Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Springfield XD for outdoor bullseye???

+17
Ghillieman
james r chapman
LenV
killswitch
C.Perkins
Schaumannk
clark2245
Cd627
Chris Miceli
dstates
john bickar
SteveT
bdas
DeweyHales
rreid
dronning
mtlucas0311
21 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Springfield XD for outdoor bullseye??? - Page 2 Empty Springfield XD for outdoor bullseye???

Post by mtlucas0311 Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

I'm sure many of you received the latest CMP shooters news, did anyone see the ad about Springfield giving away up to 20 pistols for competitors firing in the Presidents match?

...All you have to do do be in the drawing is make the Presidents hundred using an XD or XDM...

"Springfield Armory will potentially donate up to 20 new Springfield XD(M)® 5.25" pistols during the President's Pistol Match on July 17, to competitors who place in the Top 100 (President's 100) and fire the 20 highest scores using a Springfield XD® or XD(M)® during the match. Competitors MUST have competed with a Springfield XD® or XD(M)® in order to receive an XD(M) 5.25"."

Does anyone think they could shoot a good enough score with a polymer, striker fired gun to make the list? It seems like a tall order, but I guess for guys who've made the list a bunch of times it might be incentive enough to give it a shot.

mtlucas0311

Back to top Go down

Springfield XD for outdoor bullseye??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Springfield XD for outdoor bullseye???

Post by LenV Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:01 pm

Why go with a 9mm or a .45 when the clear choice is the 40 cal? The frame size is the same as the 9mm and the 40 leaves bigger holes. There are some that would argue that the 40 has a lot of recoil and you might as well shoot the 45. That is because they probably have never fired the 40 with 135gr Nosler bullets with a light load of BE (5.7gr) or 231 (6.1gr). Very mild recoil and very accurate. This is all a personal opinion of course but I think the 40 should be considered. I might be leaning that direction because I switched my match 40 into a 38 super and now I have several thousand rounds of 40 loaded up that I would love to find a neat use for.

Len
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Springfield XD for outdoor bullseye??? - Page 2 Empty Re: Springfield XD for outdoor bullseye???

Post by Schaumannk Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:11 pm

OldMaster66 wrote:Why go with a 9mm or a .45 when the clear choice is the 40 cal? The frame size is the same as the 9mm and the 40 leaves bigger holes. There are some that would argue that the 40 has a lot of recoil and you might as well shoot the 45. That is because they probably have never fired the 40 with 135gr Nosler bullets with a light load of BE (5.7gr) or 231 (6.1gr). Very mild recoil and very accurate. This is all a personal opinion of course but I think the 40 should be considered. I might be leaning that direction because I switched my match 40 into a 38 super and now I have several thousand rounds of 40 loaded up that I would love to find a neat use for.

Len
A few people I know with the Springfield XD in .40 have had function problems.  Maybe that has been resolved, but the fear of a double Alabi keeps me with a familiar gun, in a caliber I am already experienced reloading for.

Schaumannk

Back to top Go down

Post by DeweyHales Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:52 pm

If you want to go Service Pistol, you need a 100% reliable gun. There are no longer alibis if I'm reading correctly. 

Note:  service rifle no longer has alibis. It looks like service pistol still allows them. 

A 45 XD is good for cf, 45, EIC, P100, and even Military & Police if you have good fixed sights.
DeweyHales
DeweyHales

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:10 pm

DeweyHales wrote:If you want to go Service Pistol, you need a 100% reliable gun. There are no longer alibis if I'm reading correctly. 

A 45 XD is good for cf, 45, EIC, P100, and even Military & Police if you have good fixed sights.

I thought you are allowed 1 Alibi

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:38 pm

Dewey, I see you corrected your post while I was putting this together.

CMP COMPETITION RULES FOR SERVICE RIFLE AND PISTOL - published on 5/10/2016 

Under pistols

Malfunction.  A malfunction is the failure of the pistol or ammunition to function properly.  A competitor may be given a refire if the malfunction is not his/her fault. If the malfunction is the fault of the competitor, no alibi or refire is allowed. 

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:52 pm

I cannot find anything in the rule books today that explains it.

From what I know and very well am mistaken is that you are allowed an alibi per match.

A 900 would be 1 for slow fire, 1 for NMC, 1 for TF and 1 for RF.

So in my belief the NTI is a NMC so you only get 1 alibi.

The P100 is a modified NMC and would also be only 1 alibi.

Note; this is not from a rule book but is my understanding whether right or misguided Smile

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:36 pm

That's the way I read it Clarende

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:03 pm

I don't recall a SF alibi.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:15 pm

james r chapman wrote:I don't recall a SF alibi.
A few years ago I witnessed one and do not remember all of the details but it was from a very good shooter that takes up most of the 10 minutes and had an alibi.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ghillieman Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:18 am

I had a slow fire alibi during the NRA team matches at Perry last year.
Case ruptured in my .32.
It was a little unnerving being the only one on the line and only getting 3 minutes to shoot 7 shots.
Ghillieman
Ghillieman

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:42 am

Ahh,so your limited by what's left in your time?
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:29 am

james r chapman wrote:Ahh,so your limited by what's left in your time?

I was on the line when his gun ruptured. The impression I got was you were allowed three extra minutes after the ten had expired. He ended up switching guns and by the time everything was resolved, of course the ten minutes were over. I believe the only "alibi" in slow is a gun malfunction such as what he experienced. Any normal alibi must be resolved by the shooter during the ten minutes.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:18 pm

If I'd known about the Springfield promotion earlier, I would have bought an XDM to give it a shot.  But at this point I'm already committed to shooting a Glock 34 (9mm, 5" barrel).

My first hardball gun was a Springfield 1911, back in the days of factory ammo and no one outside the military shooting an M9.  I made Distinguished with that pistol and placed in the President's 100 a few times in the following years.  After several years of seeing the top shooters dominate the CMP matches with the Beretta I got the itch to try one myself.  

Last year, I finally found an accurized M9 that fit my budget.  I spent the spring testing different loads and getting a feel for the trigger.  Although I felt optimistic going into Perry, I had some mechanical issues during practice and when the armorer fixed them by backing out the overtravel adjustment for the trigger, my trigger control suffered and I shot poorly.  

The next month, when it was time for the Ohio state championship, I set the Beretta aside and decided to go with the Glock.  This was an impulsive, last-minute decision so I didn't have a chance to test reloads at 50 yards.  I just took a box of Nosler 115 grain JHP match ammo for slow fire to see what would happen. 

I wound up shooting a personal best for hardball slow fire: a 93-3X.  The sustained fire didn't go nearly as well as I took too much time trying to find the reset point for the trigger and I jerked a miss at 8:00 in rapid fire.  Still, the total score was a 269-something and this year I expect to do much better on the short line.  

By the way, the CZ-P09 is another polymer pistol that shoots well enough to get leg points, although at last check it wasn't on the CMP's list of approved service pistols.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:26 pm

I believe glock is giving away a few pistols this year

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Sun Jul 10, 2016 10:36 pm

If anyone wants to try the President's Hundred this year with an XDM 5.25" .45acp, you are welcome to borrow mine. It already has the Powder River Valley trigger on it. If anyone from this forum would like to use it, I will toss it in the box and bring it to Perry (I will be shooting my 1911).

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:19 pm

Is the CMP going to announce who won an XDM?  I've looked at the online results from the President's 100 and I don't see anything.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:25 pm

So adam(Amu) I can't spell his last name, motorcycle Dan, someone else, and I saw zurek shoot one and he placed high but they didn't call his name.  Springfield said they will be supporting CMP again next year

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:18 pm

I'm thinking the Cut-Off for the 100 was 351, XDM will work, Adam shot the Pres. 100 with the XDM and came in 9th. He did win the XDM and   2 others were also given. So a total of 3 were awarded.
 More people are shooting Bullseye than any other type, look at the matches, not hard to find a match in any state. Since the AMU is shooting Action too they can't find many matches to attend! Yet have no problem finding Bullseye matches!

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:25 pm

I need to find a XDM to borrow for next year.  I hate to buy one just to win another Smile

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Orpanaut Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:22 am

Froneck wrote:I'm thinking the Cut-Off for the 100 was 351, XDM will work, Adam shot the Pres. 100 with the XDM and came in 9th. He did win the XDM and   2 others were also given. So a total of 3 were awarded.
 More people are shooting Bullseye than any other type, look at the matches, not hard to find a match in any state. Since the AMU is shooting Action too they can't find many matches to attend! Yet have no problem finding Bullseye matches!
Shooting 380-10X with any pistol is impressive; doing it with an XDM is amazing.  That's only six points down from his 2015 score, which I'd guess was shot with an accurized Beretta.  Does anyone know how much gunsmithing, if any, was done to SFC Sokolowski's pistol?  

And did anyone win a Glock?  From the way the prize was announced, it wasn't clear if Glock would be giving a pistol to the top shooter who made the President's 100 with one of their guns, or if they'd just give it to the top competitor who used a Glock even if he or she didn't make the cut.

Orpanaut

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:45 am

Someone did win a glock but I think it was top LE

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:26 pm

Being my son is Adam Sokolowski I know quite a bit about his XDM. His private XDM was purchased from the custom shop. The other is AMU issue but not much was done to it. Barrel was welded and fitted and trigger job done but I understand it's easy to do.
 Last year all of the AMU shooters were shooting the Beretta. The 2 times he won the NTI it was done with the Betetta. This year he won 3 XD's at Perry.
 I'm told by shooters at the club that drop in barrel, trigger and sights are available that will make the gun shoot as good as the one Adam is shooting.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:52 pm

Froneck wrote:Being my son is Adam Sokolowski I know quite a bit about his XDM. His private XDM was purchased from the custom shop. The other is AMU issue but not much was done to it. Barrel was welded and fitted and trigger job done but I understand it's easy to do.
 Last year all of the AMU shooters were shooting the Beretta. The 2 times he won the NTI it was done with the Betetta. This year he won 3 XD's at Perry.
 I'm told by shooters at the club that drop in barrel, trigger and sights are available that will make the gun shoot as good as the one Adam is shooting.
I imagine he does well with the 1911 ball gun as well

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:13 am

Yes Adam does well with the 1911, he got distinguished points when he was a Junior with the 1911 shooting 230gr ball ammo. Needed only a few more when he joined the Army. Being a 2650 shooter with left and right hand he does well with just about any gun.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:30 pm

Frank,
Do you spend much time with Mr. Franks (the 2 brother's on the service pistol team's dad). I met him last year at a regional, we talked a lot about what he did to train his sons to be such excellent competitors. I would be interested in your thoughts on the subject as well. Learning the proper fundamentals as a young shooter goes such a long way... hard to start later in life!

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next