WTB old ball gun

Go down

WTB old ball gun

Post by mtlucas0311 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:41 am

My dad has decided that he wants to start shooting again. He asked me to help him find a ball gun. Looking for an old Clark sr. Or Giles ball gun in nice shape, doesn't have to be perfect, but would like one that's been taken care of.
email is best,
mtlucas0311@gmail.com

Thanks,
Mike

mtlucas0311

Back to top Go down

Re: WTB old ball gun

Post by LenV on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:05 am

LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by mtlucas0311 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:54 am

Thank you! I sent him an email. Maybe he still has it.

Regards,
Mike

mtlucas0311

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans on Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:56 am

There's a couple guns built by John Giles gun on gunbroker.com right now, ranging from $2500-3000 plus.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by mtlucas0311 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:07 pm

Yea, I've seen those. They've been on there a while. Those are absurd prices in my opinion. I havent bought much on gunbroker lately because it seems like it's loaded with fake collectible arms and Overpriced guns that are all described as "rare". There's a better crowd here who seem to ask reasonable prices from their fellow competitors.

mtlucas0311

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:02 pm

I think newly built guns are better ... you know better materials and stuff
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:20 pm

Having shot and worked on almost all the older and newer bullseye pistols, I would recommend a SA RO over an older wadgun. Tighter frame/slide fit. Factory barrel in many cases is better fit than old school barrels; better upper lug fit on newer barrels by design and bottom lugs are comparable. Bushing fit is pretty good on newer RO as well. All the RO needs is a trigger job. If he really gets the bug he can have it built into a real wadgun. Probably cheaper in the long run; old pistol might need work and possibly re-barreled.
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by mtlucas0311 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:29 pm

I'm looking for a ball gun, not a wad gun.
We both appreciate the skill and craftsmanship that went into these old guns, which is one of the reasons we both shoot them. I have a Springfield Trophy Match I won years back, I've shot it with ball and SWC's. It shoots pretty good, but not as good as either of my ball guns. As long as my guns will shoot 3" at 50 yards I'm happy.

mtlucas0311

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:43 pm

No such thing as a "ball gun " with the rules changes. Unless you just love gi safeties and 230 rn
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning on Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:57 pm

Christopher Miceli wrote:No such thing as a "ball gun " with the rules changes. Unless you just love gi safeties and 230 rn
+1. Plus 185gr JHP are more accurate and more enjoyable to shoot. 

The older Clark Sr and Giles guns in decent shape have reached collector status, even here. 
- Dave
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by mtlucas0311 on Sat Dec 24, 2016 6:33 pm

When those guns were made there was a difference, which is why I specified. I'm looking for an old purpose built ball gun, even though you can shoot just about anything now. I really don't know why anybody who's trying to leg out would want to do it with anything less than full boat 230's and a 1911, as the 1500 or so badge holders did before them, but to each their own.
I posted here because I'm well aware that collectors are on the old target guns. I still see them posted for reasonable prices now and again here, as Len showed with his link. Whenever I stop or slow down, I want mine to go to another bullseye shooter and not end up in some shadow box under a coffee table. That means I won't get collector money, I'm ok with that.

mtlucas0311

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinNJokin on Thu Dec 29, 2016 6:27 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if a good share of the collectible bullseye guns in this country are owned by us forum members...

SmokinNJokin

Back to top Go down

Post by mtlucas0311 on Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:03 pm

I tend to agree, and would add bullseye shooters in general. As the community ages I think we tend to buy the guns that we know are really good when their owners pass or hang it up. Most of the ones I've seen for sale publicly are by people who bought an estate or a widow seller her late husbands equipment. There's a lot of them out there though, when I first started as a teen in the 80's, there were a heck of a lot more guys at sectionals, regionals, and certainly Perry. It seemed like everybody had half a dozen guns or so. They're all out there somewhere.

Thanks to those who emailed me with leads, we found him one.

Regards,
Mike

mtlucas0311

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum