Buying a Used Rock River Arms Wad Gun

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Buying a Used Rock River Arms Wad Gun

Post by daflorc on 1/20/2017, 6:34 pm

Hello,

I just purchased this RRA wad gun off gunbroker. I've never bought anything off that site before - the seller has 35 previous positive transactions, seems to be a FFL on the side, and a obstetrician (judging by his email) as his day job. I couldn't pass up this deal, got it for $1,575. Been wanting one of these for awhile. Anything I should be concerned about? Seller says gently used - if I get it from my FFL and it turns out to be a rattle trap, is there any recourse? Thanks for any advice. 

Dave
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-01-20 at 6.33.24 PM.png You don't have permission to download attachments.(429 Kb) Downloaded 42 times

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Re: Buying a Used Rock River Arms Wad Gun

Post by Eddie 500 on 1/20/2017, 8:47 pm

sometimes the seller will list his return policy somewhere in the ad. Ive had good luck w gunbroker. Hopefully you will also Cool

Eddie 500

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo on 1/21/2017, 6:55 am

Should be Ok I would I consider a 95%-100% gun gently used 100% blueing with one or two minor handling marks. 

Round count should be in the 500 to 3000 range but its hard to tell with a properly build wad gun. As long as there is no play in the barrel and the bushing that gun will hold under 3 inches with good ammo. 

Under $1600 is a good price today they are asking $2500 in any case you have a great set of parts if it needs to be rebuilt. a Les Baer frame and slide will cost you about $1000.
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jersey Joe on 1/21/2017, 9:11 am

What you CAN do is strip the gun and check the numbers on the parts. All of my RRA 1911's have every part numbered the same. I guess that could be faked pretty easy, but you'll be able to see the quality of the parts also.

Jersey Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc on 1/21/2017, 1:17 pm

Thanks for the advice, I'm just waiting on the seller to respond. Seems his number doesn't work and he hasn't opened his email yet.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans on 1/21/2017, 1:19 pm

If all is well with it, that sounds like a steal. The few I've seen for sale used are around $2000 or so.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on 1/21/2017, 1:38 pm

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by LenV on 1/21/2017, 3:19 pm

Someone has to say it. At that price I hope you actually get a pistol. If it sounds to good to be true I worry.

Len
LenV

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins on 1/21/2017, 3:42 pm

No Christopher, not the same gun.

I will do some research in my spare time but I do believe I know the owner and have held that gun.
It is an early RR just like the one I used to own when I first started.
If it is indeed the gentleman that I think it is then yes, the $1911. price tag is appreciated Smile
In the day not so long ago, RR was producing some very accurate .45 wad guns, as I owned one.
Then they entered the AR15 market.
Good for them, all about business.
Now they are coming back out with the .45 wad guns at a higher price.
Question is...?
Are they as good as the earlier guns ?
That low serial numbered RR on Gun Broker if it is who I think it is, is the real deal.

Just my .02 cents sitting here watching the snow melt and drinking a beer  Laughing
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc on 1/21/2017, 3:46 pm

LenV wrote:Someone has to say it. At that price I hope you actually get a pistol. If it sounds to good to be true I worry.

Len
I feel the same way, but I jumped on it due to the sellers positive feedback other buyers have listed on his Gunbroker account.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc on 1/21/2017, 3:48 pm

C.Perkins wrote:

I will do some research in my spare time but I do believe I know the owner and have held that gun.
If it is indeed the gentleman that I think it is then yes, the $1911. price tag is appreciated Smile
In the day not so long ago, RR was producing some very accurate .45 wad guns, as I owned one.
Question is...?
That low serial numbered RR on Gun Broker if it is who I think it is, is the real deal.

Just my .02 cents sitting here watching the snow melt and drinking a beer  Laughing
I'm hoping it is the same gun that you've held and seller that you have met, that would settle my nerves a little! I haven't heard from him yet since I clicked buy it now, which was yesterday late afternoon.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by C.Perkins on 1/21/2017, 4:09 pm

daflorc wrote:
C.Perkins wrote:

Question is...?

I'm hoping it is the same gun that you've held and seller that you have met, that would settle my nerves a little! I haven't heard from him yet since I clicked buy it now, which was yesterday late afternoon.

