1911 checkered grips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1911 checkered grips

Post by SW-52 on 10/30/2016, 11:26 am

what is the best brand of 1911 complete checkered or double diamond checkered grips for replace the RO grips.
avatar
SW-52

Posts : 339
Join date : 2015-07-20
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by SteveT on 10/30/2016, 11:36 am

Best to retain original look? Best for grippiness? Best for resisting hand oils and acids? cheapest?

I like the black laminate grips. I used to buy a new pair of wood grips every year or two because the checkering would get worn down. Then I bought a pair of G10 Black Laminate grips from Rock River Arms and they have held up for several years. I like a pretty aggressive checkering.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=717
avatar
SteveT

Posts : 263
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Illinois

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by Warhorse on 10/30/2016, 11:47 am

For complete checkered I like these, they are as advertised, very grippy.

https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/1911/tactical-diamonds2

Warhorse

Posts : 67
Join date : 2016-04-06
Age : 63
Location : MI

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by AllAces on 10/30/2016, 12:26 pm

I've found VZ grips work well in the summer when my hand sweats a lot.
avatar
AllAces

Posts : 631
Join date : 2011-08-30

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by ric1911a1 on 10/30/2016, 12:37 pm

Another vote for VZ.
avatar
ric1911a1

Posts : 131
Join date : 2013-05-07
Location : Upstate NY

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by Jon Eulette on 10/30/2016, 12:43 pm

I like the VZ's but they feel round instead of arched/flat lide most wood grips. As a result too me it makes grip feel larger which I don't care for. Sharkskins ate ugly little suckers but I love them. I find when I shoot my older pistols with wooden slabs compared to my newer pistols with Sharkskins that I prefer the Sharks.
Jon
avatar
Jon Eulette

Posts : 1590
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by Chris Miceli on 10/30/2016, 2:41 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:I like the VZ's but they feel round instead of arched/flat lide most wood grips. As a result too me it makes grip feel larger which I don't care for. Sharkskins ate ugly little suckers but I love them. I find when I shoot my older pistols with wooden slabs compared to my newer pistols with Sharkskins that I prefer the Sharks.
Jon
Cause sharkskins make you look 10 years younger when you shoot with them.
avatar
Chris Miceli

Posts : 1478
Join date : 2015-10-27
Location : Haymarket, VA

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by LenV on 10/30/2016, 3:08 pm

Sharkskins for EIC, 50/50 for CC, Herretts for BE and Ivory (fake) when you want to look cool. Cool

avatar
LenV

Posts : 2466
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 67
Location : Best state in USA

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by Jon Eulette on 10/30/2016, 3:10 pm

Christopher Miceli wrote:
Jon Eulette wrote:I like the VZ's but they feel round instead of arched/flat lide most wood grips. As a result too me it makes grip feel larger which I don't care for. Sharkskins ate ugly little suckers but I love them. I find when I shoot my older pistols with wooden slabs compared to my newer pistols with Sharkskins that I prefer the Sharks.
Jon
Cause sharkskins make you look 10 years younger when you shoot with them.
Ha! Hell a beard trim knocks 20 years off. So add the Sharkskins and look out!
Jon
avatar
Jon Eulette

Posts : 1590
Join date : 2013-04-15
Location : Southern Kalifornia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by DavidR on 10/31/2016, 8:27 am

the viz diamond backs are the most aggressive they sell, I have 2 sets and they stay put in your hand way better than sharkskin which I also have but if you need a thinner grip sharkskin is thinner.
https://vzgrips.com/pistol-grips/1911/diamond-backs
avatar
DavidR
Admin

Posts : 2964
Join date : 2011-06-10
Age : 63
Location : NRA:Expert, Georgia

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by SW-52 on 11/1/2016, 12:43 pm

thanks to all for the recommendations,very appreciate!
avatar
SW-52

Posts : 339
Join date : 2015-07-20
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by SW-52 on 11/1/2016, 12:48 pm

SteveT wrote:Best to retain original look? Best for grippiness? Best for resisting hand oils and acids? cheapest?

I like the black laminate grips. I used to buy a new pair of wood grips every year or two because the checkering would get worn down. Then I bought a pair of G10 Black Laminate grips from Rock River Arms and they have held up for several years. I like a pretty aggressive checkering.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_id=717
all of this.
avatar
SW-52

Posts : 339
Join date : 2015-07-20
Age : 33

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by SteveT on 11/1/2016, 2:26 pm

SW-52 wrote:
SteveT wrote:Best to retain original look? Best for grippiness? Best for resisting hand oils and acids? cheapest?
all of this.

Sorry to disappoint, but you can't have it all. Laminates have good grippiness, resist sweat and last a long time, but they're more expensive and don't look original.
avatar
SteveT

Posts : 263
Join date : 2011-06-10
Location : Illinois

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by rich.tullo on 11/6/2016, 6:44 pm

Shark Skins or Harretts , thin and cheap http:

http://www.bullseyegear.com/bullseyepistol/product.php?productid=302&cat=9&page=1

I have been shooting 22lr well with Harretts NM Target stocks and made some up for my 45's. They did not work as well on the 45s. 

So I am going back to slabs, I tried Checked and Shark skin and decided on the shark skin.

http://www.brownells.com/handgun-parts/grip-parts/grips/1911-sharkskin-grips-prod68565.aspx
avatar
rich.tullo

Posts : 822
Join date : 2015-03-27

Back to top Go down

Re: 1911 checkered grips

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum