Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bullseye Powder

5 posters

Go down

Bullseye Powder Empty Bullseye Powder

Post by Paper-Puncher Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:49 pm

Is there any difference from the Hercules Bullseye to the Alliant Bullsye.....I seem to have read somewhere there is...The BE powder I got from my neighbor was of the Hercules label....and the Powder I got today is of course the Alliant label...I seem to remeber reading the Alliant label wasnt as "hot" as compared to the Hercules label.

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Bullseye Powder Empty Re: Bullseye Powder

Post by jakuda Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:17 pm

You'll hear from the erm, "older" shooters that 3.5 grains of Bullseye was the magic load for a long time. Perhaps the newer BE powder is less hot, because most of the current recommended loads range from 3.8-4.0 grains BE for 185 or 200gn LSWC bullets.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:47 pm

Ok Thx, I planed on 3.8 -4.0 thats was I was shooting with the Hercules label stuff . I just didnt realize he gave me the Hercules label powder until I spoke with him this morning.....I sure hope the new stuff shoots as well as the old... My gun really liked the old stuff...

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by dan allen Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:11 pm

I believe what you will find is that 3.5 gr was the magic load when open sights was the standard set up. Now that many shooters are using slide mounted dots it takes a little extra to reliably cycle the action.

dan allen

Back to top Go down

Post by jakuda Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:23 am

These days with Wolff making springs of all spring ratings that is no longer a valid explanation.

jakuda

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:07 am

Older BE was said to be a little stronger, but that was stuff made in the 70's and before, look on your container for the date, they are all marked. If its that old then try reducing the load by a tenth and see how it does.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:23 pm

Shot the new bullseye powder today...couldnt tell any difference other than it seemed to be much less smokey .... 200gr Penn Bullet/ 3.8 BE with federal match larger pistol primers .I also used the 11# variable rate spring gun functioned nicely and I'm starting to hold 9 ring 5 shot groups on the 25yd SF target....still want to try some 185's ......Its nice to have 25yds indoors

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:13 am

I think that this is one of those old wives...er, shooters tales. The Hercules company was bought out by mostly employees when it became Alliant. Nothing else changed. Bullseye is one of the oldest and most popular powders ever. I understand that Alliant keeps a sample of the original powder on hand for testing. I loaded a lot of Bullseye when it was Hercules and much more since it became Alliant. I think we can put this false rumor to bed with the one that says Winchester primers with nickel plated cups are superior to the ones that are just brass.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down