I do not think we are talking about the same guns here.
Your picture is not the same as the post on Gun Broker that Christopher posted and not the same seller name.
And a different serial number to boot.
C.Perkins

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc on 1/21/2017, 5:02 pm

C.Perkins wrote:

I do not think we are talking about the same guns here.
Your picture is not the same as the post on Gun Broker that Christopher posted and not the same seller name.
And a different serial number to boot.
Oh ok, I think I misunderstood.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Rock River 45

Post by Dipnet on 2/5/2017, 5:27 pm

I shoot a RR Limited Match converted to a wad gun and I love it and you will love yours and you got a decent deal to boot. It should be very accurate; just add a scope and a 12-lb spring. For loads, Long Line: 185-gr Zero JHP, 4.5gr VV N310, Starline brass, Fed or Win primer, OAL 1.200; Short line: 185 gr Zero HP-LSWC, Starline brass, 3.9 gr Bullseye, seat bullet to edge shoulder. Your pistol with respective loads should shoot less than 1-inch at 25 and less than 2 inches at 50 yards. Shoot and enjoy, dipnet
Dipnet

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on 2/5/2017, 6:34 pm

So did you get the gun?
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc on 2/5/2017, 9:56 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:So did you get the gun?
I've been on a cruise all week, the gun came to the FFL Tuesday. I'm going to try and pick it up tomorrow - however, there seems to be an issue with the sellers paperwork. My FFL says his FFL is expired, which is an issue since its an out of state sale. I'll find out more tomorrow what the deal is, but the good thing is that the gun is in the FFL's hands, and they say it looks brand new.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans on 2/6/2017, 1:01 pm

If the seller'a FFL is expired, that shouldn't present a legal problem under Federal law; if your (buyer's) FFL is expired, that's a problem.

That said, FFLs like to invent their own little rules requiring sellers to ship to them via an FFL...I don't waste my money with those folks.

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Miceli on 2/6/2017, 1:04 pm

mpolans wrote:If the seller'a FFL is expired, that shouldn't present a legal problem under Federal law; if your (buyer's) FFL is expired, that's a problem.

That said, FFLs like to invent their own little rules requiring sellers to ship to them via an FFL...I don't waste my money with those folks.

Some FFLs are very odd... i just dealt with one that wanted the seller to contact them to get a email copy of the FFL. They wouldn't give it to me.  So i emailed them and they sent me a copy that i forwarded to the seller.
Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Post by rich.tullo on 2/6/2017, 1:10 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:
mpolans wrote:If the seller'a FFL is expired, that shouldn't present a legal problem under Federal law; if your (buyer's) FFL is expired, that's a problem.

Some FFLs are very odd... i just dealt with one that wanted the seller to contact them to get a email copy of the FFL. They wouldn't give it to me.  So i emailed them and they sent me a copy that i forwarded to the seller.
Some of these rules are due to state laws......Gubment keeping the man down
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc on 2/7/2017, 10:27 am

Chris Miceli wrote:So did you get the gun?

Just got the thing. A couple very minor scuffs and scratches, overall in great shape. Requires a bushing wrench, kart barrel has some very pronounced rifling. Lock up is like butter, frame to slide fit has zero vertical play, an almost imperceptible amount of horizontal play, which I hear doen't have a huge effect on accuracy. Need to put some target grips on, a flat trigger in (almost all my pistols are, like to keep it consistent) and KC's roll trigger kit, which I've found to be amazingly helpful in sustained fire. Did not come with a magazine - I used my RO's magazines with the Wilson followers - some rounds nosedive into the feed ramp, which is already throated. Anyone know of 1911 mags that direct the round at more of an angle? I still need to look into the 3 different mag types I was told about in another thread. I was able to get a couple sub 1" 25 yard groups of 3 offhand. I find it to be worthless to sight these guns in off the bench, without something like a ransom rest.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by bmize1 on 2/7/2017, 1:59 pm

My RRA was gun runs 100% with Wilson mags(over10k rds I have shot). It came (used) with shooting star mags and they ran fine the little I used them.

bmize1

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc on 2/7/2017, 3:45 pm

bmize1 wrote:My RRA was gun runs 100% with Wilson mags(over10k rds I have shot). It came (used) with shooting star mags and they ran fine the little I used them.

What's the weight on your recoil spring, and are you using a heavy optic like a matchdot?

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by bmize1 on 2/7/2017, 4:19 pm

Have a 30mm match dot, slide mounted, 12lb spring. 3.8 BE w/185 swc

bmize1

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc on 2/7/2017, 5:41 pm

bmize1 wrote:Have a 30mm match dot, slide mounted, 12lb spring. 3.8 BE w/185 swc

Thanks. I'm pretty certain its my mag followers that are causing my issues. To have the same issue in two high quality guns using the same mags is no coincidence.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by mpolans on 2/8/2017, 12:04 am

Sounds like you got a steal!

mpolans

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next