Winchester Primers

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winchester Primers

Post by Darrell Cox on 1/19/2017, 8:43 pm

First topic message reminder :

Am I the only one having problems with Winchester primers as of late?  I seem to have at least one or two that go in upside down, sideways, or otherwise don't seat properly in every 200 rounds or so.  I have been a Winchester Primer user for years with no problems.  I have tried cleaning the press, putting light pressure on the primer column when loading the primers in the press, overall being careful while loading tubes and the press.

At the last 1800 indoor match I talked to others who also reload and some have stated they also have had problems with Winchester Primers.  One shooter suggested using Federal primers.  Darn, I have lots of Winchester primers and it seems Federal are harder to get/find.

So, I got my hands on Federal primers and I tried them yesterday.  I loaded 500 rounds without a hitch.  Now I'm beginning to believe that Winchester quality control is slipping.  Anyone else with these observations?

Darrell Cox

Back to top Go down

Re: Winchester Primers

Post by JayhawkNavy02 on 1/29/2017, 10:03 pm

Magload wrote:
Virgil Kane wrote:You didn't say what type of press you are using.

I was having the same problem with my Dillon 650 and wanted to blame everything but myself. In loading 100 rounds I would get as many as 7-12 primers that were flipped or sideways. I called Dillon and they had no answer. After all's said and done it was operator error from trying to go fast and not being smooth. I was pulling the lever like it was the dollar slot machine in Vegas. Once I slowed down and worked the lever smoother the problem went away.   YMMV

Virgil

I am using a Dillion 550 and the problem is in loading the refill tubes.  That is where the one in a 100 is jamming.  It is right at the point where the plastic pick up part meats the metal tube.  It is just like that one doesn't want to fit up into the tube.  It then needs to be pushed out from the other end after dumping the tube into the 550 primer feed tube.  Never have had a flipper primer while reloading but then in operate the press petty slow.  Don

I have a 650 and was having trouble with Winchester LPPs.  Called Dillon, replaced some parts, cleaned my entire priming assembly.
Much better, but not fixed.
There are still about 1-2 per 100 that are so large they won't go into the tube. That has nothing to do with the press.
Winchester quality control is UNSAT.  Dillon said they're fielding a large number of complaints from owners and Winchester is a common theme.
This sleeve will be my last, and I'll probably never buy them again.  Going back to CCI or Wolf Match.
JayhawkNavy02

Back to top Go down

Post by desben on 1/30/2017, 5:21 am

On Winchester QA... I shoot a lot of their bulk 22 for practice. Most of it is accurate enough and reliable. But maybe a box in 20 (different batches) will have one dud per 10 rounds. Like they forgot to prime that day. Then with different boxes I'll go 3,000 rounds without a problem... Inconsistent!
desben

Back to top Go down

Post by jglenn21 on 1/30/2017, 11:19 am

While I still use quite a few Win I have found the Wolf to be very good
jglenn21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2