Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?

+10
Saladman
LenV
scheibenpistole
Mac2
Jack H
rvlvrlvr
kjanracing
rich.tullo
Wobbley
s1120
14 posters

Go down

Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?  Empty Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?

Post by s1120 Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:27 am

Might be posted in the wrong place.... 

So this winter, after fighting with the old flexi flyer1911 trying to get it to hit the broad side of a barn in centerfire, I started working with my revolver. Getting a load worked up, and spending as much time as I could getting my rhythm down for time/rapid fire, my scores improved a lot..  Almost matching my .22 scores with the .38. So Because im getting low on .22SV ammo for my High Standards, I hit up the range and dug out my 22 revolver that I haven't shot in ages..  Right off the rip Im shooting better scores then I did with the pistol after a whole winter of shooting it! And that's just using bulk Fed Automatch...   Ill admit im on the low end of the learning curve for Bullseye.... but do some people just shoot revolvers better?

s1120

Back to top Go down

Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?  Empty Re: Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?

Post by Wobbley Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:51 am

For some, revolvers balance better and some triggers in revolvers are better.  Auto loaders work much better in sustained fire.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?  Empty Re: Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?

Post by rich.tullo Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:56 am

They point well and my Dad made master with 586/25. If you have large hands and put in the practice I have seen old timers have zero problems with timed and rapid in fact like in the old time cowboy movies - a wheel gun is theoretically faster than a Semi Auto. 

RT
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:59 am

rich.tullo wrote:They point well and my Dad made master with 586/25. If you have large hands and put in the practice I have seen old timers have zero problems with timed and rapid in fact like in the old time cowboy movies - a wheel gun is theoretically faster than a Semi Auto. 

RT

After a fist time rapid fire with the 38 and only getting 3-4 shots off, I worked with the timer apps a lot, and got the rapid fire stage pretty much down. Learning to be working the hammer, as im recovering from the shot was a real key for me!

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:58 am

I started with a Range Officer. Added a Nelson conversion with a red dot.  Thought a single action would be just fun, so bought a Ruger Blackhawk convertible I could also shoot .45 ACP in. Darn if I didn't shoot it almost as well as the RO. That was the start of revolvers for me. I finished the local BE league shooting only revolver and took 2nd. For me, I can shoot RF single action with the .22 (17-4). For .38, I shoot the first shot of RF cocked single action, the rest double action. My model 14 has a super smooth DA. I'll be shooting revolver in the next league. I really like them better.
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:08 am

kjanracing wrote:I started with a Range Officer. Added a Nelson conversion with a red dot.  Thought a single action would be just fun, so bought a Ruger Blackhawk convertible I could also shoot .45 ACP in. Darn if I didn't shoot it almost as well as the RO. That was the start of revolvers for me. I finished the local BE league shooting only revolver and took 2nd. For me, I can shoot RF single action with the .22 (17-4). For .38, I shoot the first shot of RF cocked single action, the rest double action. My model 14 has a super smooth DA. I'll be shooting revolver in the next league. I really like them better.

I shoot single action. I have found with some practice that I can get in all shots in a rapid fire string with no issues. My revolvers also have great triggers. That helps. Also Im shooting one of the strangest .22 revolvers on the line im sure. its a S&W model 53 jet with a 22LR cylinder. The trigger is so smooth, and it shoots so nice!!!

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:23 pm

I 'cut my teeth' shooting all-revolvers for a couple years from when I started shooting Bullseye until I made Master. Then I switched to semi-autos for a bit while picking up a different hobby. Now I'm back to shooting both, and shoot them about equally well.
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:28 pm

rvlvrlvr wrote:I 'cut my teeth' shooting all-revolvers for a couple years from when I started shooting Bullseye until I made Master. Then I switched to semi-autos for a bit while picking up a different hobby. Now I'm back to shooting both, and shoot them about equally well.

I read that post the other day. Nice shooting!!!!

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:42 pm

s1120 wrote:I read that post the other day. Nice shooting!!!!

Thanks!

I'll admit that semi-autos are easier and seem to require less practice to maintain proficiency, but I'll also maintain that I feel that revolvers really taught me not to waste any time in Rapid shooting all single-action, that everything's going to move throughout the shot and that should be accepted, and driving the sights back to the target is key.
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:39 pm

I seem to remember you were getting into bike racing. How did/is it going?
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:02 pm

Working with the 22 and 38 smith a lot lately. Working on blank target drills,, and a few of the other ones...  groups are getting a little tighter. I mistakenly grabbed the wrong box of ammo for the 22 today, and it was HV fed bulk copper washed....  Not what Ive been shooting at ALL, but even with that I was shooting targets with all in the score rings, and most in the black. [50' slowfire targets] Im vary happy with my progress, and will stick with the two revolvers at lest till I mount a red dot on my High Standard...  I really like the sights on my Smiths, so I think that might be a lot of it. Its easy for me to see, and center the front sight. All in all, Im seeing progress!!!  Im happy with that.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:56 pm

On the rare occasion that I can say I did my best ever, it was with a revolver.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by rvlvrlvr Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:12 pm

kjanracing wrote:I seem to remember you were getting into bike racing. How did/is it going?

It goes. I've put on a few pounds and I've upgraded categories - now a Cat 3 so I'm not as competitive as I once was, but I still go out and train and ride and race in support of the racing team I've founded, and because I think keeping my cardiovascular health in good shape actually helps my shooting a lot. I also use cycling (riding alone) to do all the thinking that I avoid doing when I'm on the firing line, heh. In doing all that stuff, I've come to believe that nutrition -- which is so important in bike racing -- is also very important in shooting, though the goals are different: looking to fuel a performance in racing with carbohydrates, while excess carbs in shooting might be detrimental; e.g. having a Coke before/during a race is fine, or even good, while having a Coke before/during a match is no-bueno. Stuff like that.
rvlvrlvr
rvlvrlvr

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:36 pm

I'm in the same boat. I started running last year, and this year reset my whole eating choices and habits. Feel 100% better and down 40lbs since last year this time!! It has totally improved my shooting.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?  Empty Some people can shoot revolvers

Post by Mac2 Sat Aug 13, 2016 3:27 pm

Last night I watched a fellow shoot revolver in a bowling pin match - very fast and very accurate - almost never missed.  He shot a longer 617 (S&W ten shot 22LR) with iron sights and a shorter 617 with a Burris 8MOA red-dot sight.  Both revolvers spit lead out the side. 
Years of practice shooting double action.  I was very impressed.  It can be done.  As with so many skills, one must need to start when very young.   Mac

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by scheibenpistole Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:37 am

Hi,
Getting in on this thread kind of late.  (Sorry!)

When I started with bullseye, I initially used a S&W 41 and Colt Woodsman Match.  My brother got two pre-war Colts: a Police Positive Target and and Officer's Model Target, both in .22.  
When I borrowed his Colts, the improvement in scores was immediate.  Follow through was much easier.  And, the way those old Colts were tuned, the trigger and cocking was very smooth.  Neither were fussy about ammo (take that S&W 41!!).  The balance and grip shape contributed to a steady hold, at least for me.

Sadly, he had to sell them, at just the time when I was a broke grad student....Crying or Very sad

Best Regards,
Jim
scheibenpistole
scheibenpistole

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:24 am

I don't know if I shoot revolvers better then pistols. I do shoot them as well as pistols. I shot my 25-2 for the whole 45 match last match (22nd). Then shot it again for the Reeves match. Kinda had it dialed in by the time we got around to the Reeves match. I shoot SA only. Wasn't perfect, but nice for my old body.

Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?  Dscf0918
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:07 am

Nice!
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by Saladman Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:24 pm

Would it make sense to tune the double action to as low as it can go while leaving the single action at the required minimum weight?  This way you can keep the same grip for each shot instead of changing it for every time you cock the hammer?

I was kicking around the idea of setting up a revolver for 2700 Centerfire and Distinguished Revolver.  I think it could be fun.   Smile

Heck, some European companies make revolvers set up for International Centerfire pistol competitions.

Saladman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:35 pm

Just keep in mind there are constraints on what you can do to a revolver for DR that would be fine for a 2700.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:54 pm

I tried to get a double action way down but ran into the laws of physics. No matter how smooth you get it internally the trigger still has to get the hammer back. If you adjust it too low (weight) then you get light primer strikes. Going too light on the rebound spring also caused me problems in single action. I just grip the revolver real low and leave room for the thumb to move freely and try to shoot without milking the grip. But, that may not work for everyone. YMMV

Len
Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?  Pictur10
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:15 pm

I have a really good Smith & Wesson armorer.  He was able to get my double action down to about 7.5 lbs and have it run 100% with Federal primers. For timed and rapid, I start with the hammer cocked and shoot the remaining 4 shots double action.  I grip the revolver as high I can without getting hammer bite. By the way, my revolver picks up 3+ pounds in single action.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by ropsahl Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:58 pm

I know a HarryReeves match winner that likely shoots his K-38 revolver better then his 1911.

ropsahl

Back to top Go down

Post by s1120 Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:14 pm

LenV wrote:I tried to get a double action way down but ran into the laws of physics. No matter how smooth you get it internally the trigger still has to get the hammer back. If you adjust it too low (weight) then you get light primer strikes. Going too light on the rebound spring also caused me problems in single action. I just grip the revolver real low and leave room for the thumb to move freely and try to shoot without milking the grip. But, that may not work for everyone. YMMV

Len
Anyone shoot revolvers better then Pistols?  Pictur10

That's pretty much the same hold I use. Spending some days using the BE recorded commands really got me in the groove and allowed me to hit all shots rapid, without stressing it.

s1120

Back to top Go down

Post by larryxyx Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:03 am

I remember when I first started, three of the old timers shot revolvers.
They practice shooting the clock. (Dry fire)
There hands where like lighting.

larryxyx

http://larryxyz@comcast.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down