Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

roll trigger

+10
Magload
igolfat8
dronning
daflorc
SNaymola
SW-52
kc.crawford.7
LenV
Lightfoot
Danny H
14 posters

Go down

roll trigger Empty roll trigger

Post by Danny H Fri 18 Nov 2016, 1:40 am

I see the term roll trigger being used on this forum. I appears this is the way to go in bullseye competition now days.
Could someone please explain to me how a roll trigger works & what it feels like?
I have always had my target guns set up with a crisp trigger between 2.5 & 4.5 lbs. Thanks Danny

Danny H

Back to top Go down

roll trigger Empty Re: roll trigger

Post by Lightfoot Fri 18 Nov 2016, 1:53 am

I just installed a roll trigger last month. Basically it feels like a smooth crappy trigger.
Lightfoot
Lightfoot

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV Fri 18 Nov 2016, 2:44 am

I had one of the best, if not "the" best roll triggers ever made in the 70's. Walther KKJ. It felt like a smooth trigger that you were taking up the slack on and should have come up against resistance but never did. The thing always fired when I wasn't expecting it. Just like it was designed to do. I could never get used to it but still regret selling it when I made it back to the States.

Len

My KKJ was a 22 Hornet rifle designed for "running boar" in case you never heard of one. Smile
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Fri 18 Nov 2016, 8:42 am

Danny,

A roll trigger lets you feel the movement of the sear against the hammer hooks for its entire length of movement.  An explanation that many folks understand is a "smooth" Glock trigger.  Instead of taking out the slack and start building weight to make the sear move, after you take out the slack and start increasing weight you will feel the sear moving against the hammer hooks.
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 Fri 18 Nov 2016, 12:18 pm

i think the best explanation will be a demostrative video for see the function of roll trigger.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by SNaymola Fri 18 Nov 2016, 12:28 pm

There was a guy at Perry last year that had a nice setup to measure and plot trigger movement and let off. It would be interesting to use those plots to show us what a roll trigger looks like as plotted on paper vs not roll and all variations in between.

Stan

SNaymola

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny H Fri 18 Nov 2016, 4:16 pm

Thanks for all of the reply's. I was thinking it was the way you guy's described it, but was not sure.
I am thinking about ordering one from KC & putting it in one of my stock 1911's & try it out.
I want to also thank everyone on this forum for all of the other valuable info that you post on this site.
I just had shoulder surgery & can not do much, so I have been on here doing a lot of reading & learning new things about reloading good ammo for the 38 & 45 eg. bullet size, case sizing,case expander size & the use of WST powder. I always used B.E. & 231.
Can't wait to get to the point when I can start reloading again & try some of the things that I learned from you guys.  Thanks again Danny

Danny H

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc Tue 17 Jan 2017, 1:00 am

Bringing this thread back alive to post my results...

I just ran my first 100 reloads through KC's roll trigger in my Range Officer. The shape of the battle axe style makes cocking the trigger with the thumb difficult. Feels a little creepy in the beginning of the trigger pull, and a little resistance here and there, which I'm sure will smooth out with use. It is a consistent feeling pull. Will definitely take a little getting used to with slow fire.  On the plus side, I feel like it makes a dramatic difference in my sustained fire. I averaged 94 to 95 on timed and rapid before, my targets today averaged 96-97, which makes the hammer/sear well worth the price to me. Much easier to control in timed and rapid. Parts seem very well made and finished, and good quality tool steel. Really glad I took the dive and made the purchase on this roll trigger kit!

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning Tue 17 Jan 2017, 3:00 am

I have 3 of KC's trigger kits and can't say enough good things about them BUT the ones that KC installed in the 2 guns he built for me are even better!

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by igolfat8 Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:15 pm

Jon Eulette let me try four of his .45s and one had a roll trigger in it. Three were typical glass wall break but the roll trigger was noticeably different, in a good way, to me. It was certainly my favorite of the four. I believe it was one of KCs trigger that Jon had done some tweaking on but he will need to talk to that.

igolfat8

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Tue 17 Jan 2017, 10:25 pm

What I drop a bunch of bucks on a custom BE gun and now I need to spend another $230 on a roll trigger.  One would think if a roll trigger was what a WC gun needed Les would have put one in this thing.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:14 pm

Magload wrote:What I drop a bunch of bucks on a custom BE gun and now I need to spend another $230 on a roll trigger.  One would think if a roll trigger was what a WC gun needed Les would have put one in this thing.  Don

That's funny. Did you try asking Les if you could have a slide mount on your gun?
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:18 pm

Might want to ask these guys instead...since they do the building

https://youtu.be/VbHqKN5zcy4

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Magload Tue 17 Jan 2017, 11:36 pm

I watched that video before a bought and I talked with them on the phone.  I was born and raised in Iowa and those are some good people.  I did not want a slide mount.  i put a frame mount on my Gold Cup my self and drillingand tapping 10 holes made me as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.  It turned out fine to bad the gun was so sloppy.  Don
Magload
Magload

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian Wed 18 Jan 2017, 12:37 am

rreid wrote:
Magload wrote:What I drop a bunch of bucks on a custom BE gun and now I need to spend another $230 on a roll trigger.  One would think if a roll trigger was what a WC gun needed Les would have put one in this thing.  Don

That's funny. Did you try asking Les if you could have a slide mount on your gun?
Or which magazines you could use?
Aprilian
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by r_zerr Wed 18 Jan 2017, 3:03 pm

Les Baer says "We do everything like it is 1930."
from his videos.

I would say that there has been a lot learned and advanced in 86+ years, and some of which "old school craftsmanship" has no substitute.
No micrometers shown....hmm.

-Ron

r_zerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down