Zero 158gr lswchp info

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by orpheoet on 9/9/2016, 5:48 am

I'm getting a bunch of these as part of a package deal. Any info on accuracy and load data greatly appreciated. With Zero 158 gr lswc I'm using 3.3 gr WST with good results.
http://www.rozedist.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RZD&Product_Code=R122-A&Category_Code=ZSB-38S


Last edited by orpheoet on 9/9/2016, 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Clarification)
avatar
orpheoet

Posts : 599
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 49
Location : Lakewood, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by dronning on 9/9/2016, 9:11 am

45acp??
I assume the 158gr is a typo you title said LSWCHP and that is a 185gr .45 bullet.  3.3 of WST seems pretty light, I use the same 4.1gr for long and short lines.  3.8 is just slightly less accurate and with my set up won't lock the slide back 100%.  1.22 OAL & .470 crimp.

If your looking for 38 special loads you could go a little lighter than 3.3 of WST.

- Dave
avatar
dronning

Posts : 1466
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 64
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by orpheoet on 9/9/2016, 9:26 am

No, .38. It was news to me as well.
avatar
orpheoet

Posts : 599
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 49
Location : Lakewood, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by james r chapman on 9/9/2016, 10:13 am

There's several threads on .38 distinguished loads that might help you.
avatar
james r chapman

Posts : 2167
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 68
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by orpheoet on 9/9/2016, 10:29 am

james r chapman wrote:There's several threads on .38 distinguished loads that might help you.
I don't think I've seen the hollow point mentioned.
avatar
orpheoet

Posts : 599
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 49
Location : Lakewood, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by cdrt on 9/9/2016, 10:50 am

orpheoet wrote:
james r chapman wrote:There's several threads on .38 distinguished loads that might help you.
I don't think I've seen the hollow point mentioned.
For the NRA DR program, it's only round nose and semi-wadcutters.  HP's are not legal AFAIK.
avatar
cdrt

Posts : 236
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Amarillo, Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by orpheoet on 9/9/2016, 10:59 am

cdrt wrote:
orpheoet wrote:
james r chapman wrote:There's several threads on .38 distinguished loads that might help you.
I don't think I've seen the hollow point mentioned.
For the NRA DR program, it's only round nose and semi-wadcutters.  HP's are not legal AFAIK.
I'm just looking for any info on safe loads for centerfire use. I just have no idea what to do with these!
avatar
orpheoet

Posts : 599
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 49
Location : Lakewood, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by cdrt on 9/9/2016, 11:42 am

orpheoet wrote:
cdrt wrote:
orpheoet wrote:
james r chapman wrote:There's several threads on .38 distinguished loads that might help you.
I don't think I've seen the hollow point mentioned.
For the NRA DR program, it's only round nose and semi-wadcutters.  HP's are not legal AFAIK.
I'm just looking for any info on safe loads for centerfire use. I just have no idea what to do with these!
Oh, okay, sorry for the confusion.  My really old Lyman reloading manual shows anywhere from 2.0 grains to 3.5 grains of Bullseye for a 158 cast bullet.  I have tried 2.7 and it a nice light target load.
avatar
cdrt

Posts : 236
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Amarillo, Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by orpheoet on 9/9/2016, 11:58 am

cdrt wrote:
orpheoet wrote:
cdrt wrote:
orpheoet wrote:
james r chapman wrote:There's several threads on .38 distinguished loads that might help you.
I don't think I've seen the hollow point mentioned.
For the NRA DR program, it's only round nose and semi-wadcutters.  HP's are not legal AFAIK.
I'm just looking for any info on safe loads for centerfire use. I just have no idea what to do with these!
Oh, okay, sorry for the confusion.  My really old Lyman reloading manual shows anywhere from 2.0 grains to 3.5 grains of Bullseye for a 158 cast bullet.  I have tried 2.7 and it a nice light target load.
My concern is the bullet might sit farther into the case. I just don't want pressure problems caused by it. I was hoping someone had loaded these. I guess I'll just start low?
avatar
orpheoet

Posts : 599
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 49
Location : Lakewood, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by dronning on 9/9/2016, 12:09 pm

Interesting, I haven't seen those before, I load my .38's SWC to 2.9 of WST.  How much longer is the body of the bullet compared to a non-HP SWC.  If it's much longer you may want to start lower than 2.9.

