Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacement barrel for Ruger Mark II

+3
AllAces
Jon Eulette
left7hand
7 posters

Go down

Replacement barrel for Ruger Mark II Empty Replacement barrel for Ruger Mark II

Post by left7hand 5/19/2016, 5:17 pm

I have a Ruger 10" barrel target Mark II.  It has a trigger job by Skip Fletcher.  I would like to replace the barrel with one that is more suitable for Bullseye.  I am thinking a 5.5".  Please make recommendations on what I should choose.
Tom

left7hand

Back to top Go down

Replacement barrel for Ruger Mark II Empty Re: Replacement barrel for Ruger Mark II

Post by Jon Eulette 5/19/2016, 5:48 pm

The barrels threads on. I think Clark might still make one. A lathe is needed to cut the shoulder of the barrel to time it to the receiver. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Replacement barrel for Ruger Mark II Empty Re: Replacement barrel for Ruger Mark II

Post by AllAces 5/19/2016, 7:27 pm

Call Clark Custom Guns. They usually have some take off barrels. A gunsmith will have to fit the barrel.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 5/19/2016, 7:45 pm

One problem with take off barrels is that typically it has to be threaded one more turn to index. So bolt sticks back one more turn....about .040"
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jerry Keefer 5/19/2016, 7:50 pm

left7hand wrote:I have a Ruger 10" barrel target Mark II.  It has a trigger job by Skip Fletcher.  I would like to replace the barrel with one that is more suitable for Bullseye.  I am thinking a 5.5".  Please make recommendations on what I should choose.
Tom
I have shortened  many.. Very simple.. Shorten and recrown..
I have made many Ruger replacement barrels from Shilen and Lilja 22 blanks.. Another simple job.. You must have the appropriate tooling to separate  the receiver from the barrel.. Some of those guns are unbelievably tight..  I use a 20 ton press and matching barrel sleeves, and a huge receiver wrench.. They can be incredibly tight. Pencil barrels... I cut off in the power hack saw, weld a square lug on the barrel stub to grip it, and turn it off..
A souped up Ruger MK II is a formidable target gun..
Jerry Keefer
Jerry Keefer

Back to top Go down

Post by left7hand 5/19/2016, 8:16 pm

Thanks for the replies.  The original barrel is very accurate.  It shot many 40's and 60's in silhouette competition including winning the New York State championship and setting the state record.  This was years ago when I was much younger.  I think that shortening the barrel and recrowning is the way to go.  I just hope that it holds its accuracy level.
Tom

left7hand

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBrown 5/20/2016, 10:24 am

Why would a 5.5" barrel be more suitable for bullseye than a 10" barrel? (Please forgive my lack of knowledge!)

SteveBrown

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 5/20/2016, 10:36 am

Balances better and more forgiving to shoot. Longer barrels require much better follow through. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 5/20/2016, 1:41 pm

When I shot a Hi Standard, I preferred the 7 inch barrels over the 5.5's. I felt they balanced better, at least for me on that platform. I don't know that I would have wanted to shoot anything longer though.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 5/21/2016, 5:19 pm

left7hand wrote:Thanks for the replies.  The original barrel is very accurate.  It shot many 40's and 60's in silhouette competition including winning the New York State championship and setting the state record.  This was years ago when I was much younger.  I think that shortening the barrel and recrowning is the way to go.  I just hope that it holds its accuracy level.
Tom
I think you have a good idea in chopping and crowning it. If you are going to mount a scope, you might want to have the sides of the barrel cut down (bull barrel with flat sides), like on some Ruger Hunter models. I think the Ruger MK balances better with such lightening cuts and the pistol doesn't need the extra weight IMHO.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down