Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cold weather shooting. How does it effect things?

+2
dronning
s1120
6 posters

Go down

Cold weather shooting. How does it effect things?  Empty Cold weather shooting. How does it effect things?

Post by s1120 Mon 4 Jan - 8:44

Shooting my first ever pistol league. Well winter is here, and that means the guns, and ammo will be pretty cold. The range is heated though. Anything to worry about, or plan for? Tips for me as to a best way to deal? Or is it no big deal, and just go shoot??

Last edited by s1120 on Mon 4 Jan - 8:56; edited 1 time in total

s1120

Back to top Go down

Cold weather shooting. How does it effect things?  Empty Re: Cold weather shooting. How does it effect things?

Post by dronning Mon 4 Jan - 8:56

Lube:
It gets thicker in the cold which can cause FTE & FTF issues, synthetics are impacted less.  Heavily lubed 22 rounds can be problematic, keep them in an inside pocket if you have to wear a light coat to stay warm in the range.

Powder:
Some powders are really temp sensitive so that light load you worked up in the summer when it was 80 degrees out may not cycle your slide, if it's only 40 degrees in the range.

When we travel to a match in the winter we keep our ammo in the car with us, instead of the trunk, so it can stay warm too.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Cold weather shooting. How does it effect things?  Empty Re: Cold weather shooting. How does it effect things?

Post by Skid Mon 4 Jan - 10:03

Like Dronning said, I stick my loaded mags in my pants pocket for as long as I can before needed them. Last year during the drive over to to matches we even put our ammo on the floor of the truck and put the heat on the setting. Use the thinnest lube you find on your Slide and frame of your guns.
   I had to wipe the ends off all my .22's last year so they would work. Haven't shot any indoor this year but it's not nearly as cold this year. Smile So far.

Skid

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Mon 4 Jan - 10:40

Before heading out to the range I put all my ammo in a small soft side cooler and add a couple of those chemical hand warmers.  Then at the range I keep one hand warmer inside the box of ammo and one on top of the loaded magazines on the bench.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Mon 4 Jan - 11:14

Ammo kept in a jacket pocket prior to the match. Very light lube on guns (Dillon Snake oil).
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 Mon 4 Jan - 13:06

Thanks for the tips guys.   Ill keep the ammo inside the car where its warm. Ill give that a shot and see if I have any issues.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout Tue 5 Jan - 8:38

I've used Hoppe's No. 9 in the warmer months.  Last winter I used Rem Oil and had no cycling problems with my RO.  It's back to Rem Oil this winter for this Eskimo
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 Tue 5 Jan - 9:06

Bigtrout wrote:I've used Hoppe's No. 9 in the warmer months.  Last winter I used Rem Oil and had no cycling problems with my RO.  It's back to Rem Oil this winter for this Eskimo

I use rem oil anyways, and it seems pretty thin. Today will be the test.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down