Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lets pop open this can of worms! OIL!

+27
JKR
SSgtG
rreid
ChipEck
Ed Hall
Allen Barnett
AllAces
Axehandle
john bickar
LenV
HenryA
Dr.Don
sixftunda
jbzeus
Tim:H11
weber1b
jglenn21
Sa-tevp
KenO
jmdavis
BE Mike
Telewreck
C.Perkins
Wobbley
Jerry Keefer
Chris Miceli
DavidR
31 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Lets pop open this can of worms! OIL! - Page 2 Empty Lets pop open this can of worms! OIL!

Post by DavidR 2/3/2016, 4:24 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ok, we have many of the best gunsmiths and shooters in the whole USA on our forum and I'm sure many of us  would love some of their insight on this topic, So here goes  what is the BEST oil " that can be commercially bought" for our 1911 Target guns and why you feel it is,  also what works best for Stainless steel if you feel its different from Carbon steel guns? Lets pop open this can of worms! OIL! - Page 2 1883569342

Last edited by DavidR on 2/3/2016, 4:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Lets pop open this can of worms! OIL! - Page 2 Empty Re: Lets pop open this can of worms! OIL!

Post by HenryA 2/3/2016, 9:34 pm

Kroil on brushes to clean, then one of two versions of Eds Red (heavier or lighter depending on my whim or which one is closer), scrub some more, wipe out the bore, then hose the slide with WD40 and blow that clean, wipe thoroughly with paper towel, then Red on the appropriate moving parts at reassembly. That's the drill for 1911 type pistols.

HenryA

Back to top Go down

Lets pop open this can of worms! OIL! - Page 2 Empty Re: Lets pop open this can of worms! OIL!

Post by LenV 2/3/2016, 10:38 pm

I use TW25B on the barrel, Wilson Combat Ultima Lube grease on the sear face and Ultima Lube oil on the slide. I always have a can of Rem oil with me for a ramp blaster and the .22s. I also have some "Slick 50" that I use when storing for awhile. WD40? I use WD40 a lot to spray my fishing lures (great fish attracter). I also have some Browning oil that I use from time to time. I don't know if any of them are the "best" but that is what I use.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar 2/4/2016, 12:44 am

Extra Virgin Olive.

Butter.

Bacon grease.

I'm sorry - what were we talking about, again? I'm hungry.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Axehandle 2/4/2016, 6:23 am

No off the shelf oil for 1911s here.   NGMTU gunsmith gave me a recipe in the early 80s.  1 Quart 20W ND motor oil, 1 quart type F transmission fluid.  1 can of STP, and a shot of Hoppe's #9.   Really think the Hoppe's is just to give it a distinctive odor.  Mixed a batch in the 80s and still using that same batch.      Learned that the 22s don't like it in cold weather.  22s get just any light gun oil...

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 2/4/2016, 7:40 am

john bickar wrote:Extra Virgin Olive.

Butter.

Bacon grease.

Everything is better with butter and bacon grease. Scores should go up 40 points and the dogs will clean your guns.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Lets pop open this can of worms! OIL! - Page 2 Empty Red Oil Reciepe

Post by Allen Barnett 2/4/2016, 8:56 am

Axehandle wrote:No off the shelf oil for 1911s here.   NGMTU gunsmith gave me a recipe in the early 80s.  1 Quart 20W ND motor oil, 1 quart type F transmission fluid.  1 can of STP, and a shot of Hoppe's #9.   Really think the Hoppe's is just to give it a distinctive odor.  Mixed a batch in the 80s and still using that same batch.      Learned that the 22s don't like it in cold weather.  22s get just any light gun oil...
I also use the National Guard "Red Oil" recipe, but what I have is a little different but it does make up a gallon of oil which will last an individual for life.  My recipe calls for an 8 ounce bottle of Hoppes #9, 1 bottle of STP oil treatment, 1 quart of 10W motor oil, fill to gallon limit with about 3 quarts of automatic transmission fluid or "cherry juice" (hydraulic artillery recoil oil, try to find that one at your local auto parts shop, LOL).  The only shortcoming is it does get a sticky at temperature below 40 degrees.  We used this stuff in large amounts.  We always said, "If the oil wasn't dripping off your elbow you don't have enough oil on your pistol!"

Allen Barnett

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/4/2016, 9:32 am

The artillery recoil oil was very likely MIL-H-5606 you can get that at most small aircraft supply (pilot supply) stores as it is still used on light aircraft brake systems.  It has been replaced by MIL-PRF-83282 but they are interchangeable.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed Hall 2/4/2016, 9:58 am

It should be noted for any newcomers that Ed's Red and Red Oil are two different solutions.  Ed's Red is not designed for lubrication.  Red Oil, as mentioned, is temperature sensitive.  I also haven't been seeing the STP ingredient lately.  But then again, I haven't needed to make any since I have a good supply of Red Oil and am using different lubrication than it.

I use mainly just two lubricants:

Breakfree CLP, because it's what I've always used, and graphite-less moly, because my 208s wants it.  I have also started using the moly in my other guns for the hammer/sear interface.

Ed Hall

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Back to top Go down

Post by ChipEck 2/4/2016, 5:49 pm

FireClean.

Last edited by ChipEck on 7/1/2016, 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
ChipEck
ChipEck

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 2/4/2016, 6:08 pm

john bickar wrote:Extra Virgin Olive.

Butter.

Bacon grease.

This forum needs a "like" button.  

I currently have Mobil1 5W20 in the little oil bottle I keep in my gun box.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by SSgtG 2/5/2016, 11:08 pm

For cleaning there is nothing better than Gunzilla. For lube I use Marvels Mystery Oil with a little Velocity mixed in.

SSgtG

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR 2/7/2016, 5:59 am

Mobile 1  0-20 in my 45's and my Subaru.

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by Randy Earnest 2/7/2016, 8:12 pm

GUNZILLA, I've been using it since I first bought it from the maker at Camp Perry in 2010. I use it to lubricate and to clean all my firearms.
Randy Earnest
Randy Earnest

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 2/7/2016, 9:56 pm

I sprayed mine with "group tightner" but I ran out and can't find it anywhere. Crying or Very sad
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by sklarcpa 2/8/2016, 7:41 am

Gunzilla for all cleaning and the Marvel oil to run them.
sklarcpa
sklarcpa

Back to top Go down

Post by 1joel1 2/8/2016, 8:47 am

Gunzilla for cleaning. Then, lithium grease for sliding parts and Miltec for rotating parts.

Joel

1joel1

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 2/9/2016, 11:09 am

Being as Lazy as I am I get most of my information from Adam. Being in the AMU that have deep pockets and research everything that will improve their shooting. A few years ago while at Perry Adam told me to get NECO MOLYSLIDE. I was told it worked better than anything they tried. $10 for a 1oz. at Perry. I use it and like it I still have most of it because a little goes a looong way. I have no use for WD 40 except as a lubricant when drilling Acrylic. I do buy Kroil by the gallon but haven't used it on my guns.

Frank

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2