Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Range Officer Operator?

+6
Tim:H11
kjanracing
Froneck
willnewton
cdrt
CD
10 posters

Go down

Range Officer Operator? Empty Range Officer Operator?

Post by CD 9/24/2016, 6:49 am

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum but have been following for a while. Looking to purchase my first 1911 and am between the range officer operator (in 45) and the standard range officer (in 45). Anyone have any advice? I'm not competing (yet) and am looking for a good all around that can grow with my needs.

CD

Back to top Go down

Range Officer Operator? Empty Re: Range Officer Operator?

Post by cdrt 9/24/2016, 7:03 am

Go with the std range officer in .45 ACP.  It will work for both NRA matches and the CMP's Service Pistol EIC match.  You would be limited with the sights on the Operator pistol for the 50 yard slow fire portion of the matches.  The rear sight on the Operator only adjusts for height not windage.  A 1911 frame in 9 mm is not legal for the EIC match, that's the reason for buying the .45.
cdrt
cdrt

Back to top Go down

Post by CD 9/24/2016, 7:35 am

Have been strongly considering the standard RO, but am bothered by the rear sight cut. I don't think there is much out there that fits and the slide would need machining. I'm drawn to the Novak cut of the Operator for the available options but would like to have an adjustable.

CD

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 9/24/2016, 10:46 am

I have an RO and the sights are fantastic for target shooting.  I think it was a very good choice for a starter Bullseye gun for me.  I liked it so much, I followed it up with a Trophy Match.  I will use the RO for iron sights and the TM with an Aimpoint, once the scope rail mounting holes are drilled.

You will probably want to change sights on the Operator for target shooting.  After shooting the RO sights, combat/night/carry sights that I have tried on other guns since then just don't have the aiming ease that a target sight gives.  The side gaps are tighter on the target sights, so you can be more accurate, which is WAY more important than a large combat-style gap designed for ease of acquisition.  The large flat rear blade helps you level the gun vs. narrow carry sights.

So why buy a gun that you will probably have to change sights for? There are sights available for RO if you want to change them, but I don't see why you would need to for a long while, unless you wanted to change the front sight from the optic version.  Google it up.

If you have a nearby gun shop with the guns and a range, then ask if you can compare the two styles of sight by aiming the unloaded pistol at an NRA bullseye target @ 25 yards.  Seeing for yourself will help. Even if they don't have the exact guns, just try something with target vs. combat style sights.

I also got hung up on Operator vs. RO once I had narrowed down the field of pistol choices.  I got the RO and as a target gun, I have NO regrets.

However, I am considering the Operator as a defensive gun, so it's not like it is a bad choice.  I just bought the RO first! Smile
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 9/24/2016, 11:25 am

Simply put the RO is your best choice. I've talked to a few guys that got good accuracy out of the box with the RO, few that were not so good too. But if you get the .45 it can be shot in the NRA centerfire and .45 match in addition to the the EIC if you use the irons sights or remove the scope. You will have a good base to up-grade to a tack driver. The 9mm will most likely need work to get it to shoot but can only be used for the centerfre portion of a 2700 NRA match.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by CD 9/24/2016, 1:02 pm

Thanks so much for all the replies! I have been stewing over this for a while. I'm not in bullseye yet, and my thoughts between the two really come down to sights. Everyone has given me a lot to think about. Seems options are available for the Novak cut, not so much for the LPA. Decisions, decisions...

CD

Back to top Go down

Post by kjanracing 9/24/2016, 6:04 pm

I don't see how you could better the iron sights on the RO. I think they are fine.
kjanracing
kjanracing

Back to top Go down

Post by CD 9/24/2016, 6:35 pm

I agree. For bullseye, would be great. I keep thinking of general purpose.
On the front sight, do you keep it black or replace with something that has more contrast. Or paint? Thanks again everyone!

CD

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 9/24/2016, 6:53 pm

The front sight has a plastic optical rod.  Mine came with a very small red rod installed.  I replaced it with the green and made a bit larger bead than came stock.  I just see the green better and it keeps my focus nailed on the front sight.

The RO comes with enough red and green rod to change color several times.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CD 9/24/2016, 7:39 pm

If I recall, the RO Operator has a fiber front, the standard RO has black iron front.

CD

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 9/24/2016, 7:43 pm

Mine is the Stainless version with fiber optic front sight.  I did not realize the carbon frame shipped with a standard black target sight.
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 9/24/2016, 7:45 pm

I will say that if you look hard, you can find a nice used Trophy Match for close to the same price as a new stainless RO.  I just did!

Last edited by willnewton on 9/24/2016, 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 9/24/2016, 7:46 pm

I feel it could be hard to get a "swiss army knife" pistol. A pistol for multiple uses. In bullseye I've found that it's best to just get dedicated guns for the intended use in order to get the most out the gun for a given task - instead of a multi purpose pistol where each purpose or genre of use could be hindered by the lack of on board options because the options were intended for more than one use. 

Just my two cents. Maybe there are rigs out there people use for more than one event and like it just fine. I don't know. But my first thoughts were what I mentioned.

Back to top Go down

Post by CD 9/24/2016, 8:08 pm

Exactly! The Stainless RO has fiber!

Tim - Probably very good advice! I need to rethink things...

CD

Back to top Go down

Post by scrum derringer 9/24/2016, 8:36 pm

When I first started I was a little non committal when it came to dedicated guns. I ended up drilling and tapping a Range Officer and did the combo RRA mount to do both NRA matches with a dot and an iron sight only league. I have since gotten a LB wadcutter and the RO sits with 4 holes in the slide in the safe. I say, get the operator, change the sight with this adjustable rear, and get a Fusion Hunter mount (or similar) that secures to the light rail. This way you can use target sights (albeit not the best but they adjust) and the option to use a dot without modifying the slide. That way, you when you either move up in equipment, or quit, you now have a nice home defense gun, or a lower for a .22 conversion! Problem solved...always can justify anything, ... much to my credit card's dismay. 

Range Officer Operator? Scope_mount_-3

Range Officer Operator? 721189
scrum derringer
scrum derringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 9/24/2016, 9:55 pm

Here is the all in one gun...well as all in one as it gets.
http://accuracyx.com/MultiSiteFlyer.pdf

Slide can be purchased

Last edited by Christopher Miceli on 9/24/2016, 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 9/24/2016, 9:56 pm

Granted there is no "Swiss Army Knife" pistol, actually the Swiss Army Knife is kinda a lousy knife but it's better than nothing. Most don't have a bank account that will allow buying all the guns necessary to fit the application. In Bullseye alone quite a few are required since the shooting has been expanded. For those intending to enter Bullseye getting an entry level gun that can be at a later day made into the tack driver needed as the classification level is acquired. The best way is to pick a gun that will be a good base for future up-grading.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by SSgtG 9/26/2016, 6:42 am

Idk, when I got back to Bullseye in 2001 I bought a RRA hardball gun. A chunk of change for me at the time ($1350) but my eyes were OK and my goal was to be distinguished. Bought a Marvel conversion that same year. The RRA would function fine with wadcutter ammo with just a recoil spring change. I shot the same lower and trigger for everything. I think it really helped my service pistol shooting to spend that much time with the same trigger. That's about as close as it gets to a "Swiss army gun". With the rule changes there are more options now. Btw, now distinguished, older eyes, had a rra rail mounted to the slide of the ball gun and still shoot it. Couldn't begin to tell you how many rounds are down the tube, many thousands, but it will still clean any target if I do my part.

SSgtG

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 9/26/2016, 9:57 am

go with standard .45 range officer,i order one to buds gun shop past wednesday for $752.48+- . my plans are accuracy job the next year.  i read reviews and this pistol is super excellent for the price.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down