Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pistol match ammo inquiry

+3
gweber
Allen Barnett
Wobbley
7 posters

Go down

Pistol match ammo inquiry Empty Pistol match ammo inquiry

Post by Wobbley Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:23 am

Yesterday on another forum, I asked a person who works for the parent of Federal and Speer about the ammo shortage and why it seems the ammo needed by bullseye shooters seems to be scarce.  What I wrote: 

I know you don't set policy, but I'd like to ask why, in this time of shortages of all different kinds of ammunition and components, did the bullseye target pistol shooters seem to be the most severely impacted. CCI 22LR standard velocity, Federal Gold Medal match have been nearly impossible to find especially in any quantity. Also 45ACP and 38 special match target ammo hasn't been seen seen in my locale for some time. Neither have the bullets except recently, and almost no jacketed match bullets. Everybody and their dog is loading 38 special "ball" and defense ammo; same for 45 auto. But why can't we get at least ONE brand of match ammo? Maybe Speer Lawman loading the 148 wadcutter in 38 and 200 gr LSWC in 45Auto? Not all of us are "run and gun" types.

His reply:

I empathize with you, and wish I could help you, but you are not talking to the correct person. Having said that, I know who needs to hear your message, so I have forwarded it to our ammunition brand director.
I do directly support our ammunition operations, and I can tell you we have been making the heck out of ammo. I would probably agree that all of the big numbers are for ball ammo ("run and gun" as you say), but we make all of the sku's we sell as far as I can see in day to day operations. Hopefully you can find some for your sport.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Pistol match ammo inquiry Empty Re: Pistol match ammo inquiry

Post by Allen Barnett Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:42 pm

I sent an e-mail to Hornady asking pretty much the same question as I like their 185 grain JSWC.  Basically they told me that since it was such a slow seller that they really didn't care about the lost sales.  Being local to Sierra bullets I visited their factory and bought myself 50 pounds of 185 grain Tournament Master "seconds" for about 18 cents each. (They shoot as good or better than Hornady "firsts)  Needless to say it will be a cold day before I go back to Hornady bullets.

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by gweber Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:24 pm

On the Hornady topic. I wouldn't write them off completely. I have a friend in management with them. They more than likely fazed it out due to them manufacturing the new 185gr HAP. Which is a pretty accurate bullet. I used it for LEG matches this past season.

gweber

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:08 pm

gweber wrote:On the Hornady topic. I wouldn't write them off completely. I have a friend in management with them. They more than likely fazed it out due to them manufacturing the new 185gr HAP. Which is a pretty accurate bullet. I used it for LEG matches this past season.

+1
The HAP shoots better than the JSWC in my guns.  I'd have to agree with Hornady the market for the JSWC is very small and when you have a better shooting bullet selling x times as many then it's an easy business decision.  It always sucks when something you like gets discontinued.  I'm not saying it's discontinued yet but according to their website the 185gr JSWC is "temporarily suspended".

- Dave
Now I shoot Zero 185 JHP on the long line & Zero 185 LSWC-HP on the short line.

Last edited by dronning on Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:18 pm

An employee at a national chain of large sporting goods stores told me they get a good supply of ammo each week, and yes, even CCI Std Vel.  He went on to say certain store employees use their employee discount to purchase nearly all of the most popular ammo which they then sell at the gun shows.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Blsi2600 Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Zero bullets.  As good or better accuracy.  Lower price.  Free shipping. 

Sponsor of the Zero Gold winnng team at Perry this year with the owner in attendance on the ready line with the team.  

Support those that support us.

135.55 Shipped for 1k or more.

Blsi2600

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Feb 09, 2016 1:46 pm

I went with Magnusbullets 185jhp. Great price and great bullet, plus he is on the forums.

website is underdevelopement

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down