all small pockets for their hot loads. I also like Blazer brass because it is strong enough to be reformed into .400 Corbon. That however is the only reason I use the small primers. Because of our reduced loads and the relatively  large empty spaces inside the .45 case I think the large primer is by far the best way to go for Bullseye. That is just one persons opinion. 

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:10 pm

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/small-vs-large-pistol-primers-45-acp/

http://www.shootingwire.com/features/227654

http://www.starlinebrass.com/articles/Small-Primer-vs-Large-Primer/
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by guncheese Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:01 am

im glad this topic came back up again

today i took some fresh off the press .45 loads
3.4gr bullseye
small primer brass (federal,speer,blazer,cci all of that is made by ATK)
Sellier&Bellot SPP  (we've run over 10,000 of these in 40,9mm,38,357 and never had a single issue
200gr Lee SWC

these rounds were weird
at first i though i had really messed up
as i was having what i thought were squibs
but the recoils were all over the map
and when i looked down the barrel to check for stuck bullets i saw lots of chunks
didnt put it all together at the time

im betting that this light charge of BE was laying in the bottom curve of the case
and there just wasnt enough primer pop to reliably ignite

ive run 2.7 or 2.8 grains of BE in 45 before and never had a ignition issue
i wonder if i had been running a fluffy powder like 700x or Red Dot if they would have run

sounds like its experiment time!!!

I have to ask...Large vs small Primers 2dkfWw

guncheese

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:49 am

IMO if shooting bullseye and wanting to excel at the sport then the best thing to do with 45 small primer brass is toss it!
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:00 pm

DavidR wrote:IMO if shooting bullseye and wanting to excel at the sport then the best thing to do with 45 small primer brass is toss it!

To those who want to excel with Small Primer .45 brass, go for it.  DavidR has always put brass characteristics as one of the variables that he holds in high regard.

To me, you can make consistent ammo with any brass--and even with mixed brass, there isn't a significant difference in point of impact from shot to shot.  Differences might show up on the long line, but for most of us it will not.

Brass isn't worth worrying about until you are never shooting any shots in the white.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:11 pm

Rob thinks the details don't matter, I think they do....  Wink
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:36 pm

DavidR wrote:Rob thinks the details don't matter, I think they do....  Wink

I think that Rob may be concerned with getting the basics of shooting in place first, then fine tune details.
You can hand me a premium firearm with the best ammo and it won't make a difference in my score until I make the proper effort.

Or I may be wrong again
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by guncheese Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:05 pm

ohhh geee
this went down a trail i hadn't expected

guncheese

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:14 pm

guncheese wrote:ohhh geee
this went down a trail i hadn't expected

It happens, we all have our opinions about what works best. Some forget the name of this game is  "Precision" not what can we get to go bang. If small primer cases worked better then we would all be scampering to get them which is not the case. pun intended lol!
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:29 pm

If you have small primer brass hang on to it, you never know when large pistol primers may become scarce.

My buddy had a bunch he was saving and used them when he became way long on small primers because he stopped shooting revolvers. The loads had to be modified but in the end no huge difference in his machine rest groupings.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:33 pm

Like I mentioned, I like them because it makes it easy to not have to change over the priming system of the Dillon 650.  If they suck then I'll suck it up and change over.  I only have 1000 of them and am now in the process of getting my brass stores up..Guess I'll be buying large  Smile  No worries at all on my end.

I will say the loss I tested are pretty accurate....Then again, being a newbie I may "Think" they are accurate.  You guys scare me...LOL....No really...  lol!
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by guncheese Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:01 pm

well.....  the whole point of my asking the question was
about how they reacted to the light charge
and had anyone seen this
i didnt ask "should I?"  scratch
if i was competing i wouldnt be using them
but i shoot alot  so using them isnt a far fetched idea

so i still dont know if anyone has seen my results with light charges
or could theorize why they acted this way   confused

guncheese

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:03 pm

guncheese wrote:well.....  the whole point of my asking the question was
and had anyone seen this

Yea, I'm interested in seeing results too...Very Weird
lablover
lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:44 pm

guncheese wrote:well.....  the whole point of my asking the question was
and had anyone seen this

My opinions were based on the questions asked by the original poster. My response's were for his question.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:20 pm

Looks like I'll have to set up the machine rest and a batch of light SPP bullseye loads and get scientific results to settle this just like I did with the mixed head stamp and flash hole discussion from a couple years ago.

I predict there will be ZERO difference in accuracy between SPP and Large Pistol Primers.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:35 pm

It doesn't really matter if the primers are large or small.  I might use magnum primers if I was getting bad ignition rather than change powders first.  But the key to consistent ammo is to segregate differences.  That would not necessarily mean segregating military cases by maker and year, but by maker?  Sure.  The reason I don't pick up SPP brass is that I don't have enough to justify the separate setups so it would be a distraction.  

To me you need about 500 cases in a "batch".  This way a box of cast bullets makes up one batch of ammo.  You can have multiple batches.  Even a mixed up mess so long as it is for short line or practice.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by guncheese Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:34 pm

i have about 300 small primer brass
and i run them thru in one bunch (i think this is their 4th go round)
but ive not used BE in them
just fluffier powders
i guess im just going to pull a bunch of them and see whats in them (i wont be happy if i find missing powder, but the mystery will be solved)
if i pull 30 and they were all fine
then i have to blame something else
and the only something else i have to blame is the SPP

guncheese

Back to top Go down

Post by JayhawkNavy02 Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:40 am

Rob Kovach wrote:Looks like I'll have to set up the machine rest and a batch of light SPP bullseye loads and get scientific results to settle this just like I did with the mixed head stamp and flash hole discussion from a couple years ago.

I predict there will be ZERO difference in accuracy between SPP and Large Pistol Primers.

There will be one difference....price.

Unfortunately for many of us, myself included, switching over would be expensive and without a machine rest to confirm that I gain a measurable difference with my loads I wouldn't convert.  Interesting articles above point to SPP of being possibly advantageous In certain context.

Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
JayhawkNavy02
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next