Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Caspian or Range Officer

+7
Jon Eulette
AllAces
SW-52
dronning
willnewton
Chris Miceli
SteveBrown
11 posters

Go down

Caspian or Range Officer Empty Caspian or Range Officer

Post by SteveBrown 1/1/2017, 7:30 am

Given a choice between a slightly used Caspian or ordering a RO, which one would be the better choice to send to a bullseye smith for a wad gun upgrade? No information on the Caspian other than a picture that I can't seem to post (I'll try again). I don't know anything about Caspian???

SteveBrown

Back to top Go down

Caspian or Range Officer Empty Re: Caspian or Range Officer

Post by Chris Miceli 1/1/2017, 9:10 am

For a full build ? I would go with what ever is cheaper. Most would replace all the ignition parts of the RO for quality parts. Rebarrel as needed

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton 1/1/2017, 9:16 am

A "Caspian" is a gun made with a frame from Caspian Arms and 100% built up from aftermarket parts.  They can be built by anyone, which means it can be good or bad depending on the skill of the builder.  

To me, the value of a Caspian-based build is only worth the skill of the pistolsmith, so you could be buying some else's problem if you aren't careful.  If you can try before you buy or know the owner or know the guy that put it together, that would help.

A RO is not a bad choice at all, I love mine, but dont have any illusions that it is the same as "MegaSuperWadCutterPistolsmithMasterGrade" pistol, but with a good gunsmith, it can be.

Drop a KC Crawford roll trigger in an RO and you can go a long way with just that.

They can both be good guns, no doubt, but the Caspian can go either way.  You just have to know what you are looking at, when you buy used.  

A good gunsmith can fix most problems, but you can't fix stupid! Smile
willnewton
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBrown 1/1/2017, 9:29 am

I guess it would be a full build. Here's the post advertising the Caspian I'm considering...
Caspian 1911. Caspian slide and frame. Briley match grade barrel and bushing. Novak sights. (Not night sights) Wilson trigger set to 4 lbs. Also has 2 Wilson mags.
I have no idea of who had anything to do with this one but it's a local deal so I can fondle it prior to purchasing!

SteveBrown

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/1/2017, 9:35 am

The Caspian is a crap shoot, it could have been extremely well done or very poorly done, the RO has proven to be pretty consistent and a good base to build on.

The only way I'd choose the Caspian over the RO is if I knew who built it and was able to handle it or better yet shoot it.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBrown 1/1/2017, 9:48 am

I'm pretty new to Bullseye (March 2016) but attended Perry and did ok for being new to the sport. I'm shooting a Giles built Colt but I want another .45 as a backup or maybe get lucky and end up with one that's better than the Giles. I'm shooting master scores with the Giles and want something that will have the best chance of being comparable. Unfortunately I really wouldn't know what to look at with the Caspian if I had it in my hand! 
From your replies it looks like a RO unless I can shoot the Caspian prior to purchasing. I just didn't know if one was preferred much more than the other by bullseye smiths.

SteveBrown

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 1/1/2017, 11:39 am

ok,i have a RO( on road to KC's Kustom) and i change the GI Guide Rod for EGW two piece SS guide rod, sharkskin grips and wilson combat front strap. i think Range officer is a Great option and great pistol,because i shoot 3 colts and the slide to frame is very loose( my experience). my pistol will rebarreled with a new bushing,a roll trigger kit and a scope mount. i like the caspian builds,but for the money for beggin,a R.O and send to kc!
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 1/1/2017, 11:51 am

Buy an RO and have either Dave Salyer or KC Crawford do the build. Not only will you not regret it, but when you sell the gun, the next owner won't regret it either.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/1/2017, 11:56 am

I've never seen a Caspian build that was good from 99% of the home built I've run across. If the frame to slide git on Caspian were excellent I'd opt for the Caspian and rebarrel it. Most home built Caspians jave atrocious barrel fit all in the name of custom built Smile At some point you'll re-barrel the RO. Novak sights typically are non-adjustable but you can get adjustable replacement. New sight might be loose in slide though Sad
No gamble with a RO though. I've built many this year and they ate great base pistols. I wish SA would checker front strap!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBrown 1/1/2017, 5:20 pm

Thanks for all of the input, I really appreciate it. Another question though... Since I'm sending whichever gun to a bullseye smith (that's another question) for new barrel and whatever else they deem necessary, is slide to frame fit the main variable I'm to look for on the Caspian?

SteveBrown

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/1/2017, 5:38 pm

SteveBrown wrote:Thanks for all of the input, I really appreciate it. Another question though... Since I'm sending whichever gun to a bullseye smith (that's another question) for new barrel and whatever else they deem necessary, is slide to frame fit the main variable I'm to look for on the Caspian?

RO shouldn't need a barrel, maybe just a tighter bushing, the Caspian might need barrel and bushing, frame to slide fit can be fixed by smith, RO probably won't need it done.  Bullseye trigger, chances are both will need it, but several RO owners I know haven't had any trigger work done other than adjust the spring for a 4lb pull.  RO fire control parts are ok, you have no idea what was used in the Caspian.

Count on the Caspian costing more than the RO to get to the same place.  If you are very lucky maybe only $200 more than the RO, if you are very unlucky like a poor barrel fit + frame +??, it could be >$800 more.

- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBrown 1/1/2017, 6:06 pm

Thanks Dave. So if when I order a RO it sounds like it will almost be bullseye ready from the factory??? There has already been a couple of recommendations as to who to send it to earlier in the thread so if I have it sent to one of them what should I expect to pay for the upgrades?
Thanks again for all the input!

