Adjusting load for casting mold difference

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Adjusting load for casting mold difference

Post by lablover on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:05 am

Started casting because I seem to be insane.  Nevertheless I'm having a blast.  Got a new NOE mold and when using wheel weights my 200 SWC comes out at 213 gr.  I was going to use this for 25 yard practice etc until I get the correct alloy to make them closer to 200 gr 

Anyway, how would you adjust the 3.8 gr of BE load?  Or, would you just leave it alone?

Thanks

Joe

lablover

Back to top Go down

Re: Adjusting load for casting mold difference

Post by Rich/WIS on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:44 am

Load should be okay, but might need lighter recoil spring.  Using 4.0 BE with the same bullet (about 216 with range lead) and 14 lb springs and have no issues with function or accuracy.

Rich/WIS

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover on Sat Mar 26, 2016 10:49 am

Rich/WIS wrote:Load should be okay, but might need lighter recoil spring.  Using 4.0 BE with the same bullet (about 216 with range lead) and 14 lb springs and have no issues with function or accuracy.
I'm glad to hear you have good accuracy with this.  I may not even mess with the alloy mix if they shoot good.  I may very well try your 4.0 gr of BE as well

lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by JKR on Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:33 pm

I'm using this mold as well. My results are exactly the same as yours and Rich's. 213 with wheel weights and 216 with range scrap. If you mix alloy to get the weight down to 200, the bullets may be getting a bit harder than desired for our slow moving target loads.

I've loaded as low as 3.3 BE for the short line, up to 4.1 for the long line. I'm having good success with this load at 50 yds. I'm currently running a 12 lb. recoil spring. (slide mounted scope) 3.3 is right on the edge with this spring. 

Have fun!

Jim

JKR

Back to top Go down

Post by lablover on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:40 pm

JKR wrote:I'm using this mold as well. My results are exactly the same as yours and Rich's. 213 with wheel weights and 216 with range scrap. If you mix alloy to get the weight down to 200, the bullets may be getting a bit harder than desired for our slow moving target loads.

I've loaded as low as 3.3 BE for the short line, up to 4.1 for the long line. I'm having good success with this load at 50 yds. I'm currently running a 12 lb. recoil spring. (slide mounted scope) 3.3 is right on the edge with this spring. 

Have fun!

Jim
Jim

Cant thank you enough for the info.  Awesome news for sure.  Bad thing is I shoot precision rifle so when I saw the weight difference I had a stroke..Well sort of..LOL

Whew, gonna sleep well tonight.  Right after I cast a bunch more  Smile

lablover

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 6:09 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum