Bullseye-L Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I have a couple dumb questions- that's why I'm new

+3
AllAces
Paper-Puncher
Laminarman
7 posters

Go down

I have a couple dumb questions- that's why I'm new Empty I have a couple dumb questions- that's why I'm new

Post by Laminarman 3/8/2012, 6:34 pm

Unfortunately I can't make the local BE league due to working the evenings of practice and mornings of matches. But I am so interested in this discipline. I shoot many other things: skeet/trap/clays/silhouette rifle/handguns for recreation..etc.

Currently I shoot a Buckmark .22 and my Glocks, but am looking towards a .45 1911. I shot a guy's STI and boy, was that nice, so I'm looking at a Ranger with a trigger job from Brazos for $1,100. This guy had that setup and it felt great. I also shot a Kimber, Colt (can't remember the model) but the STI seemed a bit higher quality. Any thoughts on the STI guns? I'd like to keep below about $12-1400 if possible. Eventually I will replace the Buckmark but it's fun, paid for and I'm learning.

So right now I just shoot on my own using what resources I have, and I have fun learning. Hoping that next season my work schedule changes so I can participate in the league and learn more. My next question is about grouping. I keep seeing posts about certain guns not shooting well at 50' or wherever. How in the heck do you "pattern" a pistol or sight it in? Does it mean you HAVE to have a Ransom rest? I use a rolled up blanket or bag of shot and rest the gun, but not sure how you folks go about determining how well your handguns shoot and how you get consistency.

I enjoy this forum, just found it. And thanks for your patience.

Laminarman

Back to top Go down

I have a couple dumb questions- that's why I'm new Empty Re: I have a couple dumb questions- that's why I'm new

Post by Paper-Puncher 3/8/2012, 8:36 pm

you can shoot the gun over a rest @ 50ft and sight it so its dead center...this will get you close ....then you need to shoot it from your hand ...shoot several targets of slow fire and see where your shot groups land ...local the center of your shot group and adjust the sight/dot so your grouping will be centered on the bull ....since your new your grouping may be bigger ..just shot a few more targets ..as your skills increase you may need to adjust a tad....your grip and trigger control and finger placement on the trigger will shift your groups so they all need to be consistant as you can make them...As far as not being able to shoot leagues and such ..I am in the same boat..I work evenings and all the leagues indoor and outdoor are weekday evenings....at first I was kinda bumbed by this but now its just not a concern...I shoot Bullseye just for myself I enjoy it.. and it doent matter if I ever really shoot in a real match . I host matches on the Rimfire Central web sight and we have about 13-14 shooters that post scores every wk and this gives me someone to chase....and someone to beat every wk ..at some point my work scheudle may change and at that point a indoor 50ft league will be something I look into ...I shoot 2-3x a week and try to improve if only for personal satisfaction of shooting a good score ...I am trying to get the info to go thru the NRA ranking program. it is all self administered and on the honor system till you try for the Distingueshed ranking....so just go have at it and have fun , keep track of your scores and hang your good targets above your loading bench ...and just enjoy it for what it is....frustrating ....addicting ...and the most challangeing shooting Ive ever done....but its also very satisfying.....if your interested in the matches I host drop me a P.M. ......Keith

Last edited by Paper-Puncher on 3/8/2012, 9:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

I have a couple dumb questions- that's why I'm new Empty Re: I have a couple dumb questions- that's why I'm new

Post by Laminarman 3/8/2012, 8:53 pm

Paper-Puncher wrote:you can shoot the gun over a rest @ 50ft and sight it so its dead center...this will get you close ....then you need to shoot it from your hand ...shoot several targets of slow fire and see where your shot groups land ...local the center of your shot group and adjust the sight/dot so your grouping will be centered on the bull ....since your new your grouping may be bigger ..just shot a few more targets ..as your skills increase you may need to adjust a tad....your grip and trigger control and finger placement on the trigger will shift your groups so they all need to be consistant as you can make them...

Thank you. So I guess it's more than just the gun, it's the whole package. I can see my shooting skills are going to be the limiting factor here!

Laminarman

Back to top Go down

Post by AllAces 3/8/2012, 9:14 pm

Call Clark Custom Guns, purchase a Kimber from their retail side and have the shop do a trigger job and frame mount for a red dot. Talk to Clay, tell him you plan to use the 1911 for BE, and get his opinion on Kimbers as a starting point. Cost will be about what you plan to spend. Oh, if you reload, send him 50 or so rounds of what you plan to shoot.
AllAces
AllAces

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/9/2012, 10:03 am

The real test of any bullseye pistol is to check the accuracy at 50 yards. I use a Ransom Rest to do my testing. For sighting in, you can rest your arm on your gun box at any distance you are going to shoot. That will give you a rough zero. You can refine it "on the fly" as you shoot offhand and get consistent groups. You can get a very good used bullseye pistol within your stated budget. There are a lot of options for you besides sending a Kimber to Clark. That might work, but there are less expensive options. A Springfield Armory "Range Officer" has worked for some. The gun should cost around $700.00. The one you are looking at for $1,100 would be overpriced. They are charging you $400.00 for a trigger job. You would do better financially to buy a stock "Range Officer" and install a drop-in trigger job such as this: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9578/Product/1911-AUTO-DROP-IN-TRIGGER-JOB
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris_D 3/9/2012, 10:33 am

I am wondering if anyone has used this trigger job and if it in fact did work good. If so, that is next on my buy list for my range officer. I will say though, the standard trigger is damn good, just a bit heavy for me.

Chris

BE Mike wrote:The real test of any bullseye pistol is to check the accuracy at 50 yards. I use a Ransom Rest to do my testing. For sighting in, you can rest your arm on your gun box at any distance you are going to shoot. That will give you a rough zero. You can refine it "on the fly" as you shoot offhand and get consistent groups. You can get a very good used bullseye pistol within your stated budget. There are a lot of options for you besides sending a Kimber to Clark. That might work, but there are less expensive options. A Springfield Armory "Range Officer" has worked for some. The gun should cost around $700.00. The one you are looking at for $1,100 would be overpriced. They are charging you $400.00 for a trigger job. You would do better financially to buy a stock "Range Officer" and install a drop-in trigger job such as this: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9578/Product/1911-AUTO-DROP-IN-TRIGGER-JOB

Chris_D

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/9/2012, 11:53 am

I have done a trigger job on a SA Loaded. It seems to be pretty good, but the parts are MIM. The parts in the drop-ins are forged parts and I believe are made to closer tolerances. I know some old time shooters who have used the drop-ins and really like them.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by DavidR 3/9/2012, 12:35 pm

you dont need a trigger job on a RO, just google how to drop the pull weight, its simple 5 min deal.
DavidR
DavidR
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/9/2012, 4:29 pm

On my Springfield Loaded, the sear and hammer weren't square. I've seen this before on other SA 1911's. I stoned the sear to get them square. It made the pull more consistent. I also bent the leaf springs to lighten the weight a little.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by SMBeyer 3/9/2012, 9:03 pm

From what I have heard about the new Kimbers I wouldn't trade my one Range Officer for two Kimbers. Stock out of the box the trigger is a little heavy but smooth and consistent. I don't know what the drop in parts cost but a trigger job from my gunsmith costs $75. I am a horrible gunsmith so it was money well spent for me. Scott
SMBeyer
SMBeyer

Back to top Go down

Post by BE Mike 3/10/2012, 12:58 pm

SMBeyer wrote:From what I have heard about the new Kimbers I wouldn't trade my one Range Officer for two Kimbers. Stock out of the box the trigger is a little heavy but smooth and consistent. I don't know what the drop in parts cost but a trigger job from my gunsmith costs $75. I am a horrible gunsmith so it was money well spent for me. Scott
There's that and the fact that Springfield Armory supports the shooting sports big time. IIRC, Springfield Armory presented a check for a million dollars to the NRA Endowment for competitive shooting at Camp Perry, a few years ago.
BE Mike
BE Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper-Puncher 3/28/2012, 12:49 am

I wouldnt take 3 kimbers for my RO.....The RO has the National Match forged frame and slide and mine shoots a 1'' @ 25yds ...The Kimber I had barely held 3'' at 50ft......But I aint gonna get started on that whole thing again.....Springfield built the RO to be a base on which to build ..I added a .200 slide stop pin and a EGW barrel bushing and Ive seen my gun cut a 1'' hole at 25yds....with the stock barrel.....next step in time will be slide to frame touch up and a KArt barrel....but for now I'm pleased the gun shoots better than I can hold.....my SA loaded which SA just reworked will shoot 230gr +p XTP's into 1.5 at 25yds ....SA stands behind their product....Kimber doesnt......I know from personal experience ....................the Kimber series 1's where good guns .....but the bean counters have takin over the series 2's are a disapointment.....

Paper-Puncher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down