SteveBrown

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 1/1/2017, 6:25 pm

SteveBrown wrote:Thanks Dave. So if when I order a RO it sounds like it will almost be bullseye ready from the factory??? There has already been a couple of recommendations as to who to send it to earlier in the thread so if I have it sent to one of them what should I expect to pay for the upgrades?
Thanks again for all the input!

me i would get a trigger job, checker front strap(replace main spring housing for non ILS), mount scope rib, and rebarrel.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/1/2017, 6:59 pm

In the morning if its not raining or too windy I am going to shoot 2 RO 9mm side by side. 1 just finished being built with Kart 9mm barrel and EGW parts that are replacing MIM parts (no stock parts left Smile ) and 2 a bone stock RO 9mm in virgin form. I will use a grip mounted optic and shoot both 115 and 147 factory Winchester ammunition at 25 yds from hand. I'll share my results.....eventually Smile
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBrown 1/1/2017, 8:27 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:In the morning if its not raining or too windy I am going to shoot 2 RO 9mm side by side. 1 just finished being built with Kart 9mm barrel and EGW parts that are replacing MIM parts (no stock parts left Smile ) and 2 a bone stock RO 9mm in virgin form. I will use a grip mounted optic and shoot both 115 and 147 factory Winchester ammunition at 25 yds from hand. I'll share my results.....eventually Smile
Jon
That would be great to see. I'm looking forward to seeing your results so hopefully "eventually" means ASAP over there where you're from Laughing!

SteveBrown

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/2/2017, 1:31 pm

Well the morning started well..........but my Ultradot I use on my grip mount broke! Kart barreled pistol was hammering and then windage took a crap. That's why I use Aimpoints on my match pistols! 
So test will be incomplete. Gotta ship the Kart RO back to owner tomorrow. 
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 1/2/2017, 1:39 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Well the morning started well..........but my Ultradot I use on my grip mount broke! Kart barreled pistol was hammering and then windage took a crap. That's why I use Aimpoints on my match pistols! 
Jon
Silly...ultradots are for kids

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by SW-52 1/2/2017, 1:54 pm

Jon Eulette wrote:Well the morning started well..........but my Ultradot I use on my grip mount broke! Kart barreled pistol was hammering and then windage took a crap. That's why I use Aimpoints on my match pistols! 
Jon
like Ultradot in my high standard,but for my .45,i will buy a Aimpoint.
SW-52
SW-52

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV 1/2/2017, 1:58 pm

For testing on a frame mount I would have put a 4X Leupold on it. But I'm old and my eyes suck. Crying or Very sad
LenV
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/2/2017, 2:37 pm

I can still ragged one hole with red dot optics and grip mount. Damn scope has to work though:)
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 1/2/2017, 4:00 pm

I thought Ultra Dot was the standard for years and that many still use an Ultra Dot on their 45's. I had planned on using am Ultra Dot on my 45 especially due to the cost compared to an Aimpoint. Are Ultra Dot's frowned upon today for center/45 use?
Tim:H11
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli 1/2/2017, 4:14 pm

Tim:H11 wrote:I thought Ultra Dot was the standard for years and that many still use an Ultra Dot on their 45's. I had planned on using am Ultra Dot on my 45 especially due to the cost compared to an Aimpoint. Are Ultra Dot's frowned upon today for center/45 use?
They are great for the cost and many top shooters still use them.  I just like to rag on them...but on a side note Jon isn't the first person I know of to have one fail, some have had them fail at matches. 

Also.. I bought a match dot last year and it had negative magnification...but the old ones seem better.

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 1/2/2017, 4:37 pm

This is 3rd UD I've had fail. One cost me winning a pistol!
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins 1/2/2017, 5:28 pm

Stuff happens with any product made by Man.
It is just that some products or Lots are better than others.
Welcome to the world of manufacturing, quality control and man power/employees.
And do not under estimate the end users ability to make stuff happen also.

Only issue that I have ever had and seen the same with fellow shooters is the dot will go out during a string of fire.
Learned that when turning the brightness setting knob that is also the battery compartment and contacts you should only go in the clockwise direction only.
Yes, I said "only" twice.
Repaired mine and others over the years by rapidly turning the knob clockwise which tightens the battery contacts.
(Only turn the brightness knob clockwise to the level you want, then shut it off turning clockwise. Do not back up 5 clicks to turn it off but go the extra 7 clicks clockwise to turn it off;just an example).
Never noticed negative magnification in any of mine, maybe I got lucky with the good ones.
Sold off my UD's to buyers that wanted to send it back if it had this problem, they told me it was good, so I guess mine were fine by my random purchase.
All in all get a UD and drive on.
They are the best bang for the buck Smile
Personally I am experimenting with the cheaper Aimpoint knock offs(Holosun) cause I am older, do not shoot as much and cannot afford an H1 or 2 or 3(used to own an H1 though but sold it).

Good luck in moving up the ranks.
Have fun while also being very serious about your shooting.
You can make master in a couple years or less if you focus on the fundamentals.

Clarence
C.Perkins
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 1/2/2017, 6:34 pm

Ultradot is still the #1 used red dot in bullseye. Ive never had one fail that i can remember that wasnt just a dead battery issue. But if you go on the net you can buy 2032 batteries for less than 50cents each so i change them often and that ends the dead battery problem.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down