Parkinson's and shooting?

Go down

Parkinson's and shooting?

Post by ANDYZ28 on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:19 am

I have recently been diagnosed with Parkinson's. I am one of the unfortunate souls who was stationed at Camp LeJune during the bad water time frame ('53-'87). My question is that I want to return to Bullseye Pistol. BUT some things are a problem, do I have to go down range and score/replace targets myself, or can someone do it for me?

Thanks, Andy

ANDYZ28

http://www.andyz28.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Parkinson's and shooting?

Post by Wobbley on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:30 am

That would come under a reasonable accommodation.  I'd get a letter from the NRA stating such.  DirComp is the NRA Director of competitions and he's a member of this forum.  Send him a PM to ask how does this happen.
Wobbley

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X on Wed Feb 08, 2017 9:37 am

I don't know about other matches, but in our area, we try our best to accommodate any shooters. Competitors on the line with you will help out, at least they do around here. Just let the Match Director know your needs or concerns. Have Fun, shoot safe.

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by Aprilian on Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:23 am

At our club that would not be a problem as the person shooting on the far left gets scored by a range officer to avoid the person on the far right running back and forth.   Just request the Match director station you at the firing position which is scored by a RO.   I would be interested to hear if somehow your tremors reduce while concentrating on shooting as I have seen some very interesting videos about motion (specifically dancing and riding a bicycle) short-circuiting the part of the brain that causes the tremors.

I applaud your continuing to indulge in your passions!  Best of luck.
Aprilian

Back to top Go down

Post by willnewton on Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:17 pm

Go shooting any way you can.  Every Thursday afternoon I stand next to my shooting buddy with Parkinson's.  He uses two hands when needed and has consistently shot great scores with .22 pistol, often winning some League Nights.

About three weeks ago he switched to singlehand shooting!  Yes, his scores dropped initially, but he has been coming back stronger each week.

I will say that he is not as comfortable shooting singlehanded centerfire and .45, so prefers two handed for that or sticking with .22.  He also competes in archery and rifle as well!  

We shoot 25-yard indoor with powered target retrievers, so you may want to start with that if you can find a place doing it.

I would also mention my other Bullseye shooters I stand with weekly.  One has an artificial leg and another has a paralyzed left arm.  At other venues I have shot next to folks in wheelchairs.

As long as you can shoot safely, any group worth shooting with will do what they can to get you on the line.
willnewton
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jmdavis on Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:15 pm

Andy, come to the matches at Cavalier. We will figure something out.

Mike Davis
jmdavis

Back to top Go down

Post by john bickar on Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:20 am

I've never been to a bullseye match where reasonable accommodations haven't been made for shooters with disabilities.

One of my heroes growing up was a shooter (a member of this forum) in a wheelchair who consistently shot Master scores. He shot many of the matches in OH/PA/NY/WV, including Camp Perry.

The one exception was a few years ago in CA we had a guy on a bunch of pain meds who insisted on handling loaded firearms while other people were downrange, and got quite belligerent when I insisted that he stop doing that. He doesn't shoot with us anymore.
john bickar

Back to top Go down

Post by JIMPGOV on Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:24 am

A FEW YEARS AGO AT PERRY I SHOT NEXT TO A MAN WHO WALKED WITH 2 CANES. I WAS ASKED BY LINE OFFICIALS IF I MINDED SCORING 2 TARGETS. OF COURSE I DID NOT MIND . THE DISABLED SHOOTER ACCEPTED HIS SCORES WITHOUT COMPLAINT . HE NEVER LEFT THE BENCH. I WOULD JUST BRING BACK HIS TARGET FOR HIM AFTER IT WAS SCORED. IT'S EASY TO MAKE REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS FOR PEOPLE. JP

JIMPGOV

Back to top Go down

Post by ANDYZ28 on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:13 am

I am continuing with Bullseye pistol for the time being, the arrival of Camp Perry has slowed me down a bit. I have noticed several things, I cannot seem to hold the pistol up for very long as would be required for 50 yards, and many of my shots in rapid are somewhat erratic. I think I have finally overcome the jerking the trigger by working on my "dry firing" more diligently. My friends at the local Cavalier Gun club have been helpful, as well as club membership at Fairfax Gun Club. I experienced something of a setback recently as I had a seizure and cannot drive until November. 

I think I will need to get a lighter pistol, so I dropped off my Beretta  to David Sam's last month for the full workup. Yes I know it will be expensive and time consuming but I seem to have nothing but time anyway.

This was just a brief update as I progress through this. I would love to hear from those who have this damned disease.  

Thanks, Andy

ANDYZ28

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces on Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:09 pm

At Perry a few years back I had the pleasure of shooting next to an 80+ year old gentleman who had been coming to Perry longer than most of those on the line were old. It was one of those years when the mud was really bad and he had trouble getting to the 50 yard line to score and repair. Several of us took turns scoring and replacing his targets. We never received a single comment or complaint from any line official, even the one who is usually buttoned up so tight that he squeaks.
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by dronning on Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:36 pm

AllAces wrote:At Perry a few years back I had the pleasure of shooting next to an 80+ year old gentleman who had been coming to Perry longer than most of those on the line were old. It was one of those years when the mud was really bad and he had trouble getting to the 50 yard line to score and repair. Several of us took turns scoring and replacing his targets. We never received a single comment or complaint from any line official, even the one who is usually buttoned up so tight that he squeaks.
I remember him, never met him but one of the line judges told several of us during a break that the older gentleman had been coming there for 1 year more than he was old and he was either 61 or 62.
- Dave
dronning

Back to top Go down

Post by DonBrummer on Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:03 pm

My league has an older shooter with Parkinson's and his tremors are severe but he shoots safely.  Every shooter on the line gladly helps hanging targets, scoring, carrying his gear, and assisting him with setup during the prep period.  I encourage you to continue shooting as everyone around you will gladly assist and accommodate.
DonBrummer

Back to top Go down

Post by ANDYZ28 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:15 am

Thanks, gentleman, I had a much more severe episode this weekend "severe shaking" has appeared. I have messaged the Dr.

ANDYZ28

Back to top Go down

Post by GaryWWhite on Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:18 am

Hi Andy,
I will be praying for you!
Gary

GaryWWhite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content