Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vortex Venom red dot sight

+4
10sandxs
messenger
SteveT
donp
8 posters

Go down

Vortex Venom red dot sight Empty Vortex Venom red dot sight

Post by donp 9/11/2016, 8:45 am

Has anyone tried one of these for Bullseye? At only 1.1 ounces and with a top loading battery it sounds interesting. Many years ago I tried a similar sight called a Docter sight and did not care for it. Dot acquisition and method to change the battery were less than ideal. Anyone have any input? Thanks..........Don

donp

Back to top Go down

Vortex Venom red dot sight Empty Re: Vortex Venom red dot sight

Post by SteveT 9/11/2016, 10:40 am

I don't know anything about the Vortex, but the other small panoramic sights I've seen, like the Docter, don't have clicks and have pretty coarse adjustments so it was really difficult to zero the sight. It became a game of adjust, try, adjust try until it finally hit the right point.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 9/11/2016, 11:09 am

I have a vortex venom on a Glock 21. I use it in my clubs action shooting. We are mostly shooting pretty close but I like it. You can replace the battery without removing the sight. It has a pretty good size dot. I like 2-4 moa and the venom's is around 6 moa.
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by 10sandxs 9/12/2016, 6:58 am

I don't know about the venom, but I have a strikefire on my 4 and a spark 2 on my marvel. Both have pretty good dots quality, comparable to ultradot. Neither has had issues yet, unlike my ultradots...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 9/12/2016, 8:57 am

In these small dot sights for bullseye its all about its adjustability and how easy it is to repeat your changes.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr.Don 9/12/2016, 10:45 am

There are also real or perceived differences in using an open reflex sight like a Fastfire or Venom and a tube type sight like an aimpoint or ultradot.  I tried an open reflex sight for a while and did not like it.  I seemed to have more difficulty recovering the dot in sustained fire without the tube.
Dr.Don
Dr.Don

Back to top Go down

Vortex Venom red dot sight Empty Venom is great

Post by Mac2 9/18/2016, 10:02 pm

Have Venom on G34 Gen4 MOS and it has been solid.  Need to have the right length attachment screws and I used blue lock-tight.  Battery is on top!  It proves to be much more easy to use than FF3.  Two buttons.  Had no difficulty zeroing the dot to POI.  Press the forward button and it turns on where it was last set.  Use the two buttons up/down to change intensity.  And best of all: press the rearmost button for 4 seconds and the sight turns off.  No fuss.  Mac

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 9/19/2016, 11:20 am

I have the push button electronic intensity on my Primary Arms Micro and hate it. I like very much the rotary knob that's numbered. Simply turn the knob to the number usually used, sometimes the light level is different and I move it up or down one one number/click and I'm good to go.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Vortex Venom red dot sight Empty Venom may be different

Post by Mac2 9/19/2016, 3:12 pm

Have not used the sight mentioned.  For bowling-pin competition (25 feet), we use one of the $15 red/green 5-steps-and-off sights on Victory with light barrel because it provides a large "disk and dot" and is easy to adjust.  Sure would not use it for bullseye.
The Burris FFIII uses two buttons and is difficult to use.   The Venom two buttons have proven to be very easy to use.  You might well find a Venom to be in a different class from what you are using.  I have one in reserve to go on a Walther Q5 that might prove to be a better bullseye combination than the present Range Officer with a (no choice) high mounted red-dot sight as the Q5 is lighter and because the Q5 will allow a low mounting of the rather low dot in Venom.
As has been observed many times, a pistol must fit - and fit includes racking, trigger, grip, finger placement, magazine button, and sights.  In bullseye, the magazine release is not usually an issue, but in other competitions it - and the rest - need to fit.
Hope you can find someone to demonstrate the Venom.    Mac

Mac2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down