Multi-color options of Wood Composite 3D-printed grips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Multi-color options of Wood Composite 3D-printed grips

Post by BerryhillAC on 1/6/2017, 10:51 pm

If you haven’t taken a look at my website recently for Precision Target Pistol Grips, I invite you to spend a few minutes to see all the new options available for 2017.  I made nearly 200 grips in 2016 and have now posted pictures of many of them.  For 2017 one of the most exciting new options is the ability to print using a variety of different color wood composites: such as walnut, cherry and maple.  And if you try a wood composite grip and don’t agree that it feels like wood in your hand, I’ll gladly refund the modest price of the wood upgrade over the standard 3D-printed materials.

Don’t wait 12 weeks to get a grip from Europe you hope will fit.  Most of my orders are turned around in two weeks or less and at a price much less than others.  It doesn’t matter if you shoot ISSF, Bullseye, Daisy, Pardini, or anything else.  XXS to XL, left, right, cross-eye dominant, and red, white and blue, I’ve made them all and am ready to make one for you. 

Let me know if you have any questions,

Andrew

[url=PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com]PrecisionTargetPistolGrips.com[/url]
Custom Grips for All Hands and Most Guns
Attachments
GSP with wood 3-color sq.jpg You don't have permission to download attachments.(42 Kb) Downloaded 11 times

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Re: Multi-color options of Wood Composite 3D-printed grips

Post by Aprilian on 1/7/2017, 10:37 am

Congrats on your success.

I like the different wood option!  Can you do it as layers so that it looks like a traditional wood laminate grip?
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC on 1/7/2017, 5:39 pm

Ian,

I'd never considered that!  Thanks for the great idea.  The multicolor grips you see on my site are printed in layers put down horizontally by the printer.  Every wood laminate pistol grip I've ever seen has the layers run vertically, with them stacked left to right - a direction that makes sense to best show-off the contour of the colors.  

But there is no reason why I couldn't rotate the grip on the printer, add more layers and create something similar...  So I guess the answer to your question is yes.  If you'd like one, just let me know what colors you're interested in.  It could be a laminate of different wood composites, or a mixture of a wood composite and a PLA color.

All best,

Andrew

Custom Target Pistol Grips for All Hands and Most Guns

Last edited by BerryhillAC on 1/7/2017, 5:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fix typo)

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian on 1/7/2017, 7:52 pm

Thanks Andrew. I'm working on my wood grips to get perfect fit.  Then I can consider having you duplicate it for my other pistols.   Post a picture if you build a grip in the other orientation.
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC on 1/7/2017, 7:57 pm

Will do.  I'm designing a very cool idea now based on what you suggested.  It will be like a laminate grip, but with a twist in the design that is only possible with a 3Dprinter.  Stay tuned!

Andrew

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 1/7/2017, 8:54 pm

Post a picture of mine so everyone will be jealous please. Or not Smile Had mine made in "Duck" colors.
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 on 1/7/2017, 8:56 pm

Jealous or not - duck colors? ... I'd love to see.
Tim:H11

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC on 1/7/2017, 8:59 pm

Patience, please, gentlemen.   Len's Ducky grip will be done shortly.  I'll let him unveil it to the world.  I wouldn't want to steal his quack.

Andrew

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by Jack H on 1/7/2017, 10:51 pm

Andrew
Can you combine an Hammerli 480K Hi-Grip exterior onto a Steyr LP10 interior grip? 

I might want to do Duck colors myself but probably better do Beaver colors as the pistol will be donated to OSU later when I get real old.

Size would be large to X-large for hand width (100cm), but the girth needs to be Med to large.  It's either get a new grip or chop on the Nil I got. 

Here is the Hammerli pistol.
BTW - Anybody know of new tanks like this?  The two I have are 20 years old.  The Steyr tanks are 5 years old and still match legal. 
Jack H

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette on 1/7/2017, 11:02 pm

That air cylinder looks more like it should have some Jack Daniels in it instead of air!
Jon
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo on 1/8/2017, 5:38 am

They look good
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by BerryhillAC on 1/8/2017, 7:50 am

Jack,

Thanks for your interest in my grips.  Within the bounds of the basic gun frame geometry of would the frame poke through the grip, I can put just about any grip on just about any gun.  Disparate original grip angles (1911 vs Pardini) do require some cosmetic or reconstructive surgery in the CAD department.  However in your case, the Styer and Hammerli have similar grip angles, small grip frames and you've got a big hand.  Those issues combined allow a tremendous amount of freedom to do any sort of shaping and sizing you want.  

One question I will ask is if you will be shooting ISSF matches.  If so, your big hand will result in the grip loosing a good bit of thumb and palm rest real estate in order to fit 50 mm rule.  You also may run into issues of how long front to back and ISSF's 420mm max length requirement.  But if you only shoot NRA matches, neither are an issue.

Looking at your Hammerli grip's exterior, I gather you've not modified it much, if at all. Am I correct in understanding you just want to move that grip to the LP10?  If so, I don't think you need to go to the extent of a "scan and reproduce" and instead we can just take the measurements off of it to recreate it for the LP10.

As for colors, I've learned to become pretty ecumenical there.  I went to school in Ann Arbor, coach at a another Big Ten school and have made grips for both MSU and OSO.  So Beaver or Duck?  It's your call.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

All best,
Andrew

Custom Target Pistol Grips for All Hands and Most Guns

BerryhillAC

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 on 1/8/2017, 11:43 am

Jon Eulette wrote:That air cylinder looks more like it should have some Jack Daniels in it instead of air!
Jon

+1

well at least Jim Bean in my case
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum