Back to top Go down

Re: Awesome 1911 cutaway slow motion

Post by knightimac on 10/17/2015, 11:55 am

Excellent.  Thank you.
knightimac

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer on 10/17/2015, 12:34 pm

This video brings something to light...Chuck Warner and I have been experimenting with using only one upper lug.. Chuck's idea..A great innovator.. We used to do this with 38 spl. 1911s.. Chuck renewed that idea in me for a wadcutter gun.. There has been some heated debate about this experiment.. The gun in the video, has very little remaining lug surface, all while shooting hardball. Since the gun was sacrificial, I doubt seriously that all three lugs were in contact, as I have never seen a factory gun that had all three uppers in contact. Chuck and I have both been shooting our guns with only one lug.. His and mine are running great.. My interest is extending, horizontally, the upper lug surface contact to further stabilize the barrel and gain some additional accuracy...
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on 10/17/2015, 1:02 pm

In the last 25 years of building match 1911's, I've only had about 4 pistols that the 2nd barrel lug made any contact with the slide. I'm in total agreement that one lug will work. Will it help accuracy? I don't think so based on 99 percent of the pistols I've built only really using one locking lug. Woeth a shot though :p)
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer on 10/17/2015, 2:03 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:In the last 25 years of building match 1911's, I've only had about 4 pistols that the 2nd barrel lug made any contact with the slide. I'm in total agreement that one lug will work. Will it help accuracy? I don't think so based on 99 percent of the pistols I've built only really using one locking lug. Woeth a shot though :p)
Jon
Jon
I map out the barrels and slides and machine to achieve full horizontal lug contact.. I think it stabilizes the barrel better than one lug..Now, I am thinking that taking away the unnecessary front lugs and using that area for more contact might afford even more support and enhance accuracy.. Of course the slide will need altered also.. Either way, I enjoy the experimentation..Smile
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on 10/17/2015, 4:06 pm

Looking forward to seeing the final product Jerry. 
R&D!

Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Skid on 10/17/2015, 6:32 pm

Wow that's really cool. Again thanks for sharing.

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer on 10/17/2015, 7:18 pm

A cut away is very useful.. Made one years ago. I used it for teaching purposes at MCC  and it also enabled me to figure out how to bury a long link.. I like long footprints on my lower lug contact..But, this requires a longer link.  There has to be a place for the extra length to go when  cycling into and locking up in battery. I do not egg  out my link holes.. Study of the contact points at different locations of the link during a full cycle showed I could bury the link into a pocket strategically ground into the slide stop pin.. Works great..
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on 10/17/2015, 8:08 pm

+1,000,000
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan on 10/17/2015, 9:43 pm

Jerry Keefer wrote:A cut away is very useful.. Made one years ago. I used it for teaching purposes at MCC  and it also enabled me to figure out how to bury a long link.. I like long footprints on my lower lug contact..But, this requires a longer link.  There has to be a place for the extra length to go when  cycling into and locking up in battery. I do not egg  out my link holes.. Study of the contact points at different locations of the link during a full cycle showed I could bury the link into a pocket strategically  ground into the slide stop pin.. Works great..
Three cheers for thread drift! I hope no one minds. I don't.

Anyway, Why is "egging out" a long link a bad thing? I've never understood the negative treatment of that I've seen over the years. Seems like the link's work is pulling the barrel down in unlocking, and an oblong hole in it to keep the barrel "feet" doing the lockup on closing should be almost irrelevant.

Just curious.

Thanks!

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on 10/17/2015, 10:56 pm

I personally don't have a problem with minorly egging out a link. Unfortunately many so called gunsmiths butcher it. Majority of pistols I see have improperly fit link. Proper link length in the 1st place helps. 
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer on 10/18/2015, 12:37 pm

Anyway, Why is "egging out" a long link a bad thing?

Have you ever heard an engine running with a bad connecting rod..?? Same thing..The slop and energy created by the poor fit is transferred somewhere..Many issues with lower lug bump is the result of egged out links. The link does pull the barrel out of battery, but in a properly fit link, it also should partially assist lifting the lower lugs over the slide stop pin to avoid the dreaded bump...
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum