Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I Need Rear Sight Idea's

+5
kc.crawford.7
STEVE SAMELAK
Jack H
Jon Eulette
Tim:H11
9 posters

Go down

I Need Rear Sight Idea's Empty I Need Rear Sight Idea's

Post by Tim:H11 Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Is there an adjustable rear sight that is able to fit into the rear sight dovetail of a Springfield Mil Spec 1911? I bought a Mil Spec on gun broker and I'm thinking of turning it into a hardball gun.

Back to top Go down

I Need Rear Sight Idea's Empty Re: I Need Rear Sight Idea's

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:43 pm

Ate you planning on keeping stock front sight? If yes you need a really low rear sight.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Sun Nov 20, 2016 9:53 pm

No the front sight will get replaced too. I actually just came across a rear and front sight Kensight makes for the GI or Mil Spec models. 

http://stores.kensight.com/kensight-compact-adjustable-sight-with-rounded-blade/

http://stores.kensight.com/70-series-colt-1911a1-tenon-staked-patridge-front-target-sight/

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:11 pm

If staking on front sight you'll need jig/fixture to hold it while you stake it.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:23 pm

I would send the slide to Jon or somebody like for a dovetail front and Bomar type rear.  Ask first Smile
Jack H
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by STEVE SAMELAK Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:05 pm

The quality of the Kensight that is being made is just as good as a Bomar sight...if you can find one.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 am

Tim

The Kensight is a perfect rear sight to use for your project.  Are you planning on staking, dovetail or silver solder your front sight?
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:01 am

kc.crawford.7 wrote:Tim

The Kensight is a perfect rear sight to use for your project.  Are you planning on staking, dovetail or silver solder your front sight?

I am trying to avoid shipping the gun to someone for cost reasons. A dovetail front sight would be nice but beyond my capabilities. As is silver solder. I don't know anything about that process. So if I could track down a good jig or tool then I had just planned to stake it my self.

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:08 am

I think all you would need to send is the slide. As such it is machine parts rather than a firearm. At least that is my understanding. Something that you didn't bring up. At one time Dave Salyer recommended the Milspec as the starting point for a wad gun. That way you weren't paying for NM sights you weren't going to use. Plus since you would be replacing the barrel and bushing with a Kart, there was less cost for the system. 

My ballgun is a Series 70 that has distinguished at least two other shooters. It's an old school Colt all the way with the exception of the BoMar sights.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by kc.crawford.7 Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:01 am

All you would have to ship is the slide.  But you're going to have to drill and tap for the elevation screw.  The only staking tool I can recommend is this one from Brownells.  It would be cheaper for you to send the slide out than to buy the staking tool for just one job.
http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-stakers/1911-sight-staking-tool-prod41513.aspx
kc.crawford.7
kc.crawford.7

http://www.kcskustomcreations.com

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X Tue Nov 22, 2016 7:33 am

Tim:  

I rarely weigh in on equipment recommendations, but if you're going to ship a slide and spend money to get a good adjustable rear sight installed (and a good milled low mount rear just looks right on a 1911 slide), then I would also just get a dovetail front sight done as well.  

In olden times, with real hardball, keeping some front sights staked on was just a pain the butt.  And a well installed dovetail, rounded properly, just looks great with a low mount rear.  And I've never had one of those come off.  

Also you get the option of replacing the rear blade and front sight with night sights should you choose to put the gun to a different use in the future. Just my opinion.  

CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:36 am

CR10X wrote:Tim:  

I rarely weigh in on equipment recommendations, but if you're going to ship a slide and spend money to get a good adjustable rear sight installed (and a good milled low mount rear just looks right on a 1911 slide), then I would also just get a dovetail front sight done as well.  

In olden times, with real hardball, keeping some front sights staked on was just a pain the butt.  And a well installed dovetail, rounded properly, just looks great with a low mount rear.  And I've never had one of those come off.  

Also you get the option of replacing the rear blade and front sight with night sights should you choose to put the gun to a different use in the future. Just my opinion.  

CR

I hear ya. And if it wasn't for this crazy idea I have for an "old school" looking hardball gun then yes dovetails and bomar sights would be the way to go. But I really want to learn to do some work on my own. One type of job at a time. Maybe eventually learn how to fit a barrel really good too. I even have some shark fin front sights and old micro rear sights I may use. But the kensight seems a bit better than the micro. So I don't know yet. But the "old" look is what I'm going for. It will more than likely be for fun more than competive.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:14 am

Get the book by Jerry Kuhnhausen and tou should be able to figure out how to stake a front sight.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:17 am

Jon Eulette wrote:Get the book by Jerry Kuhnhausen and tou should be able to figure out how to stake a front sight.
Jon

I have volume one already!

Back to top Go down

Post by UtahDave Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:32 pm

At the risk of committing heresy, how about one of the industrial adhesives...aka super glue?  I've seen scope bases glued to single shot barrels and it was robust and neat.  I've used Black Max for some projects but not sights.  

Dave

UtahDave

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:54 pm

UtahDave wrote:At the risk of committing heresy, how about one of the industrial adhesives...aka super glue?  I've seen scope bases glued to single shot barrels and it was robust and neat.  I've used Black Max for some projects but not sights.  

Dave

I'm actually looking forward to buying a staking tool and learning how to do it, doing it myself, and enjoying the finished product with the satisfaction of taking care of it on my own.

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:18 pm

I both silver solder and stake my front sights.. A very easy silver solder to use is Brownells Force 44... If you can solder at all, you can use it.
jglenn21
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down