Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the likely cause of this pattern?

+9
Wobbley
Tim:H11
Rob Kovach
john bickar
Jack H
dronning
james r chapman
Jon Eulette
trotterlg
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What is the likely cause of this pattern? - Page 2 Empty What is the likely cause of this pattern?

Post by trotterlg 3/26/2016, 12:00 am

First topic message reminder :

Shot my first 900 match (22 RF, all 25 yards turning targets) Shot a 770.  This match and all my practice targets exhibit the same pattern, a pronounced egg shape with the pointy ends at 1:30 and 7:30.  Every target nearly the same.  I am an old guy shooting iron sights and right handed.  I have shrunk the group size to nothing out of the 5 ring but the same pattern persists.  Thanks for any insight you may have.  Larry

trotterlg

Back to top Go down

What is the likely cause of this pattern? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the likely cause of this pattern?

Post by Rob Kovach 3/30/2016, 10:29 pm

John,

Since this is a new shooter, I don't want to over-complicate his learning curve by having his elevation changing due to the difference in size of the black between those targets and the official bullseye targets.
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

What is the likely cause of this pattern? - Page 2 Empty Re: What is the likely cause of this pattern?

Post by john bickar 3/30/2016, 11:14 pm

Fair enough, but is the OP shooting center hold or sub-six?

I would argue that the international rapid fire target is the best for teaching pure sight alignment. Even better than a blank target face.
john bickar
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 3/30/2016, 11:32 pm

john bickar wrote:Fair enough, but is the OP shooting center hold or sub-six?

I would argue that the international rapid fire target is the best for teaching pure sight alignment. Even better than a blank target face.

Yep! I believe dry firing on blank wall is beneficial but never had much belief in blank back of target. Int. RF target is excellent tool, but I know my old eyes struggle to see anything center hold because of black target. Mr. Bickar has nailed it!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by trotterlg 3/31/2016, 12:36 am

When I shot the competition I held at 6, the black bull was small on them at 25 yards.  With the reduced size targets I hold on center, it is indoor and I can see the front sight easily.  Not really worried about where they go, just where the center of the group is, I can always move it.  The sights are adjustable, but not click stops, so they are a pain to change.  If you look at the first target I think the group is slightly high which reflects the hold at zero.  Larry

trotterlg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 3/31/2016, 1:08 am

Larry,
What kind of pistol are you using?
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by trotterlg 3/31/2016, 10:15 am

China knockoff of a Walther

What is the likely cause of this pattern? - Page 2 Pist

trotterlg

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 3/31/2016, 11:16 am

What spurred me to ask was your statement about non click adjustable sights. If you are not using a pistol with quality sights, trigger pull, etc, It's hard to expect good results. I don't know how capable your pistol is of actually shooting good groups even if a high master shot it. So basically your pistol can/could be holding you back. I personally will not shoot a pistol that isn't match quality. I expect a lot from a pistol. I want bad shots to be my fault, never the guns. So you might consider upgrading ot some trigger work if you even think you are being limited by your pistol.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by trotterlg 3/31/2016, 12:54 pm

Trigger breaks at 39 to 40 Ounces with my pull gauge.  The sights look good, they are just a pain to adjust, I did have to make the rear notch a tiny bit wider so as to have a little white on both sides.  Trigger Feels as good as a Timney I have on my 20 Swift, with that rifle I can put 20 inside a quarter at 100 yards, but that is whole different skill set.  Larry

trotterlg

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 3/31/2016, 1:06 pm

Just to satisfy the curious. If you get a chance maybe you could sandbag the pistol and see what kind of groups it will shoot. That would eliminate any suspicion of the inherit accuracy of the pistol. Its worth a look.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Rob Kovach 3/31/2016, 4:19 pm

Larry Leutenegger just posted on the facebook page that he's shooting one of those also!

What kind of pistol is that?

...oh, and Larry, if you are Larry Leutenegger, you don't need any coaching from me....
Rob Kovach
Rob Kovach
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by trotterlg 3/31/2016, 4:33 pm

I am the "other Larry" I guess.  These were made in China in the late 70's and early 80's, mine is one of the early ones, serial number in the 400 range.  They were imported by various companies, Norinco Olympia is what mine is called but they were also from "China Small Arms" and likely some others.  A knockoff of an Olympic Walther, most parts interchange with them.  Larry

trotterlg

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 4/1/2016, 5:14 pm

I've shot the Norinco version. Other than the sights it is pretty good. The one that I tried will shoot x ring if the shooter can do it. The sights are not easy for me to see without a BRIGHT sight light.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by trotterlg 4/12/2016, 5:53 pm

Thank you for all the suggestions.  I have worked on doing some strength training for a week or so just holding my arem extended holding a 4 pound weight.  I put a total of 100 rounds in these two targets today, the 25 yard simulated rapid fire pistol target at 10 yards, it does look like things are starting to come together, at least the pattern is round now.  LarryWhat is the likely cause of this pattern? - Page 2 100

trotterlg

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 4/12/2016, 7:56 pm

The shift in center of mass for the groups is shifting the grip position differently, and we all struggle with that from time to time.  Use your free hand to place the gun in your hand and do it consistently.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 5/17/2016, 12:13 pm

I would not shoot so many shoots without a feedback loop. Measured by Group size , score , # of Xs ect.....

I shoot ten shots SF write down my score and repeat repeat 5x if I am working on SF. If you find yourself getting worse after 20 rounds end the session or change the gun or course of fire. 

Usually I will shoot two slow fires. They can be on the same target -shoot ten then score then shoot ten. 

If slow fire is at the high end of my scores then I will shoot one more SF and shoot a 900 or finish up with 1 timed and 1 rapid string. The decision is based on how much ammo I have and how much work I need to do on CF/45acp, 

If my sustained fire was off in my prior match I will shoot just one Slow Fire on a Rapid fire repair center, which the goal of shooting 10x, Usually I get 98 4 to 6x. I then practice sustained fire with a cooking timer. 

I never shoot much more than 100 rounds in practice unless I am zeroing and testing a new gun, or looking to get rid of Ammo that is not printing well for matches. In most cases 100 rounds is more than enough. 

My Dad once said shooting too much can make you a bad shot. 

RT
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by trotterlg 5/20/2016, 6:26 pm

I think things are starting to tighten up some now.  I have continued holding out the weight at night and am getting more steady the longer I work at it.  Shot this today, 24 rounds, as I calculate it this target at 20 feet roughly simulates the 25 meter bulls eye target.  Larry

What is the likely cause of this pattern? - Page 2 24t

trotterlg

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2