Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Securing reloading machine to bench

+10
RustyJoints
blindshooter
desben
Victor Reyes
Wobbley
JIMPGOV
jmdavis
willnewton
STEVE SAMELAK
John McCormick
14 posters

Go down

Securing reloading machine to bench Empty Securing reloading machine to bench

Post by John McCormick 11/28/2016, 12:46 pm

I have a heavy steel roll-away tool box with a wooden work surface that I'd like to use as a reloading bench. I use a Dillon machine for pistol and MEC machines for shotgun and what I'd like to do is establish a permanent set of threaded holes for the different "footprints." That way I can secure and remove machines as needed, and still have a work surface that can be used for other things when I'm not reloading. Does anyone know of some sort of inside and outside threaded plug that would go in flush with the surface? The thickness of the wood top is 3/4".

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Securing reloading machine to bench Empty Re: Securing reloading machine to bench

Post by STEVE SAMELAK 11/28/2016, 12:57 pm

Most big box hardware stores have a specialty fastener cabinet.
Look at threaded inserts.
Drill the appropriate size hole & screw them in with a dab of glue to lube them.
STEVE SAMELAK
STEVE SAMELAK

Back to top Go down

Securing reloading machine to bench Empty Re: Securing reloading machine to bench

Post by willnewton 11/28/2016, 1:00 pm

Yep, you need insert nuts, which you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot.  You screw them into the wood and then screw your hold-down hardware into them.  If you use the brass ones, make sure to make an installation tool made from a hexhead bolt and two nuts that match your insert.  Put the two nuts on the bolt and leave a good bit of thread exposed, then screw that into the insert and use it as a nut driver to get it into your worktop.  Loosen the top nut and you will be able to release the insert and back out the bolt.  Voila!  If you try to drive the insert in with a screwdriver, you will probably break it.

You can save yourself the trouble and get the ones with a hex socket in the top, but they might not be available locally.

You can also use tee nuts, which have a barbed flange and you install from the underside of the work surface.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=insert+nut
Attachments
Securing reloading machine to bench Attachment
helicoil-installation-wood.jpeg found this pic on the internet. I use two nuts so it doesn't lock itself on the boltYou don't have permission to download attachments.(25 Kb) Downloaded 0 times

Last edited by willnewton on 11/28/2016, 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis 11/28/2016, 1:08 pm

Bolt them from the bottom up. I'm not sure I would trust the insert nuts with the pressures from a progressive press and particularly not with a rifle press. 

The other option is quick change plates like the ones made by Lee and Inline Fabrication. Once the plates are mounted you can swap the presses in and out easily.
jmdavis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV 11/28/2016, 1:20 pm

I HAVE 4 DILLON 1050'S. I HAVE ONLY USED DECK SCREWS. THEY WORK JUST FINE. JP
Securing reloading machine to bench 100_1058_zps6363c66e

Last edited by JIMPGOV on 11/28/2016, 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 11/28/2016, 2:06 pm

You could to something like this guy.

http://ultimatereloader.com/2011/03/27/the-new-reloading-bench-system-at-ultimate-reloader/ 

Or also consider these.  They make a flush mounting system too.

https://inlinefabrication.com/collections/quick-change-press-mounting-system  

In any event I would fasten the movable wood top to the tool box.  Shifting tools get tiring to use because your body has to adapt to complex forces in odd ways.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Victor Reyes 11/28/2016, 3:51 pm

I would get a 3/4 plate of aluminum that would measure the size of your tool box top area. Have someone or you cut it nicely. Figure out where you want to put your reloading tool footprints and with a drill or drill press, drill holes and then tap threads to the aluminum plate. Just like a RCBS accessories plate, but much bigger.

Victor Reyes

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 11/28/2016, 4:08 pm

My setup is not as sexy/permanent... I bolted my press to a piece of 2x8 and then C-clamp that to my work surface. Easy, solid and fast to install/remove.

Securing reloading machine to bench 20096710499_733c37708f
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by John McCormick 11/29/2016, 8:21 am

Thank you for the replies. Now I know what to ask for at Home Depot or Lowes.

John McCormick

Back to top Go down

Post by blindshooter 12/2/2016, 1:37 pm

This works for me in the small space I have now. I have used this setup in three different homes an two different shops.
Decent grade 3/4 plywood, glue and screw the "tool plates". I used forstner bit to make recess for bolt heads. Rack for tool/machine storage under bench except for 1050, its too tall with feeder post. I also use two different height benches.
Make a blank for when you need a clear bench top. I think the plates and socket are 9in on top and 11in on bottom (I'm not home now). Hold down bolts may be needed if your wood working skills suck as do mine.
Attachments
bench1.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(51 Kb) Downloaded 3 times
bench2.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(52 Kb) Downloaded 4 times
bench3.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(68 Kb) Downloaded 5 times

blindshooter

Back to top Go down

Post by RustyJoints 12/18/2016, 7:09 am

Cut as many mounting plates as you need (plus an extra or two). Drill a hole in each corner of one mounting plate to a diameter just under the shaft size of the threaded inserts. Use this plate as a template to drill your bench and the rest of the mounting plates. Push the threaded inserts up from the bottom of the bench and hammer in. Take a ½” drill and open up the holes in the mounting plates to allow for any misalignment. Mount press to board and bolt down using a fender washer to allow for floating into alignment.Securing reloading machine to bench Img_0918Securing reloading machine to bench Img_0916Securing reloading machine to bench Img_0917Securing reloading machine to bench Img_0915
RustyJoints
RustyJoints

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 12/18/2016, 10:46 am

Step 1, Steal the guest bedroom. What's more important? Reloading room 365 or guest room 3 days a year?

Step 2, Buy 2 sheets of 3/4" AC plywood, bunch of 2x4's, various size screws and some stain.

Step 3, Go crazy and have fun

Step 4, Enjoy. Picture doesn't show it all. Mec mounted far right. 3 RCBS Presses and a Lee.

Securing reloading machine to bench 02041610
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 12/18/2016, 11:30 am

Show off...
Carpeted???

Big screen TV for YouTube how to videos?

Last edited by james r chapman on 12/18/2016, 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest 12/18/2016, 12:09 pm

LenV wrote:Step 1, Steal the guest bedroom. What's more important? Reloading room 365 or guest room 3 days a year?

Step 2, Buy 2 sheets of 3/4" AC plywood, bunch of 2x4's, various size screws and some stain.

Step 3, Go crazy and have fun

Step 4, Enjoy. Picture doesn't show it all. Mec mounted far right. 3 RCBS Presses and a Lee.

Securing reloading machine to bench 02041610

Good gracious, Ignatius! Suddenly feeling so inadequate.

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 12/18/2016, 3:50 pm

Nice set up LenV.

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 12/19/2016, 10:18 am

I took a 3/4 inch sheet of pyl wood made a base then drilled through the table and the plywood using 4 x 3/4 inch bolts and lock rings I attached the Hornady Press. seems to work. About once a year I have to tighten it all up but it works over 1000's of rounds.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down