Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Powder burn rate and case capacity effect on accuracy?

+7
SteveT
james r chapman
rich.tullo
Wobbley
r_zerr
10sandxs
mpolans
11 posters

Go down

Powder burn rate and case capacity effect on accuracy? Empty Powder burn rate and case capacity effect on accuracy?

Post by mpolans 1/5/2017, 2:04 pm

It seems the most popular loads in bullseye tend to use faster powders, but has anyone actually studied if whether loads with faster or slower powders have any effect on accuracy?

Sort of related, it seems that most loads with faster powders seem to have smaller volume charges, while loads for a similar velocity with slower powders tend to higher volume charges.  I would think loads that take up greater volume in a case would tend to be more consistent and more accurate. Has anyone done any testing on this?

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Powder burn rate and case capacity effect on accuracy? Empty Re: Powder burn rate and case capacity effect on accuracy?

Post by 10sandxs 1/5/2017, 2:45 pm

But you have to use more of the slower powders, and many of us are... ahem.. frugal...

10sandxs

Back to top Go down

Powder burn rate and case capacity effect on accuracy? Empty Re: Powder burn rate and case capacity effect on accuracy?

Post by r_zerr 1/5/2017, 2:58 pm

The faster powders provide the pressures needed and functionality for the low velocities typically desired. 
If one were to use a slower powder, the pressures would be lower, larger velocity variation, and lots more un-burnt powder.

-Ron

r_zerr

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 1/5/2017, 4:10 pm

Years ago Ken Waters of Handloader magazine did that.  He found that powders as slow as Unique worked well.  This was in 38 with 148 WC.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 1/5/2017, 4:27 pm

Slower powders, I found that W231 is very accurate but try shooting matches with it its about as sooty as can be under 5 gns. After a few shots you cannot see the red dot. 

VV320 is cleaner but you have to load to 4.5 gns or more to make it work where as WST is just as clean and softer at 4.1 gns.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/5/2017, 5:21 pm

WW231 is world class at 3.1 gr and 148hbwc. Millions of rounds proving it.
As BE is also.

You want 70% case capacity? Trail Boss donuts.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveT 1/5/2017, 5:33 pm

I think one of the reasons Clays and WST are good powders is because they take up more volume and are less susceptible to position in the case. I've measured huge differences in velocity (150-200fps) using Titegroup by tipping the pistol forward or backward before the shot. I still use TG for service pistol and blasting ammo because I have several pounds (see note above about frugality) but have switched almost entirely to low density powders and I'm planning to work up some loads using IMR Trail Boss, now that it's available again.
SteveT
SteveT

https://sites.google.com/site/sdturner/shooting

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning 1/5/2017, 5:50 pm

Nice to see Clays mentioned, it doesn't seem to get much attention around here.  45 takes 3.6gr for a 200gr SWC & for .38 special either 2.5gr in a 148 gr HBWC or 2.9gr for the 158gr SWC.  Very accurate in my guns and not temp sensitive like many are.  I always thought is was cleaner than Bullseye.

It was pretty hard to find for a while so I switched over to WST last year (Clays is in stock at Powder Valley now).
- Dave
dronning
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by james r chapman 1/5/2017, 6:04 pm

ClayDot is another one the worked great in .38 and .45

found the light 2.0-2.4 gr .38 loads didn't like to meter well in the Lee Discs so I discontinued.
james r chapman
james r chapman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 1/5/2017, 10:14 pm

james r chapman wrote:WW231 is world class at 3.1 gr and 148hbwc. Millions of rounds proving it.
As BE is also.

You want 70% case capacity? Trail Boss donuts.
I agree I was just referring to 45acp BE loads under 5.0 GN. 

Nearly everything is dirty with a 38 special except for WST and VVN320. 

If you want to fill the case up Nosler says AA5 is the most accurate powder for the 185gn HP
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by joy2shoot 1/6/2017, 7:57 am

SteveT wrote:I think one of the reasons Clays and WST are good powders is because they take up more volume and are less susceptible to position in the case. I've measured huge differences in velocity (150-200fps) using Titegroup by tipping the pistol forward or backward before the shot...

That's good to know since Titegroup's advertising says "powder position in large cases (45 Colt, 357 Magnum and others) has virtually no effect on velocity and performance".

joy2shoot

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 1/6/2017, 1:35 pm

Hmm, so for less dense, slower burning powders, it sounds like AA5, Trail Boss, Unique, Clays, and WST are some options.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 1/6/2017, 2:32 pm

mpolans wrote:Hmm, so for less dense, slower burning powders, it sounds like AA5, Trail Boss, Unique, Clays, and WST are some options.

I would not call WST a slow powder!
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by desben 1/6/2017, 2:37 pm

r_zerr wrote:The faster powders provide the pressures needed and functionality for the low velocities typically desired. 

That! You want pressure to properly upset the bullet and seat it in the barrel grooves, but you don't want the velocity which increases recoil. Slower powders would either give too much velocity or not enough pressure. There's a sweet spot in the relation between bullet hardness, pressure and accuracy.
desben
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by messenger 1/6/2017, 6:17 pm

If you want to fill the case up Nosler says AA5 is the most accurate powder for the 185gn HP

My Les Baer ransoms right about an inch with 8.5gr AA#5 under a Nosler JHP
messenger
messenger

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 1/7/2017, 1:55 pm

desben wrote:
r_zerr wrote:The faster powders provide the pressures needed and functionality for the low velocities typically desired. 

That! You want pressure to properly upset the bullet and seat it in the barrel grooves, but you don't want the velocity which increases recoil. Slower powders would either give too much velocity or not enough pressure. There's a sweet spot in the relation between bullet hardness, pressure and accuracy.
Ah, but the other factor I was considering was a compensator. Traditionally, the knock on them for bullseye is that the most popular .45acp loadings don't produce the gas volume to make it worthwhile. I'm wondering if using slower less dense powders (and lighter bullets) will yield more consistent velocities and as good or greater accuracy, while also making a compensator more effective, which should help on timed and rapid fire. 

I've noticed someone else talking about using 155gr. SWC bullets (not related to compensators), and while I have my doubts about their potential accuracy, what with their smaller bearing surface, if they're accurate, I know they will have a noticeable effect in a compensated gun based on my circa late 1980s IPSC experience with the old Vic 152gr SWCs (for those of us who were to scared to run major power factor .38 super when it was new on the scene).

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo 1/9/2017, 9:14 am

I tried a Clark Barrel and Comp once, I did not gain any accuracy and it was unreliable under 4.0 gn BE with a #10 recoil spring. I seem to recall 4.5 WST was the round it cycles. 

150s with 4.8 gn of BE or 5 gn of wst may do it but will it print at 50 yards and if the comp gets dirty will it become less accurate? 

If you are looking at reducing recoil 3.6 of BE over a 185 HP LSWC is pretty manageable.
rich.tullo
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans 1/9/2017, 11:32 am

rich.tullo wrote:I tried a Clark Barrel and Comp once, I did not gain any accuracy and it was unreliable under 4.0 gn BE with a #10 recoil spring. I seem to recall 4.5 WST was the round it cycles. 

150s with 4.8 gn of BE or 5 gn of wst may do it but will it print at 50 yards and if the comp gets dirty will it become less accurate? 

If you are looking at reducing recoil 3.6 of BE over a 185 HP LSWC is pretty manageable.
Out of curiosity, when you tried the Clark comp, were you also using a slide-mounted optic?

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down