Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield RO or Loaded Target?

+15
SW-52
spursnguns
Mac2
Bigtrout
Jon Eulette
orpheoet
Rob Kovach
Chris Miceli
dronning
bdas
weber1b
james r chapman
mspingeld
LenV
cypress
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Springfield RO or Loaded Target? - Page 2 Empty Springfield RO or Loaded Target?

Post by cypress Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:33 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm looking at getting my first 1911 and would like some advice.  Generally, I want a pistol that's accurate for informal target shooting and occasional bullseye matches without jumping in for over $1000.  The Springfield Range Officer seems to fit that niche quite nicely.  Except for the fact that I'm a left handed shooter and would prefer an ambidextrous safety.  I don't intend to use this as a carry gun and I realize that I can have it changed later if I want.  Then I noticed that the Loaded Target model has an ambidextrous safety and might work just as well for me.  I read lots of praise for the Range Officer but haven't seen much good or bad in comparison for the Loaded.  Would I be missing anything as far as accuracy if I go with the Loaded Target model, or would I be better off in the long run going with the Range Officer?

I haven't decided to go with 9mm or .45acp yet, that's another consideration.

cypress

Back to top Go down

Springfield RO or Loaded Target? - Page 2 Empty Re: Springfield RO or Loaded Target?

Post by SteveBrown Mon May 08, 2017 1:09 pm

I hate to beat a dead horse but...
If price weren't a factor (both same price) would the Range Officer still be the choice? I have an opportunity to buy a Loaded for the same price as a RO.

SteveBrown

Back to top Go down

Springfield RO or Loaded Target? - Page 2 Empty Re: Springfield RO or Loaded Target?

Post by LenV Mon May 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Same price? Go for the loaded. I like RO's but they look like turds. Just the opinion of someone that has two of them. Smile

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Mon May 08, 2017 1:28 pm

LenV wrote:Same price? Go for the loaded. I like RO's but they look like turds. Just the opinion of someone that has two of them. Smile

Len
I agree, if the price is the same. I don't think the RO has anything the loaded doesn't and the reverse is not true.

I don't know about "they look like turds" but the parkerized finish never looks quite as clean. Of course that doesn't bother me and I usually have some oil coming out from somewhere anyway. I have been taught that 1911's like to run wet anyway. One thing I do when I actually clean my RO's is I rub the finish down with gun oil and let it soak in. Makes for a nice looking consistent finish, at least until I start shooting them again. If you are someone who likes rubbing you gun down with silicone cloths, you will find those don't work so well on the parkerized finish.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon May 08, 2017 2:26 pm

As far as i know the loaded doesn't come with target adjustable sights.... so yes you will be missing out.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Mon May 08, 2017 2:30 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:As far as i know the loaded doesn't come with target adjustable sights.... so yes you will be missing out.
There may be a target loaded model, but otherwise that is an excellent point, and one that would send me to the RO. (which I have two of BTW)

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Mon May 08, 2017 2:37 pm

The rear sight on my Loaded Target has screws on (2) faces...but I'm still trying to figure out what that bump on the front is for.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane Mon May 08, 2017 3:28 pm

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:The rear sight on my Loaded Target has screws on (2) faces...but I'm still trying to figure out what that bump on the front is for.

That's a scratching post in case you've got an itch.   clown

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Mon May 08, 2017 8:13 pm

My loaded came with bomar style sights.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Mon May 08, 2017 8:38 pm

Loaded Target come with the same sights as the RO.
Springfield RO or Loaded Target? - Page 2 19592-DEFAULT-l
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBrown Tue May 09, 2017 6:24 am

SW-52 wrote:i dream always with a Colt Gold Cup National Match serie 70 .45 and MKIII .38 midrange national match,but i think the Range officer is a Great Pistol for the price. with a delicious and crisp trigger job,makes a real Precision Machine. my next buy will a Range officer. the unique problem i have with springfield armory is the warranty,because they don't cover Puerto Rico(i Don't know for what...)
Thanks for all the replies, great information! I had someone selling a new Loaded but he was kinda flakey so we may not make the deal. I'll likely order one from somewhere unless something shows up here first.
While I was looking I came across a Colt Gold Cup National Match and it should get here this week!!! 
Thanks again for the responses and for taking the time to post.

SteveBrown

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue May 09, 2017 6:30 am

LenV wrote:Loaded Target come with the same sights as the RO.
your internet skills are strong, but i don't see that model on springfields website.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBrown Tue May 09, 2017 6:39 am

I get carried away at times reading and clicking so I really don't know how I found it! This internet thing is only a fad and just for kids.

SteveBrown

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Tue May 09, 2017 7:35 am

It is no longer in production in this form but it was a production model. I have a similar one with combat sights in what they call their Champion length. I had it further customized by Springfield and it is my favorite non Bullseye gun.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Tue May 09, 2017 9:29 am

Chris Miceli wrote:
LenV wrote:Loaded Target come with the same sights as the RO.
your internet skills are strong, but i don't see that model on springfields website.
On a quick count there looks to be 17 of them available on Gunbroker right now. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/643208991
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Wed May 10, 2017 8:38 am

Rob Kovach wrote:My loaded target had a smooth front strap.  I believe you need to upgrade to Trophy Match to get a checkered front strap.
You are correct. I have a fixed sight "Loaded" and a "Match Trophy". The Loaded was actually more accurate than the Match Trophy before I fitted a new barrel bushing. I would opt for the SA with the lower price tag, as I think that there isn't much difference in accuracy among the different models. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the quality of the trigger pulls either.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2