Case polishing importance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Case polishing importance

Post by John McCormick on 11/26/2016, 9:15 pm

Aside from the obvious cosmetic improvement, and assuming the use of carbide dies, is there any real value to polishing cases prior to reloading? Is it generally considered a necessary step in the process? Thanks in advance.

John McCormick

Posts : 71
Join date : 2014-06-25
Location : SW FL

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by Dr.Don on 11/26/2016, 10:45 pm

Makes things less messy, but I loaded many thousands of 45's before I ever owned a brass cleaning tumbler.
avatar
Dr.Don

Posts : 400
Join date : 2012-10-31
Location : Cedar Park, TX

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by Wobbley on 11/26/2016, 10:46 pm

I reloaded for years without polishing brass.  Then I bought a Thumlers tumbler and never looked back.  

That said, it is more important that it be clean.  The Frankfort Arsenal wet tumbler would be my choice today.

Wobbley

Posts : 916
Join date : 2015-02-12

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by willnewton on 11/27/2016, 7:02 am

I use an ultrasonic cleaner on my deprimed brass.  It is clean, but not polished.  I did not choose it for any particular reason, except I already had the ultrasonic and it is a wet process, so no lead or powder residue gets airborne.  I use a dilute mix of Simple Green cleaner and water.

It seems like I remember reading about a small study that found a dry tumbler had one of the highest concentrations of lead in the shop.  I would assume that came from reusing the media over and over again. Probably not a big deal, but if you saw how dirty the water was in the ultrasonic after cleaning, it might give you some pause.

I have thought about shiny tumbled cases, but I am the only one that looks at them, so....
avatar
willnewton

Posts : 216
Join date : 2016-07-24
Location : Eastern NC

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by orpheoet on 11/27/2016, 7:12 am

willnewton wrote:I use an ultrasonic cleaner on my deprimed brass.  It is clean, but not polished.  I did not choose it for any particular reason, except I already had the ultrasonic and it is a wet process, so no lead or powder residue gets airborne.  I use a dilute mix of Simple Green cleaner and water.

It seems like I remember reading about a small study that found a dry tumbler had one of the highest concentrations of lead in the shop.  I would assume that came from reusing the media over and over again. Probably not a big deal, but if you saw how dirty the water was in the ultrasonic after cleaning, it might give you some pause.

I have thought about shiny tumbled cases, but I am the only one that looks at them, so....
I used to dry tumble and had pretty brass. My lead level was 36. Changed to ultra sonic and now my lead level is under 10. I did change some other stuff too but not tumbling was the biggest factor in my opinion.
avatar
orpheoet

Posts : 540
Join date : 2014-07-29
Age : 49
Location : Lakewood, Oh

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by BE Mike on 11/27/2016, 7:51 am

It makes the brass easier to find when they escape the net. I take pride in the look of my loaded ammo and I think it makes the ammo look like someone went that extra step. All that said, it really isn't necessary. Kinda like washing and waxing one's car/ truck.
avatar
BE Mike

Posts : 1312
Join date : 2011-07-29
Location : Indiana

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by Rob Kovach on 12/2/2016, 3:22 pm

I haven't cleaned brass in over a year....just shooting the same dirty stuff over and over again.
avatar
Rob Kovach
Admin

Posts : 2617
Join date : 2011-06-13
Age : 43
Location : Brooklyn, WI

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by james r chapman on 12/2/2016, 8:26 pm

when not polished, no one else covets it, eh?
avatar
james r chapman

Posts : 1874
Join date : 2012-01-31
Age : 68
Location : HELL, Michigan

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by L Valdez on 12/2/2016, 8:36 pm

Dirty brass is under the radar for the brass grabbers, too hard to find in the grass.

L Valdez

Posts : 22
Join date : 2016-07-21

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by LenV on 12/2/2016, 8:47 pm

Shooter next to me (most matches) doesn't polish his. Claims everything that is not shiny. And some shiny ones Shocked
avatar
LenV

Posts : 2358
Join date : 2014-01-24
Age : 67
Location : Oargun

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by STEVE SAMELAK on 12/2/2016, 8:56 pm

LenV wrote:Shooter next to me (most matches) doesn't polish his. Claims everything that is not shiny. And some shiny ones Shocked

That's when you need to dispose of some of your SP 45 & Amerc brass  Twisted Evil
avatar
STEVE SAMELAK

Posts : 386
Join date : 2011-06-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by jglenn21 on 12/3/2016, 4:54 pm

STEVE SAMELAK wrote:
LenV wrote:Shooter next to me (most matches) doesn't polish his. Claims everything that is not shiny. And some shiny ones Shocked

That's when you need to dispose of some of your SP 45 & Amerc brass  Twisted Evil



+1
avatar
jglenn21

Posts : 871
Join date : 2015-04-07
Age : 69
Location : monroe , ga

Back to top Go down

Re: Case polishing importance

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum