1911 Custom-Fit Target Grips 3D-Printed now available

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1911 Custom-Fit Target Grips 3D-Printed now available

Post by BerryhillAC on 4/9/2016, 9:16 pm

Are you ready to upgrade those slabs on your 1911?  I can make a pair of custom-measured target grips for you to bring to the firing line.   Does your palm shelf not quite fit the way you want or does it move around when you least want it to?  With a custom-measured grip, the palm shelf is one with the grip and isn't going anywhere.   Ever.  Unless of course you take some sandpaper to it to make your own further adjustments.

If you shoot NRA Bullseye, I can include a nice wide shelf for your hand as well as a thumb rest at your desired angle and height.  You'll see a digital rendering before I print your grip, so you'll know exactly what you're getting.  If you shoot ISSF International, we'll keep it to the allowable 50mm width, but you get to decide how much palm shelf versus thumb rest space you want on either side of your grips.

Visit my website at www.precisiontargetpistolgrips.com/1911.html for pictures and more information.  If you've got questions, ask them here, or send me a note at PrecisionTargetPistolGrips(AT)gmail.com.

Andrew

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 Custom-Fit Target Grips 3D-Printed now available

Post by LenV on 5/9/2016, 7:27 pm

Andrew,  I thought I would make this a public question in case someone else is curious. I notice on your web site that you have the Browning Buckmark listed. I read where they will fit as long as they have removable grips. The "Hunter" model is not UFX, URX or UBX. I tried to order a set of Nills from Mactec but got a response that Nills won't fit the Hunter or Contour model. This was a long winded way of asking if you know for certain that your grips will fit the Hunter model? I wouldn't want to order a set for my little hands and find out they wouldn't fit the pistol.

Thanks, Len
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC on 5/9/2016, 8:21 pm

Len,

Thanks for your interest in my grips.  Trying to keep up with Buckmark names and styles is an exhausting undertaking I've nearly given up on doing.  However I'd be happy to take a look at your Buckmark and see if I can make a grip for it.  As I looked at all the guns that popped up when I search "Browning Buckmark Hunter", I saw lots of pictures of guns with standard-looking wooden grip panels.  If that's what yours looks like, then I know I can do it.  It is the Buckmarks with the grip one-piece molded into the plastic frame underneath that makes a custom grip build exceptionally difficult.  At this point I'd suggest you just take a picture of your Buckmark's frame without the grips attached (left and right) and email it to me at PrecisionTargetPistolGrips(at)gmail.com and I'll know for sure.

If you already know you're looking for a smaller grip than standard for this gun, that let's me know where to start in building your grip.  I'll build it with a minimal width and dimensionally in the other axises as per your measurements outlined on my web site.  And as part of the process I'll send you a digital rendering for you to look at before I send it to the 3d printer.

Let me know if you have any other questions,
All best,
Andrew

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 5/9/2016, 8:34 pm

I wasn't serious about the small grips. It was kind of one of those tongue in cheek comments. I have very large hands for a human. Small for a Gorilla. I will send you the side pictures.

Len
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC on 5/9/2016, 8:38 pm

No problem!  Big hands are easy to make grips for.  They just take a little more time on the printer.

Andrew

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas on 5/10/2016, 11:01 am

BerryhillAC wrote:...Trying to keep up with Buckmark names and styles is an exhausting undertaking I've nearly given up on doing.  However I'd be happy to take a look at your Buckmark and see if I can make a grip for it.  ... It is the Buckmarks with the grip one-piece molded into the plastic frame underneath that makes a custom grip build exceptionally difficult.  At this point I'd suggest you just take a picture of your Buckmark's frame without the grips attached (left and right) and email it to me at PrecisionTargetPistolGrips(at)gmail.com and I'll know for sure.

I have an opinion about all of this, because (a) I own a Buckmark, (b) my wife owns a Buckmark with a different grip, (c) I have large hands, and (d) I just received my 3D-printed grips (for a 1911) from Mr. Berryhill.

First, the Buckmark grip issues...  The best resource I've found for understanding the differences between the various Buckmark grips is thread 196955 on RimfireCentral.com. It has nice pictures, but it's a lot to wade through.  Here's my synopsis of the Buckmark grips from my website (https://sites.google.com/site/davesguninfo/buckmark):

There are a few different grip styles on different Buckmarks.  There are standard grips, UFX grips, URX grips, and UDX grips.  The grip type is often part of the model name, but not always. The problem is, the grip style is an important factor when choosing which Buckmark model to get, and Browning doesn't explain the differences on their website.  It is important to make this decision before you buy your Buckmark, because you can't change your mind afterwards. If you want more details and pictures, check out this grip frame thread on Rimfire Central.  But here's the short version:

