Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An oil thread

+24
Froneck
Jon Eulette
Skid
10sandxs
Al
AllAces
SSgtG
Aprilian
Sa-tevp
BaldingEagle
Allen Barnett
LenV
Jack H
gweber
igolfat8
Dr.Don
DavidR
john bickar
SW-52
james r chapman
BE Mike
dronning
jglenn21
jmdavis
28 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

An oil thread - Page 4 Empty An oil thread

Post by jmdavis 6/28/2016, 7:19 am

First topic message reminder :

I never expected to be starting an oil thread, here or anywhere else. But I have a problem. 

My 45's have been lubed exclusively with Dillon Snake Oil for years. I ran out a couple of weeks ago and when I was looking to order more this morning, I discovered that it is no longer listed by Dillon. So...

I need a replacement for barrel, slide rail and general use on the 45. What are people using? Last week I tried two different things with vastly different results. 

The night before the State match, I used some Tetraglide on the slide rails and bushing, that was the worst mistake I had ever made. I had two double alibis during the centerfire match in addition to problems in every stage. During the break between CF and 45, I took the gun apart, cleaned the grease using kroil as a solvent and then re-oiled everything with hoppes oil out of the needle tube. It worked fine for the rest of the match. 

So I am looking for suggestions to use specifically for my 1911 bullseye guns. What say ye all?

Mike
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

An oil thread - Page 4 Empty Re: An oil thread

Post by r_zerr 8/18/2016, 11:35 pm

I have been using the Super Lube listed on this chart for around 20 years and have had no reason to steer away from it until reading about the TW-25.  (Jerry, KC, etc)

I purchased a small tube of this and have been very impressed.  Mostly overkill, I suppose, but I am even more impressed with the TW-25 than Super Lube, which has never failed....the TW-25 is less viscous on my rifle bolt (smoother to operate), and it has stayed there through ugly conditions.

-Ron

r_zerr

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 8/19/2016, 7:25 am

Sa-tevp wrote:When I copy and paste to Excel I see this information (using TW25 for example):

Date - 8/2/2016
Manufacturer - Mil Com
Product Description - TW-25
Common Name / Use - Grease
Category - Grease
Seconds Before Audible Failure - 60+
       - Blank

What are the last two columns in your data?
send an email to me and I will be glad to send you the excel file, which would be easier to view than within this thread. My email address is my forum user name followed by @yahoo.com

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 8/19/2016, 4:51 pm

Just to put this testing in perspective here are a few images of the Falex machine used in this testing:
An oil thread - Page 4 412727489

My hand is adding weights to the test lever. Each thin disc is the equivalent of 10 lbs of force applied to the test area. This photo shows all of the test weight that we have or the equivalent of 180 lbs of force.
An oil thread - Page 4 412727492

My finger is pointing to the area where the testing takes place. The round circular object is the spinning bearing race. Just above that is the fixed roller bearing that is leveraged downward onto the spinning race. A drop of test oil is placed between these two surfaces.
An oil thread - Page 4 412727495

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by rebs 8/20/2016, 12:17 pm

I have been using Quantum Hot Sauce grease and oil for my guns for quite a long time. It is made for fishing equipment but works great on guns. It will with stand high temperatures as well.

rebs

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 8/25/2016, 7:12 am

I've updated the data on page 3 with two new oils which I tested today; MilCom TW25B (oil) and WeaponShield. To be honest I was disappointed with the results of the TW25B oil as I had high expectations since MilCom's grease tested so well. The oil only held a 50 lb load.

I was surprised by WeaponShield test results though. I had seen WS tested on YouTube where the company's owner / founder / inventor touted WS and being the undisputed winner against all other oils that [he] tested. When I see these kinds of info-mercials I am always leery and take the results with a grain of sand since the person performing the tests [could] influence the outcome. I don't want to sound like a shill for the WS product but the product has the best lubricity results of any oil or grease that I've tested to date.

I've added three +++ signs to the end of the 180 load measurement. Since I only have the equivalent of 180 pounds of load to apply to the end of the Falex test lever I always add a bit of additional load that I have not disclosed to you readers. I take my index finger and gradually add more weight or load to the stack of test weights. ALL of the other oils and greases have failed at this point with one exception. I was able to push down as hard as I could, with one finger on the WeaponShield and could not get it to fail. I also had one of my employees put his index finger to work and he couldn't get it to fail either. To say the least, I am impressed... so far.

I'm not ready to crown it the winner though as we still have to put it through the corrosion test. If you remember, FP-10 finished with similar load numbers but failed miserably when subjected to the outdoor elements. I will report back in a few weeks or (hopefully) months and let you know how the WeapsonShield oil holds up outdoors.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 8/25/2016, 10:17 am

both FP-10 and weapons shield were designed/invented by George Fennell who currently owns weapon shield.. he has been around lubes for a long time... he designed weapons shied to be an improved FP-10

if you check his MSDS you'll see that it is comprised of Equal parts of base oil, ep additive, anti scuff/ lubricity additive and rust preventative..

he's pretty outspoken too. if you Google his name and Fireclean you'll get  an ear full..

Last edited by jglenn21 on 8/25/2016, 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 8/25/2016, 12:34 pm

WOW... Looks like George got into some hot vegetable oil. I wonder what happened with the lawsuit?  I can't view most of the websites since they are blocked by my employers firewall.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 8/25/2016, 3:40 pm

haven't heard anything on the lawsuits but it frankly all sounded like desperation on the Fireclean side.

I will say it's very unusual to see any oil with that much EP and Lubricity %

frankly most of the time you 'd be amazed at the relative small % of additive in oils

I worked with several good friends to develop racing oils for different motorsports and the average amount of additive in a gallon of base stock was.... one ounce.. I did find some advantage to doubling the additive package and personally ran that in all my engines verses the standard oil producted..  a very slight HP increase.

weapon shield is good stuff  a very small amount is needed typically. When he first started weapons shield he would sent out a 1 oc.  sample in a needle injector..
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 8/25/2016, 4:09 pm

igolfat8 wrote:WOW... Looks like George got into some hot vegetable oil. I wonder what happened with the lawsuit?  I can't view most of the websites since they are blocked by my employers firewall.

The suit against George was not dismissed, and now is in the next phase.  The suit against the 2 bloggers who decided, based on the "Crisco" rumors, to perform and publish the results of a infrared spectroscopy test to identify the product’s chemical makeup, was dismissed, without prejudice, which means it can be refiled.  

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 8/28/2016, 12:30 pm

I am here to report that Hornady 1 shot seems of have solved my brass sticking problem (will know more in a week). When my Grandmother clock struck 31 times I knew I had a problem. Brass gears, sticking parts, hmmm. Gave it one shot then let it dry for a half hour. Works great. Now to take it to the range and see how it groups. Very Happy
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4