LEG MATCH LEGAL?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by Allen Barnett on 5/19/2016, 6:53 pm

It has been years since I have shot a "leg match".  The choice of firearm was the 1911 with 230 gr hardball or the M9.  Now with all of the changes I have what will be considered a stupid question by many.  Would a 1911 with a slide length rib without tuner be legal? I am sure the answer is probably no but thought I would ask.

Allen Barnett

Posts : 84
Join date : 2012-10-22
Location : Central Missouri

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by JIMPGOV on 5/20/2016, 5:54 am

NOPE, NO RIBS.

JIMPGOV

Posts : 217
Join date : 2011-09-27

Back to top Go down

As a last resort...

Post by Richard Ashmore on 5/20/2016, 7:59 am

Allen Barnett wrote:It has been years since I have shot a "leg match".  The choice of firearm was the 1911 with 230 gr hardball or the M9.  Now with all of the changes I have what will be considered a stupid question by many.  Would a 1911 with a slide length rib without tuner be legal? I am sure the answer is probably no but thought I would ask.

  When unsure, I check the rules lol!

http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf?ver=20160510

Rule 6.2.1 says "Pistols may be match conditioned, provided there are no external alterations or modifications that are not specifically approved in this Rule or Rule 6.2.2."

Rule 6.2.2 says- "6.2.2 Approved Service Pistol Modifications Any approved Service Pistol may have the following specific modifications or alterations:  Barrel may have an integral bushing or threaded sleeve that is made of the same material as the barrel, that has an external diameter of 0.700” or less and that is not longer than 0.800” when measured from the muzzle.  Extended or vented trigger.  Trigger shoes and trigger stops, internal or external.  Oversize or extended magazine release; magazine base pad.  Higher front sight to accommodate the height of an adjustable rear sight. Colored sights are permitted; the use of fiber optics or light enhancing inserts in sights are permitted.  A Picatinny rail below the barrel.  Slides may be milled immediately in front of and behind the rear sight dovetail slot to aid in securely mounting adjustable rear sights; a cut may be made in the rear of the slide to allow for rear sight clearance.  The fore strap, sides and rear of the grip may be checkered or stippled.  Grip tape or textured non-slip adhesive tape may be applied to the grip.  External finish may be blued, Parkerized or bright.  Gripping slots in the forward part of the slide.  Holes, filled or unfilled, that are drilled in the slide to facilitate optical sight mounting are permitted.  Internal modifications to improve functioning and accuracy (e.g., a special match barrel may be fitted). Modifications may not interfere with the proper functioning or safety devices of the firearm.  Hammers of any configuration (combat-style, rounded, spur, etc.).  Modified or beavertail grip safety.  Ambidextrous or extended safety. 34  Extended slide stop.  Accurail.  Full-length recoil guide."

To actually answer your question- no.
avatar
Richard Ashmore

Posts : 113
Join date : 2012-02-17

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by Guest on 7/23/2016, 3:01 pm

So from reading the rules, the Springfield RO is now an acceptable Service Pistol. Can anyone confirm this for sure? Thinking about buying a second one for a hardball platform.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by Guest on 7/23/2016, 3:04 pm

Also, are there now no ammunition restrictions? For example are bullseye shooters using the same loads they use in bullseye to shoot service pistol?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by JIMPGOV on 7/23/2016, 3:39 pm

Mcilfilm wrote:Also, are there now no ammunition restrictions? For example are bullseye shooters using the same loads they use in bullseye to shoot service pistol?
 NOT TRUE. LOOK BELOW. JACKETED AMMO FOR SERVICE PISTOL.
6.5.2 Pistol Ammunition

Service Pistol
. Service Pistol competitors may use any safe
ammunition that is loaded with metal-jacketed bullets. Non-jacketed,
wad-cutter or lead bullets may not be used.

.22 Rimfire Pistol
. Rimfire Pistol competitors may use only .22 cal.
rimfire long rifle ammunition with bullets weighing not more than 40
grains.