1. The standard grip and UFX grip have the same frame dimensions.  Most aftermarket Buckmark grips fit this frame only (because for a long time, it was the only Buckmark frame).  The standard grips are the shaped wooden grips with separate left and right panels, that you see on the Hunter model.  The UFX grip has colored rubber panels set into the grips. Because this frame is the largest, people with large hands typically prefer it.
  2. The URX has different frame dimensions, and is usually covered with grips that wrap around the front and usually have finger grooves (although, when you take the grips off, the front of the metal frame is mostly flat, and does not have finger grooves).  Because the URX frame is shorter front-to-back and contoured differently, standard/UFX grips won't fit on it nicely. Because it has smaller dimensions, people with smaller hands tend to prefer the URX frame to the standard/UFX frame, even though the smallness is mitigated somewhat by the wrap-around nature of the URX grips.
  3. The UDX is different because it has separate left and right side panels (not a wrap-around grip), but has finger grooves cut/molded into both the grips and the frame itself. As such, I wouldn't expect any non-UDX grips to fit nicely on a UDX frame.  Dimensionally, the UDX frame is between the larger standard/UFX frame and the smaller URX frame, but since it does not have wrap-around grips, it also fits smaller hands.

Which frame style should you get?  If you plan to install aftermarket grips that are not specifically made for the URX or UDX frame, such as most fancy target grips, (and your hands aren't too small) you should get one with a standard/UFX frame.  Otherwise, hold one of each type, and choose the one that fits your hand the best; chances are, it will be obvious when you try them side-by-side. Grip comfort matters.

Ok, so where does that leave Len?  First, I'm confused by the assertion that Nill grips won't fit the Hunter or Contour, because the Hunter should have the traditional Buckmark frame dimensions, and thus fit most aftermarket Buckmark grips (the Contour is a different story, because they usually have the URX frame).  I don't know when Len bought his Buckmark, and I'm not a Buckmark historian, so I suppose it's possible that his Hunter has a different grip, but all the Hunters I've seen have the standard/UFX frame.  Most aftermarket Buckmark grips should fit his Hunter, unless they are specifically made for the URX or UDX frame.

Where does that leave Mr. Berryhill when it comes to making grips for Buckmarks?  First, there are 3 different Buckmark grip frames he needs to accommodate if he wants to make grips for all Buckmarks.  None of them are plastic, though (I don't know where that came from).  Second, he does need to be careful with asking people to remove Buckmark grips for photos, though, because the grips hold some of the pieces of the Buckmark in place. Removing them is easy, putting them back on with all the pieces correctly positioned takes some care (Buckmark disassembly and reassembly is described in detail here (see page 11 of the dissecting tab to see how it should look before reinstalling the right grip)).  

You should be able to determine the grip type without taking the grips off the frame, though.  If the grips wrap around the front, it's probably a URX (although some old Buckmarks had wrap-around walnut grips for the UFX frame).  If the grips are separate left and right sides but the metal front strap has finger grooves, it's a UDX.  Otherwise it's either a URX with non-wrapping grips or the standard/UFX frame.  Which one it is can be determined with pictures of the backstrap from the side (the URX frame has a different curve at the bottom of the backstrap) and/or measurements of the bottom (the URX is shorter front-to-back). (Just because Browning likes to confuse everyone, the new "Challenge Rosewood" model says on their website that it has a UDX grip (because they blatantly cut-and-pasted the description from the "Plus UDX" model), but the photos clearly show a URX grip frame with separate left and right grip panels... so you have to be careful.)

As for Mr. Berryhill making grips for large hands... I can say that he really put in the effort to work with me to make grips for my 1911 to fit my hands.  We probably exchanged 30+ emails about various aspects of the grips, including pictures, measurements, his renderings, different width issues, thumb rest placement, and even accommodating my Smith & Alexander mag well.  He was very patient with answering my questions and accommodating my concerns.  I just received the grips in the mail last night, so I haven't had a chance to try them yet, but his effort to size the grip to fit my large hands was commendable.  I'm planning to shoot with them on Thursday, so I'll report back after that.

Dave

Last edited by bdas on 5/10/2016, 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : correcting wrap-around grip information for the UFX frame)

bdas

https://sites.google.com/site/davesguninfo/home

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 5/10/2016, 11:28 am

Dave, Many thanks for the lengthy and complicated explanation. I will admit I was surprised when I got the response that Nills would not fit. I thought this grip (just like you explained) is the oldest one out there. I just purchased the Hunter. I finally figured out what to do with the S&W 22 Victory that I recently purchased. I traded the thing un-fired for the Hunter. In my ignorance I thought target grips for something that has been around as long as the Buckmark would be easy to find. I will be careful taking the left side grip off and taking a picture.

Len

Len,

Nill has informed us in the past that their grips do not fit the Contour or Hunter models.

MacTec Sales
Products For The Shooting Sports Enthusiast
Factory Authorized Dealer for Karl Nill Grips

------ Original Message ------

From: [url=wlmailhtml:%7B1CBAE4A6-3DE3-4C2F-9D23-5FBED3E9119C%7Dmid://00000006/!x-usc:mailto:sablefish@peak.org]sablefish@peak.org[/url]

To: [url=wlmailhtml:%7B1CBAE4A6-3DE3-4C2F-9D23-5FBED3E9119C%7Dmid://00000006/!x-usc:mailto:mactec.sales@gmail.com]mactec.sales@gmail.com[/url]

Sent: 5/8/2016 1:00:20 PM

Subject: MACTEC Inquiry BN011XL

Hi, I am interested in a set of grips for my Browning Buckmark “ Hunter” . I just want to be sure they fit before I order. The hunter has standard wood grips.

Len VanCurler
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 5/10/2016, 11:58 am

Some pics.

LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC on 5/11/2016, 6:59 am

Len,

Thanks for the pictures.  Yes, I'd be happy to make a custom 3d-printed target grip to fit your Buckmark and your hand.  Take look at the instructions on my website (PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com) for details on measuring and let me know if you have any questions.

Andrew

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas on 5/11/2016, 10:36 am

OldMaster66 wrote:Some pics.

That's a standard / UFX grip frame.  You can tell by the curvature of the backstrap.  See how it's 90% straight, and then curves in at the bottom... that's a standard / UFX frame.  The URX grip frame is about 70% straight, and then has a much gentler curve inward for the last 30%.  The UDX grip frame has an arc along the entire backstrap (and has the finger grooves cut into the metal on the front strap).

If you look at the new models list on Browning's website (http://www.browning.com/products/firearms/pistols/buck-mark-pistols/current-production.html) you can compare the curvatures of the backstraps of different models to see what I mean.

Another way to tell a URX grip frame from a UFX grip frame if the front strap is exposed, is that the URX grip frame has a little "toe" that sticks out at the bottom of the front strap.  You can see this on the "Challenge Rosewood" model in the current production list.  You can't see it on any of the other URX models because they have grips that wrap around the front and hide it.  But if you've take the grips off, or have a URX model without wrap-around grips, it's clear to see.

bdas

https://sites.google.com/site/davesguninfo/home

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC on 5/11/2016, 1:25 pm

Thanks!  I can build grips for all of these, I just needed a lesson in what's what.

Andrew

PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com

Precision Grips for All Hands and Most Guns

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo on 5/12/2016, 10:32 am

OK; Mr Berryhill my free advice for what it is worth. 

Step 1) I think the Wood grain looks much better and I would focus on that material. 

Step 2) Find 1 or 2 masters with a good reputation reach out to them and send them a free pair for evaluation. Dave Lange and Ron Stienbrescher come to mind as Master who shoot ergo grips, some do not believe in them. 

Step 3) adopt changes if practical and get an endorsement.

Step 4) Go to Perry and show them, Advertise on this website and maybe in American Rifleman. 

The value seems good and if they are customizable you will be busy.
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC on 5/12/2016, 2:58 pm

Rich,

Thank you to you (and everyone  else here) who has been so generous offering their advice and support as I've gotten Precision Target Pistol Grips going over the past couple of months.  I'm pleased to report that what started as nothing more than a way to help the college team I coach improve their equipment is evolving into a healthy small business.

As for your points above, I agree that the wood composite material is a superior choice.  However the PLA offers clients a less expensive alternative as well as some aesthetic choices the wood does not.

I don't think I'm quite ready to go looking for endorsements, but as each grip is made one at a time, each one is better than the last as the designs continue to evolve.  I hope to spend a few days during pistol week on Commercial Row.  If I'm able to make that work, I'll announce it here first!

All best,

Andrew

Andrew Berryhill
PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com

Precision Grips for All Hands and Most Guns

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on 5/12/2016, 3:56 pm

As a former international pistol shooter I think I qualify to make the following statement. 
I battled for years to shoot good with stock orthopedic grips. I then tried fitting them. Not much better results. I was shooting well enough to make national development team but just missing out on really good scores. I went to Switzerland and while I was there had Cesar Morini make me 3 grips; free, air, std. When I shot my first matches back in the states I shot a personal best with each pistol! Just because its orthopedic doesn't make it right. So I guess what I'm saying is you should find a shooter with knowledge of what really makes an orthopedic grip right/correct. 99% of them are wrong. Close doesn't make it right either. That's why darn near 100% of all your great 1911 shooters use slab grips on the 1911. Doc Young is only shooter I'm aware of to shoot well with orthopedic grips on 1911, but Morini hand made those to fit him personally.
You want to earn shooters business you have to really set yourself apart from the rest. Look st all the used grips for sale regularly on this site. Everybody searching for the right grip........it's not easily out there.
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by javaduke on 5/12/2016, 4:46 pm

BerryhillAC wrote:
I don't think I'm quite ready to go looking for endorsements, but as each grip is made one at a time, each one is better than the last as the designs continue to evolve.  I hope to spend a few days during pistol week on Commercial Row.  If I'm able to make that work, I'll announce it here first!

Mr. Berryhill, I'm looking forward to meeting you at Perry, I'm desperately in need of a new grip for my Morini 162 air pistol and a right grips for my 1911s.

javaduke

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum