Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Progressive press comparisons

+14
Jerry Keefer
GrumpyOldMan
BE Mike
Ghillieman
rich.tullo
beeser
Magnusbullets
dronning
Rob Kovach
KevinB
JIMPGOV
Dave Shooter
Wobbley
robert84010
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Progressive press comparisons Empty Progressive press comparisons

Post by robert84010 Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:00 pm

I don't know if i'm just getting older and lazier, I've never really had a problem loading with my 550 but lately i've been looking at auto indexing with shell feeding presses. Can anybody give a comparison of presses with these features. some even have bullet feeding capabilities, can anybody comment on KISS or MA system units? I'm really looking for info on reliability and if the premium price of a STAR is worth it?
 I used a friends 650 once and it had constant shell feeding problems, it could have been his setup though? It was slower than my 550 overall because I was constantly fixing the little hangups.

I would probably buy a complete Dillon RL1000 in .45acp based on what i've read but I can't find one. If anybody is looking get rid of theirs I would be interested.
Thanks.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Progressive press comparisons Empty Re: Progressive press comparisons

Post by Wobbley Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:33 pm

I've loaded on both the Dillon 1000 and the 1050.  I prefer the 1050 for all pistol.  Changing primer systems is a pain so if you load both large and small primers two machines will make your life much much easier.  A commercial loader will have a machine per caliber.  If you need higher production than one Dillon, then an Ammoload machine would be in the mix.  

An 1050 will load easily 600 per hour manually feeding the bullets.  That should keep you in ammo unless you're loading for a team.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Sun Dec 13, 2015 3:43 pm

I should have specified that I would only load 45 on this and use my 550 for all my other calibers. thanks.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Shooter Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:02 pm

Been using a 1050 for over a decade.  The consistent priming is what makes it worth it IMO.

I recently added a Mr. Bulletfeeder in .40 and really like it.  More consistent than hand starting.

Dave Shooter

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:26 pm

Progressive press comparisons 100_1058_zps6363c66e
1050 IS THE WAY TO GO. I PREFER TO HAND SEAT THE BULLET.

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by KevinB Sun Dec 13, 2015 4:35 pm

That's one heck of a man cave.

KevinB

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:09 pm

I load my lead loads on a Lee Pro 1000 that I picked up for $220. I added a bullet feeder for less than $30.

It makes good ammo, it's fast, and it's cheap.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:34 pm

I have a 550 and a 1050.  Now the 550 is used for low volume pistol, load development and all my rifle rounds.  The 1050 is for production (just for me), when I sit down to load I usually do 500 to 1,500 rounds.

I have a MRbulletfeeder but only use it for jacketed ammo, it just got too hard to clean the lube left in it from lead bullets.

- Dave

one benefit the 1050 has that I didn't really expect would be a blessing is the inline primer swager.  I still find a case the small primer pocket (Federal) brass mixed in once in a while.
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnusbullets Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:51 pm

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:52 pm

robert84010 wrote:I don't know if i'm just getting older and lazier, I've never really had a problem loading with my 550 but lately i've been looking at auto indexing with shell feeding presses. Can anybody give a comparison of presses with these features. some even have bullet feeding capabilities, can anybody comment on KISS or MA system units? I'm really looking for info on reliability and if the premium price of a STAR is worth it?
 I used a friends 650 once and it had constant shell feeding problems, it could have been his setup though? It was slower than my 550 overall because I was constantly fixing the little hangups.

I would probably buy a complete Dillon RL1000 in .45acp based on what i've read but I can't find one. If anybody is looking get rid of theirs I would be interested.
Thanks.

