Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Recoil Springs and.....

5 posters

Go down

Recoil Springs and..... Empty Recoil Springs and.....

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:56 pm

Hammer Follow! I noticed while trying out a variety of recoil springs that a heavy or heavier recoil spring could cause the hammer to fall and stop at half cock when not chambering a round. With lighter recoil springs this problem went away. 

I've also heard and had discussions on tweaking the disconnector or sear spring. This raises the trigger poundage some and now I need it lighter again so this is another problem. 

And I've heard lighter hammer springs. But a lighter hammer spring I noticed actually causes my groups too widen at 50 yards. 

So where does that leave me?
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Recoil Springs and..... Empty Re: Recoil Springs and.....

Post by james r chapman Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:17 pm

14 to 16 # springs should not cause hammer follow.

how tall are your hammer hooks?

as I recall, the recommendation is to balance the sear and disconnector fingers. an equal share of trigger weight. or something close to that. several threads on that discussion using search function.

Jim
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:11 pm

are you dropping the slide on an empty chamber
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:23 pm

hammer follow is not from recoil springs, its either to light pressure on the sear or disconector leg of the sear spring or problems with the sear or hammer faces. Also never drop the slide on a empty chamber always have a empty shell or dummy round in place.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:19 pm

Reload enough and you'll have plenty of dummy rounds. Very Happy
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:06 pm

You can get hammer follow from trigger bounce if you drop the slide on an empty chamber, especially if the spring pressures on sear & disconnector are not even (heavy on disconnector light on sear).

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:36 am

Ok! I had to mow several acres this afternoon after starting up this thread. But NOW I can talk. 

Stats on the gun:

Recoil Spring: 15#
Hammer Spring: Springfield Armory ILS 28#
Hammer Hooks: .023"
Sear Spring: Disconnector Leg 16 oz / Sear Leg 16 oz (Slightly Over)

Recently I put in a new Colt Sear, Colt Disconnector, Colt Sear Spring, and Wilson Combat Hammer. The trigger felt great. Clean crisp and a little bit of travel or movement before breaking. I found it helps a little in sustained fire for me. I put the new parts in right when I was looking to put in a lesser pound recoil spring in an attempt to lighten felt recoil. I did not have any hammer follow issues. I went from a 18.5# recoil spring with my old trigger set up, to a 11# recoil spring with my new trigger. No problems.

Felt recoil didn't really change. I thought it'd be better but not really. So I started testing my loads with recoil springs. One at a time going up from 11#. I hit 16# and it was pretty good. My side is that there must be a happy middle. Not too light and not too heavy. So I function checked the gun ending with a slide drop to see if the hammer stayed put. Nope. It falls with a heavier spring. I checked the lighter springs and I didn't have any problems. I dropped it to a 15# recoil spring and felt recoil was good and no hammer follow.

Then I read this thread on a 1911 forum about pre travel and the sear legs and disconnector. It all had to do with hammer follow, symptoms and solutions. 

http://www.1911pro.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=11

http://www.1911forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308253

https://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=264739

http://forums.brianenos.com/index.php?/topic/206973-trigger-bounce-hammer-follow/

I stoned the sear legs down some. I also inked up the sear and hammer hooks and put the gun back together and dry fired it some. The ink removed showed me the hooks didn't ride even on the sear. So I fitted them better. 

Now I have a trigger I like, AND no hammer follow. So it seems like theres not just fitting a sear/hammer but fitting a disconnector/sear as well.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down