Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ghost Ring

2 posters

Go down

Ghost Ring Empty Ghost Ring

Post by Froneck 10/10/2016, 11:41 pm

A while ago I was reading about the Ghost Ring. A Lobster Claw rubber band was suggested so I used Fingernail Polish to color the outside on my scope. At the time it was a Primary Arms Micro. I didn't see much of an advantage. When I got the Aimpoint 9000 I made the extension/sun shade similar to what the AMU is using plus added an extension ring on the ocular side that was bright red. While at it I made an insert to fit inside the extension mounted on the objective side. The ring on the ocular side didn't do much. But I liked the one mounted in the front extension. Not sure if it will help my score as time will tell. However what I did like is that the inner ring causes a concentric ring. When looking thru the scope there is the black tube with a red dot and with the inner ring I now have a blue concentric ring before seeing what is on the objective side. What is nice it is very easy to see that I'm looking thru the center because if I'm not the inner ring is not concentric. Usually I have no problem picking up the gun and finding the red dot but with a new gun and scope I lost the dot. Not during shooting the string but when picking up the gun during the "Ready on the Right" command so I started waving the gun around looking for the dot! Now all I need to do is make the colored ring concentric and the dot is center of the field.
 If you try making one, I'm using translucent Acrylic, by changing the length of the material I can adjust the amount of color, the first one I made was very thin Red but being so thin I got a light Pink ring. Don't use Opaque Plastic even Acrylic, I tried bright opaque Yellow but when mounted in the extension ring it was Black.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Ghost Ring Empty Re: Ghost Ring

Post by Aprilian 10/11/2016, 7:11 am

I created a simpler solution. 
Ghost Ring F8FF1131-DB02-4BD4-BE30-CE6E0E780AA2_zpsqi77e7ek
I got these from Lancaster Archery and peeled out the center circle. I prefer the smaller size reticles. In low light situations, if you have the dot turned up the whole ring will glow (if you find that helpful). 

You don't need the reticle to be perfectly centered, you are looking for repeatability.

Ghost Ring 2834DB11-8361-44D0-A95E-EB23D7876A30_zps8jtwotsz
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by Froneck 10/11/2016, 8:45 am

From what I see you have a ring in the center. If it works for you great! That's the most important feature! What I'm doing is having a ring around the black outline of the scope tube. I see the black as usual then a blue ring followed by the normal field of view. It glows currently blue no matter what intensity I have the dot setting. Putting a long sunshade like the AMU is using on the 9000 helps keep rain of the lens if at Perry but better yet it allows a lower setting for the dot which I like because I get less starburst. I did the same for my Sightron and my older UltraDot match dot. For me the concentric ring helps me quickly find the dot plus acts very much like the rubber band though I really can't notice that band very much especially in covered firing line.

Froneck

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down