Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new reloader for pistol

+5
weber1b
Regular_Guy
Wobbley
DavidR
Pat Capobianco
9 posters

Go down

new reloader for pistol Empty new reloader for pistol

Post by Pat Capobianco 8/11/2016, 10:22 am

I'm a new reloader for pistol ammo 380,9mm,45acp. I recently purchased a Lee loadmaster press which really pumps them out so I have to be careful and take my time. Back in the day I had a single stage press and loaded my 6.5 jdj for my custom Contender which I still have but haven't shot in years since I more into my handguns. My question is that I'm not getting quite as good accuracy from my reloads as I was getting with factory loads, I thought it would be the other way around. I tried various powders and charges such as CFE,power pistol and titeqroup. Mostly using 124gr plated bullets for the 9mm just started with the 45 but haven't tested them yet. I'm I doing something wrong or just need more experimentation?
Pat Capobianco
Pat Capobianco

Back to top Go down

new reloader for pistol Empty Re: new reloader for pistol

Post by DavidR 8/11/2016, 10:35 am

Welcome to the forum! IMO, First mistake is using plated bullets they have been proven to suck for accuracy, a good lead bullet will out shoot them all day long. Now if you want a accurate 9mm buy quality full metal jacket and the power pistol powder is great, (google david sams 9mm load) for the 45 a 185 or 200 gr lead semi wadcutter is the ticket. check here for quality accurate loads used by top shooters. read high master Terry Labbe's loads near the bottom of the page for top accuracy 45 using tight group powder.
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t1209-pet-loads-of-top-shooters-loads-from-the-past
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/11/2016, 10:52 am

+1 on abandoning plated bullets.  They are not worth bothering with.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Regular_Guy 8/11/2016, 1:19 pm

If you don't want to shoot uncoated lead, a couple guys have had success with the coated lead bullets. I have not shot them in my bullseye guns yet, but they have shot well in a 9mm carbine I have.
Regular_Guy
Regular_Guy

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 8/11/2016, 1:54 pm

Regular_Guy wrote:If you don't want to shoot uncoated lead, a couple guys have had success with the coated lead bullets. I have not shot them in my bullseye guns yet, but they have shot well in a 9mm carbine I have.
I have found them to be as accurate as the regular lead I was shooting and now I don't have to clean wax off my dies.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 8/11/2016, 2:41 pm

weber1b wrote:
Regular_Guy wrote:If you don't want to shoot uncoated lead, a couple guys have had success with the coated lead bullets. I have not shot them in my bullseye guns yet, but they have shot well in a 9mm carbine I have.
I have found them to be as accurate as the regular lead I was shooting and now I don't have to clean wax off my dies.
+1

I only shoot lead or powed coated lead in my pistols... plated suck. Montana gold makes some good 9mm jacketed bullets.

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat Capobianco 8/11/2016, 2:47 pm

DavidR wrote:Welcome to the forum! IMO, First mistake is using plated bullets they have been proven to suck for accuracy, a good lead bullet will out shoot them all day long. Now if you want a accurate 9mm buy quality full metal jacket and the power pistol powder is great, (google david sams 9mm load) for the 45 a 185 or 200 gr lead semi wadcutter is the ticket. check here for quality accurate loads used by top shooters. read high master Terry Labbe's loads near the bottom of the page for top accuracy 45 using tight group powder.
https://www.bullseyeforum.net/t1209-pet-loads-of-top-shooters-loads-from-the-past

How much I know, I would of thought plated was better than lead. I have 500 plated bullets to get rid of.
Pat Capobianco
Pat Capobianco

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 8/11/2016, 5:13 pm

IDPA  and other practical shooting types don't care.  They'll take them if you give them a good price.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 8/11/2016, 5:51 pm

good for plinking at steel plates too.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 8/11/2016, 6:33 pm

Guys at the club swear by their 2" groups at 7 yds.

( I say nothing)
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H 8/11/2016, 8:16 pm

Plated.  Learn what to expect at 25 yards.  Then judge the shots by YOUR PERFORMANCE at the gun and call it quality trigger time.  But keep your expectations in line.
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 8/11/2016, 10:54 pm

james r chapman wrote:Guys at the club swear by their 2" groups at 7 yds.

( I say nothing)
That is hilarious!! Laughing Laughing

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 8/12/2016, 9:27 am

Welcome Pat.   In my very limited experience with 9mm reloading, 115 JHP's have far better accuracy in my 1911 and 986 with any load configuration and geometry I've tried at 25 yds.  I've shot plated, JRN, coated lead, 115 to 147 grn. in my early evaluations.   The 147 JRN is a close 2nd.  I think you will find the search fun and gratifying providing you only change 1 variable at a time when running range evaluations.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Pat Capobianco 8/17/2016, 7:12 am

I also forgot to mention that when checking the oal that it varies up to .005-.008 is this common? I'm loading them on a Lee Loadmaster.
Pat Capobianco
Pat Capobianco

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigtrout 8/17/2016, 9:21 am

Pat Capobianco wrote:I also forgot to mention that when checking the oal that it varies up to .005-.008 is this common? I'm loading them on a Lee Loadmaster.
I get around .003" variation when using the same headstamp range brass on my RCBS single stage.  I do get a .005 variation sometimes when changing brass brands possibly due to a case neck tension change.  Early on I sometimes got as much as .007" variation on the same brand brass but it mysteriously disappeared and I never got to the root cause.  Some members told me it would not have a significant impact on POI.  Maybe one of the members has RR tested slight changes in COL but I have not seen the data.
Bigtrout
Bigtrout

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down