- Dave
avatar
dronning

Posts : 1466
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 64
Location : Lakeville, MN

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by cdrt on 9/9/2016, 12:10 pm

orpheoet wrote:
cdrt wrote:
orpheoet wrote:
cdrt wrote:
orpheoet wrote:
james r chapman wrote:There's several threads on .38 distinguished loads that might help you.
I don't think I've seen the hollow point mentioned.
For the NRA DR program, it's only round nose and semi-wadcutters.  HP's are not legal AFAIK.
I'm just looking for any info on safe loads for centerfire use. I just have no idea what to do with these!
Oh, okay, sorry for the confusion.  My really old Lyman reloading manual shows anywhere from 2.0 grains to 3.5 grains of Bullseye for a 158 cast bullet.  I have tried 2.7 and it a nice light target load.
My concern is the bullet might sit farther into the case. I just don't want pressure problems caused by it. I was hoping someone had loaded these. I guess I'll just start low?
They would not be any deeper than a 148 HBWC.  I don't think you'll see any pressure problems.
avatar
cdrt

Posts : 236
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Amarillo, Texas

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by Magnusbullets on 9/9/2016, 4:23 pm

3.8 231 or hp38. I think that is Zero s load. Speer and hornady both make one. Great defense bull in small 38 guns.

Magnusbullets

Posts : 267
Join date : 2011-06-12
Location : ardmore, al

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by Magnusbullets on 9/9/2016, 4:25 pm

Not been available from anyone for a while. Other styles getting all the machine time.

Magnusbullets

Posts : 267
Join date : 2011-06-12
Location : ardmore, al

http://www.magnusbullets.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by james r chapman on 9/9/2016, 4:50 pm

avatar
james r chapman

Posts : 2167
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 68
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by Super Dave on 9/12/2016, 3:16 am

That's interesting that 3.8 grains of HP38 might be the Zero factory load.  I've found 3.9 grains very, very accurate in my guns.  See the target on the left.  1.35" at 50 yards.
Dave


Super Dave

Posts : 31
Join date : 2012-02-22
Location : Oahu

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by rreid on 9/12/2016, 8:45 pm

Magnusbullets wrote:3.8 231 or hp38. I think that is Zero s load. 


I assumed it was 700x. Never pulled a bullet, but the bench and the gun were covered with little yellow flakes.
avatar
rreid

Posts : 333
Join date : 2012-02-06

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by BE Mike on 9/13/2016, 8:37 am

rreid wrote:
Magnusbullets wrote:3.8 231 or hp38. I think that is Zero s load. 


I assumed it was 700x. Never pulled a bullet, but the bench and the gun were covered with little yellow flakes.
Could it have been WST?
avatar
BE Mike

Posts : 1404
Join date : 2011-07-29
Location : Indiana

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by s1120 on 9/18/2016, 9:26 am

orpheoet wrote:
My concern is the bullet might sit farther into the case. I just don't want pressure problems caused by it. I was hoping someone had loaded these. I guess I'll just start low?
With the small space taken up with fast powders, and the fairly large volume of the 38spc cartage, the little bit extra its seated in is really not going to make a huge difference. Look up target loads for a 158 gr lead projectile, and also the 148gr wadcutters. Normally only a tiny bit different. Start low and work up.

s1120

Posts : 336
Join date : 2012-09-03
Age : 52
Location : Columbia county NY

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by Jon Eulette on 9/18/2016, 10:27 am

rreid wrote:
Magnusbullets wrote:3.8 231 or hp38. I think that is Zero s load. 


I assumed it was 700x. Never pulled a bullet, but the bench and the gun were covered with little yellow flakes.
They use 700X for 185 jhp 45 loads. I have that from reliable source.
Jon
avatar
Jon Eulette

Posts : 1747
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

Re: Zero 158gr lswchp info

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum