Should I level my Progressive Reloader

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by JayhawkNavy02 on Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:46 pm

Finally got my 650 installed and it is not perfectly level on my work bench.  Should I buy some washers and chin the 650 for 9mm or 5.56 or is this beyond OCD.  Just trying to make sure it's down right the first time.

Derek


Last edited by JayhawkNavy02 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

JayhawkNavy02

Posts : 493
Join date : 2014-03-01
Location : San Diego

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by weber1b on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:00 pm

I don't know that it would have a negative effect....but I would level it.

weber1b

Posts : 123
Join date : 2015-10-03
Location : Naperville, IL

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by expendable on Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:40 pm

I don't know how out of level your press is, but I would think it would have to be awful bad to cause a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it unless you need to tilt your head to the side to use it.

Kurt

expendable

Posts : 31
Join date : 2011-10-01

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by DavidR on Sat Nov 07, 2015 11:31 am

only if it bugs you,

DavidR
Admin

Posts : 2856
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 62
Location : NRA:Expert, Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by james r chapman on Sat Nov 07, 2015 3:57 pm

if the primer doesn't fall out, the case slide out, or the powder miss the case, don't worry about it...

If you've got one of those old Knott's Berry Farm houses where water flows uphill, yeah, worry about it...

james r chapman

Posts : 1596
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 67
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by JayhawkNavy02 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:37 pm

Nope, none of the above.  Sounds like I'm set.

JayhawkNavy02

Posts : 493
Join date : 2014-03-01
Location : San Diego

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by dronning on Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:38 pm

What are we talking about here?

1/8" in 1 foot - no need to level
1/4" in 1 foot - maybe a couple of washers under the mounting plate
> 1/4" in a foot - you need a new bench or at least shim or cut the legs to level it.

- Dave

dronning

Posts : 1122
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 63
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by JayhawkNavy02 on Sat Nov 07, 2015 4:39 pm

About a 1/4" over the distance of the base

JayhawkNavy02

Posts : 493
Join date : 2014-03-01
Location : San Diego

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by BE Mike on Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:23 pm

I don't think I would worry about that, but you might want to secure your bench to the wall and/or floor. The 650 seems to like a rock solid bench.

BE Mike

Posts : 1145
Join date : 2011-07-29
Location : Indiana

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by Jack H on Sat Nov 07, 2015 9:58 pm

Quarter inch?  I always thot Dillon was on the level Ha ha.  Is the base of the 650 not machined flat?  Would it not fit their Strong Mount square?

(I do recommend the Dillon mount.  Or better, this: http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/dillon/products/ultramount-press-riser-system-for-the-dillon-650

The Inline people live very near me.  Wonderful folks.  Great products.  (And the usual disclaimer: I have no skin in their game)

Jack H

Posts : 971
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 67
Location : Duckburg, Orygun

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by noylj on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:18 am

OCD is a terrible disease and should be treated.
Does the instruction manual emphasize the need to level the press?
I have certainly never seen or heard of a reason to do so.
The important thing is that there is little to no flex in the bench and the press is rigidly mounted.

noylj

Posts : 225
Join date : 2012-03-09
Age : 67
Location : SW USA

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by JayhawkNavy02 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:07 am

noylj wrote:OCD is a terrible disease and should be treated.
Does the instruction manual emphasize the need to level the press?
I have certainly never seen or heard of a reason to do so.
The important thing is that there is little to no flex in the bench and the press is rigidly mounted.

Nope, nothing in the manual, but I didn't think the manual was perfect either.  It was pretty terrific for setup, no doubt.

Jack H wrote:Quarter inch?  I always thot Dillon was on the level Ha ha.  Is the base of the 650 not machined flat?  Would it not fit their Strong Mount square?

(I do recommend the Dillon mount.  Or better, this: http://inlinefabrication.com/collections/dillon/products/ultramount-press-riser-system-for-the-dillon-650

The Inline people live very near me.  Wonderful folks.  Great products.  (And the usual disclaimer: I have no skin in their game)


Everything seems machined perfect, my workbench isn't.  I used the Dillon strong mount, I wish I had seen that mount, I would have bought it.  Looks like a great product.


BE Mike wrote:I don't think I would worry about that, but you might want to secure your bench to the wall and/or floor. The 650 seems to like a rock solid bench.

I've secured the bench to the wall, and I'm 100% onboard with a solid bench, after seeing how much movement there is.  I need to reinforce under the bench where the boards are flexing.  The biggest issue I have is the shell plate is indexing/kicking pretty hard and spilling powder.  From using google it looks like I might need to trim the detent ball spring, tighten the shell plate, adjust the index block or all three.

JayhawkNavy02

Posts : 493
Join date : 2014-03-01
Location : San Diego

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by dronning on Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:55 am

JayhawkNavy02 wrote:  The biggest issue I have is the shell plate is indexing/kicking pretty hard and spilling powder.  From using google it looks like I might need to trim the detent ball spring, tighten the shell plate, adjust the index block or all three.


Check out the link over at Brian Enos forum.  I've installed the bearing fix on both my 550B and 1050 and it does make a big difference and instead of cutting the detent ball spring some have changed to a stainless 9mm ball bearing (.354) verses the .375 one that's in there.


Fix for the snapping shellplate on a 650 
http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=86570


- Dave

dronning

Posts : 1122
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 63
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by rich.tullo on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:12 pm

Do you have to tilt your bullets to make em straight if the table is not level? 





(Satire)

rich.tullo

Posts : 588
Join date : 2015-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Should I level my Progressive Reloader

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:18 pm


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum