Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need Help With Revolver Double Action

+3
rreid
Chris Miceli
Tim:H11
7 posters

Go down

Need Help With Revolver Double Action Empty Need Help With Revolver Double Action

Post by Tim:H11 2/10/2017, 7:51 pm

For some reason mybfeobt sight jumps to the right when the shot breaks. Why? This is noticed in dry fire practice. I'm using a S&W Model 14-3.

Back to top Go down

Need Help With Revolver Double Action Empty Re: Need Help With Revolver Double Action

Post by Chris Miceli 2/10/2017, 8:09 pm

Thin trigger or wide ?

Chris Miceli

Back to top Go down

Need Help With Revolver Double Action Empty Re: Need Help With Revolver Double Action

Post by rreid 2/10/2017, 8:14 pm

You probably need to adjust where you're placing your finger on the trigger.  Maybe rotate the gun slightly in your grip. With the long pull of the double action, I find that the sights don't stay perfectly aligned the entire time that I'm pulling the trigger, but they come into alignment just before the hammer falls.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by rreid 2/10/2017, 8:18 pm

Chris Miceli wrote:Thin trigger or wide ?
I've heard people say the wide trigger isn't ideal for double action, but I get by with mine. Might be harder if you have short fingers.
rreid
rreid

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon Eulette 2/10/2017, 8:21 pm

Revolvers take much better trigger control to shoot well double action. Single action is a matter of correct grip and squeezing of trigger. You didn't say SA or DA but takes lots of practice to develop the DA pull. No trick to it, proper finger location and continuous squeeze. I'm shooting 14-3 with great results. I have a wide trigger and might change to a narrow because I believe you can be more consistent on DA pull.
Jon
Jon Eulette
Jon Eulette

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/10/2017, 9:10 pm

I am talking just double action. I am using a wide trigger - that's just what came on it. A "3 T's" model. What are some of your double action trigger poundages set to?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/10/2017, 9:52 pm

Some PPC types favored a smooth front face trigger.  It allowed the finger to slide across the face.  They also went to a semi-wide trupigger that was between the target and the standard width trigger.
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tim:H11 2/10/2017, 10:03 pm

Wobbley wrote:Some PPC types favored a smooth front face trigger.  It allowed the finger to slide across the face.  They also went to a semi-wide trupigger that was between the target and the standard width trigger.

Is a smooth trigger allowed on a Distinguished Revolver gun? Specifically my S&W Model 14-3?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wobbley 2/10/2017, 10:51 pm

No clue.  But I think they were a factory option?
Wobbley
Wobbley
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CR10X 2/11/2017, 6:29 am

One thing to look at is the grip and the pressure exerted by the thumb and other 3 fingers when shooting double action. If you increase or decrease pressure on any of the other 4 fingers while operating the trigger, you will see a lot of jumping around when the hammer falls. That is one reason training using some double action shooting is a great benefit to mastering the grip to maintain even, constant and appropriate level of grip pressure needed.
CR

CR10X

Back to top Go down

Post by davekp 2/11/2017, 7:03 am

Tim:H11 wrote:I am talking just double action. I am using a wide trigger - that's just what came on it. A "3 T's" model. What are some of your double action trigger poundages set to?
If you're talking Distinguished Revolver pistols, you can't legally do anything to the mainspring itself to lighten the double action pull weight. You can adjust the "wear" of the strain screw, but I've never had any luck getting RELIABLE function with much reduction in pull weight.

davekp

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down