Modifying Herrett's National 1911 Stocks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Modifying Herrett's National 1911 Stocks

Post by w4ti on 9/6/2016, 7:39 pm

So, before I go and do something more stupid than normal, is it normal to need to relieve more space so that the thumb safety can be completely disengaged?

I've got a 1911 Kimber with an extended thumb safety, and another 1911, from Sig in 9MM, that has a short thumb safety. The left panel (one with thumbrest) needs to be relieved to work on either one. Am I doing something wrong here, or is it normal to have to tweak the grips to the gun?

Very pleased with the Herrett's either way- really like them on my 41.

Thanks,
Chase

w4ti

Back to top Go down

Re: Modifying Herrett's National 1911 Stocks

Post by Tim:H11 on 9/6/2016, 7:57 pm

I have them on my 41 as well and they needed to be relieved slightly (VERY slightly) so they didn't bind and risk cracking on the inside. A spot on the frame didn't quite fit. The modification is only seen if you took off the grips and looked at the underside. 

I would say if you can get them on and off the gun easily with out wrestling or fighting to get them onto the grip screw bushings then so far so good. Once they're on if you have issues then just relieve them some or send em back and try another pair. I don't think it's an uncommon issue with aftermarket grips however I've never heard of this particular spot on the Herrett's being an issue.
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 9/6/2016, 9:20 pm

They haven't really changed the design since, well forever. I have had to remove extra wood on quite a few of them and even made them work with ambi grips. It's just wood in a non stress non obvious visually impacting spot. Remove a little at a time.

Len

Herret 1911 grips on a 952-2. Have knife will whittle.
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by w4ti on 9/7/2016, 8:45 am

Thanks Len- I've got a WEN tool on the way- it's just a little to be removed, and I figured they all could use a little hand fitting.

Have you refinished the grips, and if so, may I ask what protective coating you used (if any)? I can't tell what kind of coating it has, but am wondering about doing my own sort of stippling job and would need to refinish them after- maybe some Linseed oil?

Thanks!
Chase

w4ti

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR on 9/7/2016, 9:11 am

good old rat tail file works fine
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 9/7/2016, 9:39 am

I use Birchwood Tru Oil. But Linseed or Linspeed also work. I've even used Rem Oil. As wet as I keep my pistols it doesn't matter very much.

Len
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo on 9/7/2016, 4:18 pm

OldMaster66 wrote:They haven't really changed the design since, well forever. I have had to remove extra wood on quite a few of them and even made them work with ambi grips. It's just wood in a non stress non obvious visually impacting spot. Remove a little at a time.

Len

Herret 1911 grips on a 952-2. Have knife will whittle.
I modify mine a lot, I plane them down alot and then stipple them. 

I buy them used to save money and because the wood on the old ones is better. The old ones are also shorter and leave more room in the box if you have a scope. 

I typically remove the palm swell and on the right side they are nearly as flat as slabs. 

Yes with an extended safety you will need to remove some wood from the top and maybe the back too so the safety functions freely and does not ride up on the slide. 

I pencil a mark where the safety touches a grip. I then carefully cute virtually with a fine saw and horizontally moving slowly. 

The piece should pop off and leave you needing to file some more off. 

The job should take you 15 minutes start to finish. 

I also use a little vinyl grip tape and tiny lock washer on the palm rest to stop them from moving.

Planing and stippling them will take about 3 hours to do it right and refinish mine with Scandinavian oil finish, they come out nice.
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum