Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mounting Ultradot

+4
Al
Froneck
Jon Eulette
bmac
8 posters

Go down

Mounting Ultradot Empty Mounting Ultradot

Post by bmac 10/6/2016, 7:35 pm

Mounting a new Ultradot Matchdot II on my RO. Do people typically lap the rings on BE pistols like they do on rifle scopes? Any ideas on torque specs for the standard ultradot rings?

bmac

Back to top Go down

Mounting Ultradot Empty Re: Mounting Ultradot

Post by Jon Eulette 10/6/2016, 8:07 pm

UD rings are split style that do not need lapping.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by bmac 10/6/2016, 8:25 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:UD rings are split style that do not need lapping.
Jon
Excellent, thanks.

bmac

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 10/7/2016, 10:20 am

I personally don't like the rings that come with the UltraDot (unless they changed them) Be careful not to over tighten them on the scope, I had a friend that cracked the lens over tightening. Also  have the forward ring up against the larger diameter where the adjustments are. The scope will tend to creep from recoil. Loctite can be used but it's a pain to remove. On my guns that because of other scope mounting I can not locate the new scope to eliminate creep I make a tube from Delrin, weight addition is almost none and use it to fill the space. I'm sure any plastic material will work.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 10/7/2016, 10:47 am

I concur with Froneck on the UD rings. Albeit for a different reason.  I do a complete teardown twice a year on my BE guns. Once before outdoor season & once before indoor season, the rest of the time they just get field stripped & cleaned.  It irritated me not being sighted in after cleaning. 

I started using Weaver rings instead of the UD rings, and yes they are lapped in for that particular firearm, on the recommendation of another BE-lister.  Unless I fail to tighten them to the same torque they are sighted in when reinstalled.

Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by bdas 10/10/2016, 2:42 pm

Al (or anyone), exactly which rings do you use with a 30mm Ultradot?

I currently have an Ultradot on my .22 and haven't had issues with the rings that came with it, but then, it's a .22 and the scope doesn't move with the slide, so it takes a very minimal beating.  I just bought another one to slide mount on my RO, so I'm looking to buy better rings for it.

bdas

http://guns.dsttr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Al 10/10/2016, 3:04 pm

Sorry, can't help you with the 30mm.  I tried 30's 10 yrs ago or so, and don't remember the rings I used.  Didn't like them as much as the standard 1".

Hopefully someone else using a 30mm will chime in.
Al

Al

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 10/10/2016, 4:00 pm

Burris Z rings are available in 30mm and are pretty good. They are horizontal split rings so the scope clamping is separated from the rail attachment.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 10/10/2016, 5:51 pm

Weaver low rings work great, but they are steel and add a little weight but they are rock solid.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by weber1b 10/10/2016, 10:38 pm

DavidR wrote:Weaver low rings work great, but they are steel and add a little weight but they are rock solid.
+1, I have them on two guns and would highly recommend them.

weber1b

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 10/10/2016, 11:02 pm

When mounting my Sightron 30mm I ordered the same rings that came with the Aimpoint 9000 from Midway. They are cheap too, $23 but I liked what I seen when mounting the 9000. Having problems with the gun I mounted the 9000 on required me to remove the scope quite a few times, I was glad to see it returned to zero every time! I do use a torque wrench to tighten the mounting screw that is similar to the Weaver base.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down