There is someone on the Cast Boolits forum that was selling a couple of Dillon RL1000s.  They are available but you'll have to be patient in finding one.  I have a couple of Xl650s, RL1000, Hollywood Automatic (Metallic), Star Universal and a few others and as far as reliability, manufacturer's customer support and parts availability are concerned the XL650 gets my vote.  It just plain gets the job done with a minimal amount of hassle, especially with .45 ACP cartridges.  My Hollywood Automatic is the coolest to have around with it's almost 100 lb. bulk and custom machining but it would be difficult to equal the cost effectiveness and efficiency of the XL650.  I think the same applies to the RL1000 with its unique stainless steel construction and machining that made it cost prohibitive.  The Star Universal is an interesting press with a rich history and following but it's not an auto indexing progressive like the others unless an aftermarket device is added.  I don't know much about the Dillon 1050 but it seems to me that unless you need the primer pocket swaging the Xl650 will be just as effective and at much less cost.  I also believe the 1050 doesn't carry the Dillon no BS warranty like the 650.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:33 pm

I HAVE FOUND THE GREATEST ADVANTAGE OF THE 1050 IS THE PRIMER SEATING. THE DEPTH IS ADJUSTABLE WITH JUST THE TURN OF AN ALLEN KEY. WHICH FOR ME WAS VERY IMPORTANT. I WAS SHOOTING PPC AT THE TIME AND TO TUNE THE PRIMER SEATING DEPTH TO ENSURE FIRING IN LIGHTENED REVOLVER ACTIONS IT WAS UNBEATABLE. SAME GOES WITH BULLSEYE DISTINGUISHED REVOLVER AMMO (#34). AND LIKE ANOTHER SAID , WITH THE INFLUX OF SPP BRASS IN .45. IT'S VERY IMPORTANT THERE ALSO.

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:43 pm

JIMPGOV wrote:Progressive press comparisons 100_1058_zps6363c66e
1050 IS THE WAY TO GO. I PREFER TO HAND SEAT THE BULLET.
you win. that is a reloading room to aspire to.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:59 pm

I have a Hornady lock n Load and its fine but if you have a dillon get another dillon so your spares cover 2 machines.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:06 pm

I sold my 550's and bought a 650 years ago to minimize my time at the reloading bench. Since then I have also started working part time at a type 7 manufacturer loading on Dillon 1050's. The most consistent 45 ammo is loaded on those 1050's with the GSI bullet feeder. Perfectly seated primers and zero run out. Rifle ammo on the same machines make clover leaf groups at 100 yards, AR's and Rem 700's nothing special.

The cost keeps me from converting to a 1050, but the ammo is noticeably better.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:03 am

Ghillieman wrote:I sold my 550's and bought a 650 years ago to minimize my time at the reloading bench. Since then I have also started working part time at a type 7 manufacturer loading on Dillon 1050's. The most consistent 45 ammo is loaded on those 1050's with the GSI bullet feeder. Perfectly seated primers and zero run out. Rifle ammo on the same machines make clover leaf groups at 100 yards, AR's and Rem 700's nothing special.

In what way does the 1050 make ammo better?

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:01 am

Whatever you choose, get one with a case feeder. They all will produce top quality match ammo. I have a Dillon 550 and 650. The 650 is noticeably faster and I like the priming system better. If loading lead bullets, you might want to check out whether a bullet feeder is compatible. They used to be only for jacketed or plated bullets and still may. I think having a station devoted to a powder check device is a big plus.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:49 pm

beeser wrote:
Ghillieman wrote:I sold my 550's and bought a 650 years ago to minimize my time at the reloading bench. Since then I have also started working part time at a type 7 manufacturer loading on Dillon 1050's. The most consistent 45 ammo is loaded on those 1050's with the GSI bullet feeder. Perfectly seated primers and zero run out. Rifle ammo on the same machines make clover leaf groups at 100 yards, AR's and Rem 700's nothing special.

In what way does the 1050 make ammo better?
By mechanically seating primers instead of bumping them in on the bottom stroke. The primer depth can be adjusted on the fly in thousands of an inch and once set they are all exactly the same. 

The swaging station also uniforms the primer pocket, not just removes the crimp.

The GSI bullet feeder holds the bullet in line much better than your hands can. This makes the finished round more concentric and removes nearly all run out.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:01 pm

Thanks for all the input. I'm evaluating it all and realize I really don't need a 1000 or 1050, I only wish I shot enough to need a 1050. Plus I have so much invested in 550 conversions it would be unwise to stop using it, considering the amount of ammo that I actually use.

I'm thinking of making my bench more efficient and ergonomic plus get the 550 casefeeder. I'm pretty sure that will meet all my needs and really fit my current budget.

Has anybody used the 550 casefeeder?

Thanks again.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:59 pm

robert84010 wrote:Has anybody used the 550 casefeeder?

Thanks again.

Yes it works well once adjusted, it can be a little finicky, but once you figure it out it's good to go.

The case feeder for the 550 is only suppose to work with pistol cases, I posted a mod, so you could use it with .223 rifle cases, over on the Brian Enos forum.

If you are interested I could dig it up.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:44 am

I hardly shoot anything but prone matches anymore using a 308 or 6br so I use a rockchucker for that stuff. I size and prime all my 223 brass on the rockchucker anyway, so I figure I could feed the 550 through station 2 if I needed to do some volume of 223. I have seen that the casefeeder works but I like sizing on my rockchucker and then hand priming better, I do it over the winter slowly but surely I get several hundred done.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by GrumpyOldMan Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:19 pm

Okay, I've spent some quality time with a Dillon 550, an RCBS Green Machine, and a Star Universal. Also spent two educational sessions with a Lee Pro 1000 years ago.

They all work and can produce ammo shooting well inside the 10-ring at 50 yards.

They are also all about the same overall NET production rate. What you gain with a casefeeder, you lose by filling up the tubes. Honestly, I think the fastest would be a pour-in-the primers system like the Green Machine/Pro 1000, and just hand-feeding both the cases and bullets. Auto-indexing is nice but really doesn't help that much.  The advantage of it being harder to double-charge a case is more than offset in my opinion by the time troubles when something goes wrong.

For what the OP is asking, I would actually recommend either a Star dedicated for .45 ACP, or a Universal (for caliber changes, just leave it on one setup for a long time...), with the Hulme case feeder. It has the primer seating on the downstroke like the non-550 Dillons, so the depth is truly consistent. It has a small footprint too.

GrumpyOldMan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:13 pm

1980, I bought a CH Auto Champ from Paul Jones...I operated that machine for 11 years and then upgraded to the 1050 I have now.. I liked the CH..It was basically a trouble free machine with a very good production rate... I sold the CH to a friend who loaded on it for quite few years more.. I think the 1050 is king ..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by beeser Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:21 am

Jerry Keefer wrote:1980, I bought a CH Auto Champ from Paul Jones...I operated that machine for 11 years and then upgraded to the 1050 I have now.. I liked the CH..It was basically a trouble free machine with a very good production rate... I sold the CH to a friend who loaded on it for quite few years more.. I think the 1050 is king ..
I just acquired a CH Auto Champ Mark V-a and find it an interesting design and well made.  It's basically a refinement of the older Newcomb/Buchanan/PESCO presses.  Hope to find a Dircks/Tri Standard to add to my collection of inline progressives.

beeser

Back to top Go down

Post by teg2658 Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:28 am

I have owned a Star universal in 45ACP for over 30 years and decided to start loading 38 spec. Bought a Dillon 550, and after using it for maybe a year sold it and bought a Star in 38 spec from Bruce in NJ. Bruce bought out Star and is the person to deal with.
Tom Ginovsky

teg2658

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:08 am

I have an old CPM I purchased from Nell Jones I believe,  from the 70s... it has both the 45 and 38 Special setups and a ton of bushings..

still works perfectly

I use it a bit for 45 but mainly run my 550 for most stuff. 

Besser, send you a PM about inlines
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next