Buying a Used Rock River Arms Wad Gun

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Buying a Used Rock River Arms Wad Gun

Post by daflorc on 1/20/2017, 6:34 pm

First topic message reminder :

Hello,

I just purchased this RRA wad gun off gunbroker. I've never bought anything off that site before - the seller has 35 previous positive transactions, seems to be a FFL on the side, and a obstetrician (judging by his email) as his day job. I couldn't pass up this deal, got it for $1,575. Been wanting one of these for awhile. Anything I should be concerned about? Seller says gently used - if I get it from my FFL and it turns out to be a rattle trap, is there any recourse? Thanks for any advice. 

Dave

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Re: Buying a Used Rock River Arms Wad Gun

Post by rich.tullo on 2/8/2017, 12:13 pm

mpolans wrote:Sounds like you got a steal!
+1 

Try new recoil Spring first. 

I had a Madore that someone re-barreled (switched up the barrel by accident I suspect he had 2) and the gun was not running. Mags were about  50% of the problem the other 50% was the sum of the: extractor 25% my loads 10%, and the guide rod 10%. Took a year to get that gun to shoot now it hammers the X Ring. 

I would change the recoil spring first to a #10 or #11 it could be the slide is not going back far enough. If its not locking back on the last round definitely change the recoil spring. 

Then check the ammo. The rounds should drop right into the chamber once the barrel is removed. The rounds could be too long or short http://www.handgunforum.net/handloading-reloading/33448-1911-45-acp-case-length-headspace-questions.html If they do not drop in you may need more taper. 

Once you establish its not working with the new recoil springs and ammo then go to the mags. I only had luck with Wilson followers in Factory guns. If you do not want to buy new mags Metal Form also sells just the followers. 

http://www.brownells.com/magazines/handgun-magazines/magazines/1911-45acp-magazines-prod71636.aspx

If its sill nosing see what kind of mag catch you have. If its a standard size try a high one. I happen to have a high one for sale from another project. If there is no gap between the bottom of the mag in the front and the mag well chances are you already have a high one if there is a gap you have a standard or lower one. Dawson and EGW make the High Catches and I know Dawson's drop in. 

If the first two do not work or work somewhat check the extractor. 

Do all changes sequentially because if you change more than on thing at a time the gun may drive you crazy. 

Last, check your lube. If the gun is tight and its cold out some lubes may work better than others. I am using Lucas now and have had good luck, CLP was bad, Remoil was bad for my gun, Canola was great for cleanliness but not great for function like CLP. 

That Madore, when I got it would not shoot 3 times in a row. Then it went to about 10 fails per 100 rounds. Then it went to 5 fails per 100, 

Now its running about 1000 rounds with no fails as long as I clean it about every 300 rounds if I am shooting Bullseye powder.
rich.tullo

Back to top Go down

Post by bmize1 on 2/8/2017, 12:50 pm

Yes,change mag springs before you start messing with anything else. Use plenty of lite oil on rails, barrel hood and end of barrel where bushing meets barrel. 
Then check your ammo, buy some zero or ATL arms factory loads as test ammo.
The RRA guns you read about usually run flawless.

bmize1

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc on 2/8/2017, 2:23 pm

As soon as I got the RRA I put in a 12lbs recoil spring, which should let the gun with the matchdot function just fine. It goes fully into battery each shot. When I slowly let the slide forward on a live round, it is obvious that the SMC round is nose diving straight into the bevel on the barrel. My rounds are seated at 1.235, which is spec for the round according to Lymans. Any longer it won't fit in my magazines. There is no gap between the bottom of the mag well and the lip of the mag. I'm pretty certain its the magazine followers that I installed. I ordered some new ones, we'll see how they do. If the gun functions, I know it was the followers. I use lubriplate SFL-0 in all my guns, it works great, its a very thin light grease, and I'm shooting at indoor ranges so temperature doesn't affect its viscosity. Ammo is Xtreme bullets, which are very consistent. I've worked my loads out - 4.8 grains of HP-38 is the minimum that either the RRA or RO can handle reliably, going down to 4.5 or 4.6, I start getting malfunctions, as I have 12lbs recoil springs, steel Leupold rings, and matchdots - so that's about 9 or 10 ounces sitting on top of the slide, including the rail. I'll update when I get the new followers in the mail. I'm pretty certain that will solve my issues, since I'm having the exact same issue in both the RRA and RO, and I'm using the same two magazines in both guns.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by bmize1 on 2/8/2017, 3:36 pm

Sounds like you are on the correct path. I just didn't want you to start tweeking the gun parts( mag catch or extractor) before you were sure it was not mags or ammo. 

I love my RRA, I bought it used not knowing anything about a wadgun, ran 5000 rounds through it in the last 1 1/2 years, just changed the recoil spring for the first time a few weeks ago. I think I've had 2 ftf in that time and both were ammo.

bmize1

Back to top Go down

Post by daflorc on 2/9/2017, 4:04 pm

bmize1 wrote:Sounds like you are on the correct path. I just didn't want you to start tweeking the gun parts( mag catch or extractor) before you were sure it was not mags or ammo. 

I love my RRA, I bought it used not knowing anything about a wadgun, ran 5000 rounds through it in the last 1 1/2 years, just changed the recoil spring for the first time a few weeks ago. I think I've had 2 ftf in that time and both were ammo.

Thanks, I appreciate it. It's taken some doing, tweaking my range officer and load to get to where it functions reliably with light loads and semi wadcutter rounds. I'm looking forward to dialing in the RRA to use in 50 yard competition.

daflorc

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum