bob day conversion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

bob day conversion

Post by jglenn21 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:38 am

haven't seen one of these in a while

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Day-Arms-30x-MODEL-1911-Target-22lr-Conversion-Kit-for-Colt-1911-Government-/182105659655?hash=item2a6657d907:g:yZoAAOSwubRXHDcE

jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Re: bob day conversion

Post by Axehandle on Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:20 pm

From the "S" cut in the slide looks like one that was built from a Colt Ace conversion.   I remember reading that the early Karts were built that way.   I owned a two digit serial number one that was not.   Think I saw one built from an Ace at Five Flags in the mid 80s.   We whine about the cost of magazines these days.  Extra magazines for these beasts were $50  35 years ago.

Axehandle

Back to top Go down

Post by Colt711 on Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:32 pm

Kart likely would have had trouble getting the no. of "Aces' needed, causing him to look for other sources? How did he offer them? on customer's gun? Was he able to get Colt lowers or did he buy the guns?
I finally got one from a friend and it was a mismatch setup. A long battle to get it to shoot and by then I had 2 Marvels that weren't any trouble and were accurate. So it was Adios.

Ron Habegger

Colt711

Back to top Go down

Post by robert84010 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:11 am

I had a Day Conversion and they are not built from Ace conversions, they are all aluminum. Most of the time when you have an extraction problem with a Day you get a ding in the breech, they are very soft. You can see in the ad on the right side of that Day there is damage where the breech and the forward slide meet, from extraction problems. I have kart that I was told was built by Mr. Kart. It is on a Essex frame and the Ace conversions early models had an exposed extractor that is different than the later conversions, very easy to identify the differences. i'll try and post pics later on a separate post.

My Day conversion was the worst $200 I ever spent on anything shooting related, nothing but troubles. It was replaced for a B series Marvel that was perfectly reliable on the same lowers using any ammo except Federal 711.

robert84010

Back to top Go down

Post by Magnusbullets on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:58 pm

I believe this one shown is a new model.
If I remember , bob and his son started making steel ones again before Bob died.
Friend in Texas did some work on one for them in his machine shop. I think around time ceiner and marvel etc came around.
I did have two slides in my shop from old aluminum one from 50-60 time frame. Jack Elliot had two or three aluminum ones back in the day. He set national 22 record, I think with a Day. On the target before we added the x ring. 1959, I used to have pic of his record with him.

Magnusbullets

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Post by teg2658 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:51 pm

According to "US Military and Marksmanship Automatic Pistols" Kart built 128 22 cal conversions from Ace units, I thought Fred told me it was closer to 400 units. In the 1970s a complete Kart 22 could be bought on a series 70 frame, I owned one years ago. About a year ago I called Kart looking for a few parts and asked about Fred, was told he stops in to visit the shop and is in his 80s. I broke(creaked) two Kart slides and converted to the Dworak conversion. About 6 months ago I purchased a Nelson and am very happy with it.
Tom Ginovsky

I passed on a Day a few years back.

teg2658

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum