Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you mark your Aimpoint?

+3
JIMPGOV
Tim:H11
joy2shoot
7 posters

Go down

How do you mark your Aimpoint? Empty How do you mark your Aimpoint?

Post by joy2shoot Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:50 pm

As Aimpoint owners know, the H-1 does not have any index markings on its elevation or windage adjustments.  (For non-Aimpoint owners, see attached picture of the elevation screw.)  My Aimpoint is sighted in for 50 yards and 25 yards is 3 clicks down.  However, when I get home I have to remember did I reset it back to 50.  I tried using a Sharpie to make two marks so when the marks are aligned, it is back to 50.  But the Sharpie marks wear off quickly.  Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,
Thomas
Attachments
How do you mark your Aimpoint? Attachment
Aimpoint.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(179 Kb) Downloaded 5 times

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

How do you mark your Aimpoint? Empty Re: How do you mark your Aimpoint?

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Try sight paint and a tooth pick or nail polish ??? I'm a non owner but those two are stout marking solutions.

Last edited by Tim:H11 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Oops)

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:27 pm

NAIL POLISH WITH A FINE MODEL BRUSH . I USE RED FOR 50 YDS AND WHITE FOR 25YDS. AND HAVE THAT WRITTEN ON THE INSIDE LID OF MY BOX.  I MARK MY IRON SIGHTS THE SAME WAY. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:44 pm

Look under the cap. Should have markings. If not the tool does.  I just write down on my box the 50 to 25 clicks

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:20 pm

take a small file and make a very slight mark at the center of the turret lined up at the rear with center of gun, like what a ultra dot has, your pic even looks like it already has one, once zeroed @ 50 yd use this as a reference and put a paint mark on the inner turning part. then keep a log as to how many clicks it is down from it to your 25 yd zero. If your 50 and 25 yd zero are only 3 clicks different it wont matter much if you leave it on 50, at 25yds that's only 3/8'' difference. Aimpoint each click is only the 1/8'' @ 25, 1/4'' @ 50 half what a UD is.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:40 pm

I like others use nail polish, stuff is also available in Black. I have a bottle of every solid color to mark items in my shop. Stuff is durable and if it needs to be removed I use nail polish remover. When I had the H-1 I put some polish in one of the holes to act as a pointer then with a toothpick put 2 marks on the outer ring in different colors

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:57 am

Christopher Miceli wrote:Look under the cap. Should have markings. If not the tool does.  I just write down on my box the 50 to 25 clicks
Christopher,

The cap does have markings, but how do you propose to use those markings?  I only need to mark the 50 yd setting.  Like you, I write down all other settings on my box. 

The idea is when I get to the next match, I want to be able to look at some reference marks and know the scope is set to 50 yards.  Once slow fire is complete, I just turn the screw the number of clicks I have written in the box for 25 yards.
Attachments
cap.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(157 Kb) Downloaded 5 times

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:14 am

I don't make mine I just try and keep it at the 50 and adjust to 25 and hope I put it back.  Aimpoint a have a crap tone of adjustment so I'm like 8 down and 5 right from my 50 yard and 25 loads

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:19 am

Mark your 50 on then aimpoint tube and adjusting knob. That's what I do with the ultradot. But note that light changes (for example indoor to outdoor) can have an effect, particularly on windage. 

Have you ever seen a silhouette shooter's scope. It has taped on notes and markings telling him everything he needs for each yardline.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:02 pm

joy2shoot wrote:
Christopher Miceli wrote:Look under the cap. Should have markings. If not the tool does.  I just write down on my box the 50 to 25 clicks
Christopher,

The cap does have markings, but how do you propose to use those markings?  I only need to mark the 50 yd setting.  Like you, I write down all other settings on my box. 

The idea is when I get to the next match, I want to be able to look at some reference marks and know the scope is set to 50 yards.  Once slow fire is complete, I just turn the screw the number of clicks I have written in the box for 25 yards.
later made ones don't have the marks anymore.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:25 pm

I am going to use the nail polish suggestion and will report back.  Thanks for all the assistance.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:24 pm

As promised, this is a follow up.  In the first picture below, the elevation adjustment had a factory marking on it.  Once I had my gun sighted in for 50 yd for both elevation and windage, I put a small dot of white nail polish on the screw.  All other elevation adjustments are x clicks from this setting. 

The windage adjustment did not have a factory marking.  So I took a small, triangle shaped file and created a small notch in the stationary ring.  I then put a small dot of nail polish on the screw.  Like elevation, all windage adjustments are x clicks from this base setting.

I decided not to use additional dots of nail polish of different colors for different settings.  I decided to use one dot and all other settings (recorded on a card in my gun box) are x clicks from the base setting.
Attachments
elevation.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(205 Kb) Downloaded 6 times
windage.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(260 Kb) Downloaded 0 times

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down