JIMPGOV

Posts : 217
Join date : 2011-09-27

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by Guest on 7/23/2016, 3:53 pm

Thanks for that. 
Still would like some confirmation on the RO. 
Not listed on the CMP list but seems to meet the criteria. 
Is anyone shooting one in CMP Service Pistol?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by james r chapman on 7/23/2016, 3:56 pm

Mcilfilm wrote:Also, are there now no ammunition restrictions? For example are bullseye shooters using the same loads they use in bullseye to shoot service pistol?
primarily 4.0 and 4.6 gr Bullseye and a 185 gr JHP bullet. Nosler, Zero, or Sierra.

but, a 9mm 1911 is NOT allowed regardless..
avatar
james r chapman

Posts : 1936
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 68
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by Chris Miceli on 7/23/2016, 3:57 pm

it is legal, look under accepted mods 6.2.2 and all the features of the RO are listed. I would change out the ILS internals for normal parts and do some trigger work and get out there.



https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 1400
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Haymarket, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by orpheoet on 7/23/2016, 4:09 pm

I shoot a Range Officer for EIC. Its good to go.
avatar
orpheoet

Posts : 545
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 49
Location : Lakewood, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by Guest on 7/23/2016, 4:35 pm

Thank you all. It's a new gun. San ILS. A trigger job and a few hundred rounds is all its getting before the next match. Thanks for the piece of mind.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by james r chapman on 7/23/2016, 7:12 pm

Christopher Miceli wrote:it is legal, look under accepted mods 6.2.2 and all the features of the RO are listed. I would change out the ILS internals for normal parts and do some trigger work and get out there.



https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf

not to be confused, any 1911 other than .45 is illegal for CMP EIC. see the list of qualified guns..

6.2.3 Approved U. S. Service Pistols and Commercial Equivalents
The following U. S. Government Service
Pistols or commercial versions of the
same type and caliber may be used in CMP-sanctioned Service Pistol
Matches, provided they comply with Rules 6.2.1 and 6.2.2.
• U. S. Government or Colt
M1911 Service Pistols
or commercial
versions of the same type (M1911)
and caliber. These pistols must be
chambered for the .45ACP cartridge a
nd have a barrel length not greater
than 5.100”.
avatar
james r chapman

Posts : 1936
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 68
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by Chris Miceli on 7/23/2016, 7:20 pm

james r chapman wrote:
Christopher Miceli wrote:it is legal, look under accepted mods 6.2.2 and all the features of the RO are listed. I would change out the ILS internals for normal parts and do some trigger work and get out there.



https://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/Rulebook.pdf

not to be confused, any 1911 other than .45 is illegal for CMP EIC. see the list of qualified guns..

6.2.3 Approved U. S. Service Pistols and Commercial Equivalents
The following U. S. Government Service
Pistols or commercial versions of the
same type and caliber may be used in CMP-sanctioned Service Pistol
Matches, provided they comply with Rules 6.2.1 and 6.2.2.
• U. S. Government or Colt
M1911 Service Pistols
or commercial
versions of the same type (M1911)
and caliber. These pistols must be
chambered for the .45ACP cartridge a
nd have a barrel length not greater
than 5.100”.
Thanks for clearing that up Jim.  Only 1911 authorized are 45acp
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 1400
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Haymarket, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by mpolans on 7/23/2016, 9:43 pm

Too bad only screw holes in the slide are allowed. Those with frame mounted optics appear to be SOL.

mpolans

Posts : 150
Join date : 2016-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by Chris Miceli on 7/23/2016, 9:49 pm

mpolans wrote:Too bad only screw holes in the slide are allowed. Those with frame mounted optics appear to be SOL.
Not sure anyone would catch that Smile the CMP trailer weight the trigger on a 1911 9mm and sticketrd it, he was going to shoot for the EIC. Until all the shooters told him to read the rules
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 1400
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Haymarket, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by dronning on 7/23/2016, 9:52 pm

mpolans wrote:Too bad only screw holes in the slide are allowed. Those with frame mounted optics appear to be SOL.

I doubt frame holes would not be allowed since they serve no function without the optic, but by omission you are correct, it should get fixed.

- Dave
avatar
dronning

Posts : 1307
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 63
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: LEG MATCH LEGAL?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum