Why do I keep scraping the coating off my bullets??

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Why do I keep scraping the coating off my bullets??

Post by Laminarman on Sun May 22, 2016 10:34 pm

I am using the .45 RCBS Carbide 3 die set for BE reloading.  I seat with the die provided but do not taper crimp with that, I use a Redding taper crimp die separately to .470.  I am using SNS cast and coated bullets and they shoot best with 3.9 WST out of my STI Trojan.  I'm still pretty new to this.  If I expand the case mouth too much the bullets drops in and are very loose (obviously) and the coatings seems to get scraped off.  If I flare it "just right" it is just fine and seats well and no coating comes off.  But about 60% or more of the time, the coating scrapes off and I'm left with a rim of lead colored crud above the case mouth before I taper crimp.  This has been there right along but now that I'm paying more attention I'm wondering why I can't eliminate this?  I think due to case length variability and bullet coating variability there are some that the coating gets compromised.  What I do now since I'm becoming anal is taking a razor and scraping that lead line off.  I hope this makes sense.  The bullets work well but getting ready to give up and go back to the drawing board and regular cast lead which doesn't do this.

Laminarman

Back to top Go down

Re: Why do I keep scraping the coating off my bullets??

Post by LenV on Sun May 22, 2016 10:42 pm

Good idea... Smile

" The bullets work well but getting ready to give up and go back to the drawing board and regular cast lead which doesn't do this."

Last edited by OldMaster66 on Mon May 23, 2016 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added quote)

LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Fire Escape on Mon May 23, 2016 8:40 am

It sounds as though your expander plug is enlarging the cases too much for them to hold the bullet (or they are not getting sized enough?). There should still be some neck tension between the case and bullet even if you flared the mouth out like a trombone (how much neck tension is subjective, too much and you will be sizing your bullets down). Measure the diameter of the smaller (non-flaring) portion of your expander and compare it to the bullet diameter to insure that it is slightly smaller. You may be able to get a smaller diameter expanding plug from RCBS or you may be able to stone down your current expander a bit. When the case 'neck' holds the bullet you should be able to flare the mouth just enough to stop the scraping. This presumes that the bullets themselves are not undersized.

Bruce

Fire Escape

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 on Mon May 23, 2016 10:02 am

check into the Lyman M die

jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR on Mon May 23, 2016 11:19 am

sounds like the coating is not very good, ive seen many pics of fired powder coated bullets that don't loose coating even from being fired thru a riffled barrel.

DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Virgil Kane on Mon May 23, 2016 11:40 am

DavidR wrote:sounds like the coating is not very good, ive seen many pics of fired powder coated bullets that don't loose coating even from being fired thru a riffled barrel.

+1

If it can't hold up to reloading what's a trip down the barrel under a few thousand PSI going to do to the coating?  Not all powder coatings or applying techniques are equal.

I've had the pleasure of trying to scrub out some under cooked powder coating from my barrel. The powder coating baked into the barrel  and was a bear to get out.

Virgil

Virgil Kane

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunsnjeeps on Mon May 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Are you seating and crimping at the same time?  When you do you are pushing the bullet down as you crimp the sides in to it.

Gunsnjeeps

Back to top Go down

Post by Laminarman on Mon May 23, 2016 9:28 pm

Gunsnjeeps wrote:Are you seating and crimping at the same time?  When you do you are pushing the bullet down as you crimp the sides in to it.

Thanks for the responses. No, I'm seating with the seating die then crimping separately with the Redding taper crimp die.  I flare J U S T enough to start the bullet and there's good neck tension holding it, but sometimes it just scrapes the coating off.  Other times it doesn't.  I don't know if posting photos will help.  If I flare more with the RCBS die it bells out but then doesn't hold the bullet well.  I don't think that's adjustable at all, I just screw the die insert up or down to set the amount of flaring/opening I want.  The SNS cast bullets are polymer coated and have a lot of successful users but this is getting tedious.

Laminarman

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 on Wed May 25, 2016 8:02 pm

think about why you are shaving the edge of the bullets..

they are not entering the case square and are angled..

your seating stem is not aligning the bullet squarely to the case..

for the SWC cast bullets I like the M style belling die that allows you to put the bullet partially into the case and it's align correctly. the die's stem has two steps to it. I also use a seating stem that hits only the rim of the bullets not the round top. much better alignment.. I also have seen folks make a custom seating stem by using glass bedding to form the stem to the exact bullet you are using.

also be sure your current seating die is not rolling the case up too much (closing the mouth) Allow the taper crimp to do all of that.

jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs on Sun May 29, 2016 12:57 pm

I've seen dubious results with sns, blue bullets, and several others out there selling coated bullets. Thier coatings are not created or applied equally. I've hesrd numerous complaints thst blue bullets turn people's fingers blue while reloading, not good. If I wanted dirty fingers and dies during reloading I'd stay with cast lubed bullets.

I cast and powder coat using the "shake and bake" or "asbb" method and get excellent results. I've had short casings go through with no flare and they never shave off coating/lead.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:20 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum